Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 06:49 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I really wish the city and county could actually get along. All of this infighting only hurts Chatham County in the long run...

Quote:
Tucked away in west Savannah on land owned by Chatham County, the 641 acres of forest and wetlands known as the Blue Sky Preserve serves as a refuge for wildlife and nature lovers. But back downtown, the nature preserve is shaping up to be the latest source of debate between city and county leaders.

That is because city officials say they were caught off guard after learning from the Savannah Morning News that the county is seeking help from state lawmakers to remove the preserve from Savannah’s boundaries using de-annexation legislation.

“I’m very disappointed by that,” City Manager Rob Hernandez said Tuesday. “That no one from the county reached out to us.”
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...hs-city-limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Easily explained: Chatham County is emboldened by the future referendums that will form Island City and Skidaway Island, thus thwarting the City of Savannah from ever consolidating and even annexing. The city has been severely weakened, so why not seek to shoot it in the foot with another maneuver?

Theoretically no unincorporated county secretly pursues legislation to de-annex territory from the main municipality. One does: Chatham. A couple of years ago, the same unincorporated county encouraged a Chatham businessman to try to de-annex Hutchinson Island (part of Savannah for the last century) for his business interests. No one should be surprised here -- just as no one should be stunned if Pooler is allowed to annex Georgetown, or if the newly formed Island City tries to annex Sandfly/Isle of Hope/Ferguson Ave.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
It may be simply, Chatham county wants to pave some wetlands, and be able to claim this park as credits. The article says thusly. Kudos to the city for creating a large park (potentially) at New Hampstead, even though the article said some on city council say it might be "too much to maintain" which is crazy as it is a few trails and will help property value, health and enjoyment of people in the area. Good bang for the buck! Developers know this and will prob get the city to do it.

The main thing I am concerned about is Pooler, gobbling up the county. I don't want to live between strip malls video billboards etc not a tree in sight. I know I'll get pilloried for this and sure nowhere is perfect but I'd rather live in the county. At least the city and county are creating parks and trails. The good news is Pooler still has plenty of space to get it right, for now.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM

450 posts, read 462,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
It may be simply, Chatham county wants to pave some wetlands, and be able to claim this park as credits. The article says thusly. Kudos to the city for creating a large park (potentially) at New Hampstead, even though the article said some on city council say it might be "too much to maintain" which is crazy as it is a few trails and will help property value, health and enjoyment of people in the area. Good bang for the buck! Developers know this and will prob get the city to do it.

The main thing I am concerned about is Pooler, gobbling up the county. I don't want to live between strip malls video billboards etc not a tree in sight. I know I'll get pilloried for this and sure nowhere is perfect but I'd rather live in the county. At least the city and county are creating parks and trails. The good news is Pooler still has plenty of space to get it right, for now.
You don't have to worry about Pooler or anyone else gobbling up the County. No municipality can annex any area that has residents without a vote approving it from the current residents AND those in the annexed area. As you stated Pooler still has over 25% of its current land area available for development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: