U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 05:00 AM

6,469 posts, read 5,712,185 times

Advertisements

I couldn't agree more...

Quote:
The next river crossing should be east of downtown in order to improve east-west traffic flow. Project DeRenne, assuming it’s ever completed, is a half-measure -- much like the Truman Parkway’s south extension, which connects to Abercorn Street three miles short of where it needs to from a commuter perspective.

Extending the Truman Parkway north across, or under, the river is a natural solution.
https://www.savannahnow.com/opinion/...almadge-bridge

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-23-2018 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: copyright
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 05:58 AM

4,524 posts, read 7,723,855 times
Good solution, but what about 16 traffic? I guess they’ll have to take 95 unless they feel like cutting through downtown.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:10 AM

6,469 posts, read 5,712,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Good solution, but what about 16 traffic? I guess they’ll have to take 95 unless they feel like cutting through downtown.
Personally, I feel a two bridge solution would be best. One east of downtown, aka Truman Pkwy extension, north to I-95 in SC. Also a new bridge on the westside that would still feed into U.S. 17 and serve convention center traffic and future traffic from the Jasper Port. As far as east-west traffic is concerned, DeRenne should have been built as a freeway many years ago. East-West travel through Savannah is poor and with the increased population growth, port growth and industrial growth it will only get worse.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:06 AM

392 posts, read 267,723 times
If the two bridges are an option, why couldn't the second (northwest) bridge be the Houlihan? They have money to replace it already. It could be extended along the path of Bonnybridge Road and tie into Jimmy Deloach, this could redirect Eastbound 16 traffic to the new Jimmy Deloach extension and into SC. Then curve and follow the planned rail corridor down to 17 in SC. The main bridge from the Truman can go to Hutchinson Island and add an exit and then continue across as a low bridge into SC and connect with the proposed 4 lane road/rail access to the Jasper Ports Project. That would loop you from Abercorn down across the river, up to Jimmy Deloach to 95 and on to 16. Eventually, Jimmy Deloach could be extended toward Abercorn/204 area.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:34 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,484,081 times
"The tricky part will be devising a return trip to close the loop." The only thing "loopy" is the editorial itself and the homer hubris behind it. There will be no span east of the city from the Truman Parkway. It would be an environmentally and financially challenged project even for a city of 2 million. The increased truck traffic via Abercorn and new super-DeRenne is basis enough to doubt it. Its price tag and practicality completely deep-six it.

"Dream big!" Hasn't that always been the problem in Georgia's second-tier cities? Unfounded science fiction for the 22nd century replaces reality in the 20th and 21st. Our reality: it won't happen, folks.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:25 PM

482 posts, read 213,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Personally, I feel a two bridge solution would be best. One east of downtown, aka Truman Pkwy extension, north to I-95 in SC. Also a new bridge on the westside that would still feed into U.S. 17 and serve convention center traffic and future traffic from the Jasper Port. As far as east-west traffic is concerned, DeRenne should have been built as a freeway many years ago. East-West travel through Savannah is poor and with the increased population growth, port growth and industrial growth it will only get worse.
Dumbest idea ever & shows a complete lack of knowledge regarding Savannah traffic flow (and local geography).

Only one bridge over the river is needed (high rise). You don't "loop the city" by running four lanes of traffic thru SC marsh. The cost would be astronomical. Instead, US 17 in SC should be built up to interstate standards and extended north to hit I-95 a few miles north of SC Exit 8. Badge it as a continuation of I-16. Or let's get ever crazier....draw I-77 south from Columbia and have it end as it crosses the Sav River bridge. Won't happen, I know, but the crazy ideas of the past (double decking Derenne, Tunnels under Bay St, etc.) need to be laid to rest. Before the Anderson/Henry St. corridor became gentrified, that would have been a great place to have led I-16 down to meet up with the Truman.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,484,081 times
I agree that any future bridge span should be as west of the city as possible, perhaps even to the west of all Port of Savannah/future Jasper terminals. The river up to the terminals has to be free of encumbrances as ships become larger and higher.

That said, there's little chance I-16 would ever have been designed to bisect midtown to meet Truman Pkwy. It would have meant bulldozing venerable old cityspaces where people actually lived. That was a model through the mid-1960s to connect cities to other population centers. But Savannah was "the end of the line" in 1970-73. It would have been really bonkers to displace thousands of people and create a hole in central-south neighborhoods. For what? To link sparsely populated islands? Areas east of the city still have little commerce -- they're mostly suburban tracts, which Truman handles well. Outer parkways like the Truman, loops such as Augusta's I-520 Bobby Jones Expwy, bypasses like Columbus's I-185 Lindsay Creek are the way roadbuilders and politicians do it, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or