Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,479 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Savannah from NYC. I visited once in April and I loved it. However, I have been reading that it rains every day in the summertime, and the humidity is brutal. We have bad humidity here in NYC too for at least one month in the summer, I can't really tolerate it here and I have to stay in air conditioning on days when it is really bad. I wonder if it is more tolerable in Savannah because of the tree cover? How many months does the high humidity last? Also does it really rain every day during the summer? What exactly does that mean? Are there sporadic showers or steady rain all day and night? Is the sky overcast all the time? I don't think I would like being somewhere if there was no sunshine during the summer months. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the summer rainfall to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 05:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilde2714 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to Savannah from NYC. I visited once in April and I loved it. However, I have been reading that it rains every day in the summertime, and the humidity is brutal. We have bad humidity here in NYC too for at least one month in the summer, I can't really tolerate it here and I have to stay in air conditioning on days when it is really bad. I wonder if it is more tolerable in Savannah because of the tree cover? How many months does the high humidity last? Also does it really rain every day during the summer? What exactly does that mean? Are there sporadic showers or steady rain all day and night? Is the sky overcast all the time? I don't think I would like being somewhere if there was no sunshine during the summer months. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the summer rainfall to me.
The humidity never really leaves... I grew up in northern Ohio & then moved to Cincinnati after I was discharged from the Navy. Cincinnati is a lot more humid than 100 miles north & is nothing compared to Savannah.

The high humidity lasts about 4 months from the middle of May to the middle of September but remember it's still in the 90's till late October on occasion & it was 83 yesterday which is kinda of unusual.

It doesn't rain everyday during the summer.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM

450 posts, read 462,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilde2714 View Post
Grew up in D.C. Been here almost 30 years now, the humidity can be brutal. I still can't stand it, you spend a lot of time in doors with the A/C running. The four months of fall, winter and spring are great though!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Forget Savannah. The Deep South (all of it except the highest elevations of the Appalachians) has brutal summer heat with high humidity. I grew up in Savannah and live in NYC. As bad as our month (it's more like two months) of summer is in NY, it's worse in Savannah and it lasts longer. Also worse in Savannah: the summer bugs. NYC has none to speak of.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
I love the daily afternoon thunderstorms in Savannah ... just saying. You can almost set your watch by them ... they usually roll in around 3 pm and last about 30 minutes. If cools things off a bit.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I love the daily afternoon thunderstorms in Savannah ... just saying. You can almost set your watch by them ... they usually roll in around 3 pm and last about 30 minutes. If cools things off a bit.
I love it. Nothing like a cocktail at 5pm with the rain pounding down. Then it stops and the sun comes out again and the sky turns blue. How good is that! Who cares about the humidity, especially at night? How many of us are really affected by that? Spend a couple of bux and go out and meet people or bring your partner out if they are complaining.

As far " always raining": I'm always remember on one of my numerous trips to the Dominican Republic, while we were landing, the passenger next to me said " I wonder why it's so green here? Duh. I said to the climate challenged person " Wait until four o'clock today, and in fact 4 o'clock every day, and you'll find out". Lol

Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
The rain and gray skies up north are nothing like here. As others have said, the sun is almost always shining here. On many summer afternoons, the rain clouds roll in and it pours buckets for an hour. Then the clouds move on and the sun comes out again. It’s a nice respite.

It is ungodly hot here in the summer, but nothing is perfect, and you do get used to it.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 AM

89 posts, read 86,331 times
We relocated from MD 6 months ago. It's hot and humid in MD. But my goodness it is a whole other animal down here. The other day I was at The Home Depot getting things to get ready for the next gardening season - in shorts and a t-shirt. Planning to garden in in late DECEMBER?!?!?! While the summers are hot, we have had our fill of blizzards, ice, shoveling and bitter cold temps and wind. We happily traded all that for a hot summer.

The daily summer rain is just like Newsboy described. The storms that breeze through are kinda "fun" in a way. I may be in my later 40's but when the storms come without the lightning (not too often but it does happen) it's still fun going outside and playing in it.

One of the things we did before relocating was to come to Savannah during each season to get a taste of what it would be like. If you haven't come down in the middle of summer yet I highly suggest you come down for a week and see first hand what we've all described. That's the best way to know if you can manage the heat.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
It's hot and humid in MD. But my goodness it is a whole other animal down here.
Well said, and exactly why the OP is the last person who should choose Savannah as their permanent home (or anywhere in the coastal Deep South). If you live in New York, really can't stand the humidity, and have a problem with NYC in August, you will be positively miserable in Savannah. Everyone considering life in Savannah (unless you get a fantastic job offer or a forced military move) should visit the city between June 15 and Sept. 15. Otherwise, don't move.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 PM

64 posts, read 68,840 times
I was born and raised in Savannah, and currently live in Manhattan. There is plenty not to like about NYC summers.. concrete traps in the heat, smells of the city, A/C is often out on subway cars, etc. You are subjected to the heat much more. The lifestyle and quality of life is just so different in Savannah, that summers there are more tolerable to me. I'd also suggest visiting in the summer to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: