U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:04 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,317,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
I was born and raised in Savannah, and currently live in Manhattan. There is plenty not to like about NYC summers.. concrete traps in the heat, smells of the city, A/C is often out on subway cars, etc. You are subjected to the heat much more. The lifestyle and quality of life is just so different in Savannah, that summers there are more tolerable to me. I'd also suggest visiting in the summer to see for yourself.
The hottest, smelliest, most miserably unbearable place I’ve ever been in my entire life was Manhattan in July
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 AM

22,719 posts, read 11,886,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilde2714 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to Savannah from NYC. I visited once in April and I loved it. However, I have been reading that it rains every day in the summertime, and the humidity is brutal. We have bad humidity here in NYC too for at least one month in the summer, I can't really tolerate it here and I have to stay in air conditioning on days when it is really bad. I wonder if it is more tolerable in Savannah because of the tree cover? How many months does the high humidity last? Also does it really rain every day during the summer? What exactly does that mean? Are there sporadic showers or steady rain all day and night? Is the sky overcast all the time? I don't think I would like being somewhere if there was no sunshine during the summer months. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the summer rainfall to me.
Humidity is no joke, I don't think I could take that southeast humidity for months every year again...for some people, they bear it quite well. You need to spend some time in the summer there to see how you bear it.

Savannah gets over 60% sunshine for the year and over 60% all summer so it can be sunny, cloud up and downpour, and then get sunny again day after day in the summer.

It rains 108 days of the year on average with August having the most rainy days...as someone now residing in the PNW, that isn't too bad. The difference is that you get huge downpours in Savannah.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,224,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Humidity is no joke, I don't think I could take that southeast humidity for months every year again...for some people, they bear it quite well. You need to spend some time in the summer there to see how you bear it.

The difference is that you get huge downpours in Savannah.
That usually last less than 30 minutes. It's not like it is raining all day. Clean and refreshing.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:00 AM

22,719 posts, read 11,886,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
That usually last less than 30 minutes. It's not like it is raining all day. Clean and refreshing.
True and I know humidity doesn't bother some people as much as it affects me. Every time I'm back in a humid climate it reminds of why I left.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
I was born and raised in Savannah, and currently live in Manhattan. There is plenty not to like about NYC summers.. concrete traps in the heat, smells of the city, A/C is often out on subway cars, etc. You are subjected to the heat much more. The lifestyle and quality of life is just so different in Savannah, that summers there are more tolerable to me. I'd also suggest visiting in the summer to see for yourself.
I disagree. Many folks who move from New York still imagine living as they did in NYC: "out and about" even when they're not out carousing. You walk everywhere in NY-- even car owners. You take 10 sidewalks daily, do grocery shopping (and lug it all back) on foot. Savannahians, even those with social lives downtown, are inside their cars and homes far more often. TallTraveler has to consider all that. No one is saying July/Aug. on a 103-degree NYC subway platform is fun. But if you hope to live "on the outside" in Savannah as you did in NYC, you will encounter brutal coastal Georgia heat/humidity for four and a half straight months.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 01-04-2019 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 6,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I disagree. Many folks who move from New York still imagine living as they did in NYC: "out and about" even when they're not out carousing. You walk everywhere in NY-- even car owners. You take 10 sidewalks daily, do grocery shopping (and lug it all back) on foot. Savannahians, even those with social lives downtown, are inside their cars and homes far more often. TallTraveler has to consider all that. No one is saying July/Aug. on a 103-degree NYC subway platform is fun. But if you hope to live "on the outside" in Savannah as you did in NYC, you will encounter brutal coastal Georgia heat/humidity for four and a half straight months.
The lifestyles are different. The cities are built differently and the transportation infrastructure is different. There are few parts of Savannah you can walk downstairs and carry home almost any of your basic needs as we do in NYC. There are certainly many factors to consider.

Savannah summers are more tolerable to me.. simply my personal experience. The OP can come check it out and see what works for them.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,224,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilde2714 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to Savannah from NYC. I visited once in April and I loved it. However, I have been reading that it rains every day in the summertime, and the humidity is brutal. We have bad humidity here in NYC too for at least one month in the summer, I can't really tolerate it here and I have to stay in air conditioning on days when it is really bad. I wonder if it is more tolerable in Savannah because of the tree cover? How many months does the high humidity last? Also does it really rain every day during the summer? What exactly does that mean? Are there sporadic showers or steady rain all day and night? Is the sky overcast all the time? I don't think I would like being somewhere if there was no sunshine during the summer months. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the summer rainfall to me.x
With just an ity bitty work on the web you can see clearly all the stats on the weather. It's real easy I assure you. Temps for the year, rainfall, humidity the works. Personally I would find that more interesting than those that have a antidote attached to their personal comments. Not trying to fluff you off but this is not a confusing subject. From your OP I take it as my "personal opinion " is you will not be happy here.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 AM

2,284 posts, read 809,521 times
What an odd question from the OP. Savannah, GA and pretty much the entire Southeast are extremely humid and hot during summer, which also lasts extremely long. There might be circumstances where NYC - due to it being a major city full of people - might be uncomfortable during summer, but if it is the *heat* and *humidity* there which are the problem, Savannah is the opposite of a fix. It'd be like someone moving to the Washington state coast line to escape the rain.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,324,149 times
If you can't stand humidity, then you couldn't have visited the Hudson Valley very often. Moved here two years ago this month. Yes, there are thunderstorms-not all the time or every day. Depends on where you are in Chatham County. We love it, just wish we'd done this YEARS ago. But taking care of my elderly Mom before she passed, well that was more worth it. We love how we are considered the county-but are less than 4 miles to the city line. 5 miles to every single thing we need. I have saved a BUNDLE since moving here. I don't mind the summers at all-just wish I still had the pool I had in NY-I was only able to use that from June to Aug. Here it would get used a LOT longer.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:28 AM

40,325 posts, read 49,883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
If you can't stand humidity, then you couldn't have visited the Hudson Valley very often. Moved here two years ago this month. Yes, there are thunderstorms-not all the time or every day. Depends on where you are in Chatham County. We love it, just wish we'd done this YEARS ago. But taking care of my elderly Mom before she passed, well that was more worth it. We love how we are considered the county-but are less than 4 miles to the city line. 5 miles to every single thing we need. I have saved a BUNDLE since moving here. I don't mind the summers at all-just wish I still had the pool I had in NY-I was only able to use that from June to Aug. Here it would get used a LOT longer.
Glad to hear you’re still happy here campingmom. You always embraced the changes and differences with open arms, instead of nitpicking the things that were different. It’s a good attitude for everyone who moves to a different area of the country to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or