U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 PM

408 posts, read 377,203 times

Advertisements

Publix will officially return to Statesboro after vacating the City 20 years ago.

https://www.statesboroherald.com/loc...ns-statesboro/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,327,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Publix will officially return to Statesboro after vacating the City 20 years ago.

https://www.statesboroherald.com/loc...ns-statesboro/
Not just that, but also a new movie theater as well! Glad to see construction starting on the new stadium!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 9,506 times
Default publix

so did they return? what other grocery stores in area? thinking of moving outside of city soon.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM

6,790 posts, read 3,478,756 times
They only made the announcement in March...it'll likely be 2020 before they open.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 AM

11 posts, read 9,506 times
thanks. my kingdom for a Kroger's in area

Old 07-30-2019, 05:35 PM

There was a Kroger in Statesboro many years ago, at the sMall. It had been an M&M supermarket. Kroger bought the M&M chain and converted the stores to Krogers. It was old and outdated, and like the Publix nearby, became a liability to Kroger since it was an "outpost" of sorts for them (most of the M&M's had been in Savannah). After they closed the Kroger at the sMall, the property owners tore it down because it was too outdated and worn out to be re-leased. BI-LO came to the site and built a new store soon after.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,274,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
There was a Kroger in Statesboro many years ago, at the sMall. It had been an M&M supermarket. Kroger bought the M&M chain and converted the stores to Krogers. It was old and outdated, and like the Publix nearby, became a liability to Kroger since it was an "outpost" of sorts for them (most of the M&M's had been in Savannah). After they closed the Kroger at the sMall, the property owners tore it down because it was too outdated and worn out to be re-leased. BI-LO came to the site and built a new store soon after.
Kroger eventually abandoned (or replaced) all of the old M&M locations in Savannah so that's understandable but pulling out of Statesboro altogether never made sense especially while Publix was still there. They could have easily owned the market. And it's not like Statesboro is THAT isolated from the Kroger supply chain. There's are Kroger stores in Dublin to the west and Rincon to the east and Hinesville to the South. There's one in Waycross for crying out loud which is 50 miles from the nearest interstate.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Kroger eventually abandoned (or replaced) all of the old M&M locations in Savannah so that's understandable but pulling out of Statesboro altogether never made sense especially while Publix was still there. They could have easily owned the market. And it's not like Statesboro is THAT isolated from the Kroger supply chain. There's are Kroger stores in Dublin to the west and Rincon to the east and Hinesville to the South. There's one in Waycross for crying out loud which is 50 miles from the nearest interstate.
And, correct me if I’m wrong, but Hinesville, Rincon, and Waycross were also M&M stores that were eventually replaced with larger stores in the mid to late 90s. Jesup also has an M&M/Kroger store, which was never enlarged and closed about 15 years ago. My dad worked there in the late 70s.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM

At the time, the prevailing wisdom seemed to be that Kroger left because there were so many competitors. I always thought it was strange that as GSC/GSU grew, the supermarket choices seemed to dwindle. I am not sure on the timing, but I think Kroger closed up around the same time Winn-Dixie did, and I never shopped the original Publix enough to get a grasp of when that store closed up. Back then, Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly seemed to dominate that town; adding the grocery end to WalMart years later seemed to chase those two away.

I had a sentimental attachment to that old Kroger because one of my first jobs was bagging groceries there. I recall the first time the manager told me to clean that grotesque bathroom. The store was so old that it did not have a public bathroom--it was in the stockroom, and we had to direct customers there. It smelled so horrible that I poured an entire quart of ammonia in the toilet and left it to 'marinate'. I think someone complained because I was never asked to do it again.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM

The sign is up, so it seems to be more than rumor now.

https://www.wjcl.com/article/publix-...sence/29464418
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or