U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:56 PM

6,469 posts, read 5,712,185 times

Advertisements

It's sad to see how much trees Western Chatham has lost over the years...
Quote:
Around 40 years ago, it was a small town of around 2,000 people. Census data from 2017 puts that number right below 24,000.

Shopping centers, businesses, cul-de-sacs, grocery stores and hundreds of other developments appear regularly on city council and planning agendas.

But all growth, be it commercial, residential or industrial, is usually preceded by the clearing of land and the trees growing there.

In 2014, Chatham County officials reviewed a tree loss analysis from Colorado-based company Plan-It Geo, funded by a grant from the Savannah Tree Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to preserving, protecting and planting canopy trees in Savannah and Chatham County.

The study found the county had been losing the equivalent of three football fields of trees every day from 1999 to 2014. Most of that loss came from the western side of the county — Port Wentworth, Bloomingdale and Pooler -- where developers razed pine plantations as well as natural hardwood forests to make way for houses, parking lots, warehouses and businesses.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...opy-fades-away
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 PM

4,524 posts, read 7,723,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
It's sad to see how much trees Western Chatham has lost over the years...

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...opy-fades-away
If you guys think Savannah is bad, you should see the aerial view over Metro Atlanta. It ain't pretty. I can't even begin to imagine how many trees have been lost over the years in North Georgia.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:39 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,484,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
If you guys think Savannah is bad, you should see the aerial view over Metro Atlanta. It ain't pretty. I can't even begin to imagine how many trees have been lost over the years in North Georgia.
Lots of Atlanta 'burbs are actually green and leafy. No one would say they are all perfectly planned, all of Mother Nature perfectly preserved, but even with all the highways there's no comparison with suburban Savannah. Savannah's suburbs in the 1960s (which then meant the Southside) were largely green, even between the newer subdivisions. Chatham County has since embraced a different model: the blandest and most de-natured utilitarian suburban sprawl you'll find anywhere. Pooler, which has largely expanded in the last 15 years, is a prime example. It is a suburban example of what not to do. Cobb and Gwinnett Counties, which I've seen on multiple visits, do much better.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:10 PM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times
I don’t get the big deal about the trees in Pooler. The very venerable trees are protected, which i totally agree with, and the tree fund allows for strategic replacement of the trees that are removed. As someone said in the article, old trees are repositioned according to a plan.

A tree is like any other plant. It grows back. I prefer this to places like Beaufort, SC, where some shopping center parking lots are built around the live oaks. The pavement is a roller coaster of roots, and the enormous limbs over the cars are like impending death.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A tree is like any other plant. It grows back. I prefer this to places like Beaufort, SC, where some shopping center parking lots are built around the live oaks. The pavement is a roller coaster of roots, and the enormous limbs over the cars are like impending death.
Seems there's a middle ground for Pooler, which is a suburb rather than a historic old town like Beaufort. Though Old Pooler dates back to the Civil War, most of what is Pooler today is headed toward a very unsightly future without a plan.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:09 PM

411 posts, read 378,501 times
If you go back and look at photos of Ardsley Park and Chatham Crescent in the 1910s and 20s, they also clear cut those neighborhoods. 100 years later, trees that have been planted back by the original developers, subsequent home owners, and Mother Nature, replenishing the canopy.

Check out the link to the neighborhood association for some early photos.

History - Ardsley Park Chatham Crescent Neighborhood Association

Old 06-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
If you go back and look at photos of Ardsley Park and Chatham Crescent in the 1910s and 20s, they also clear cut those neighborhoods. 100 years later, trees that have been planted back by the original developers, subsequent home owners, and Mother Nature, replenishing the canopy.

Check out the link to the neighborhood association for some early photos.

History - Ardsley Park Chatham Crescent Neighborhood Association
A faulty comparison between early 20th-century southern town aesthetics and 21st-century southern ex-urban sprawl. Chatham Crescent was actually an extension of the Oglethorpe Plan, which one can easily see from the map. The Crescent 100 years ago was adjacent to Victory Drive, a memorial thoroughfare planned with greenery. And what else could they do with the Crescent at the outset but mostly clear-cut? It was thick woods. Did the City of Savannah go whole-hog unplanned/unregulated and add in strip malls with 7-Elevens and no sidewalks? No, it added vest-pocket parks, medians and borders with azaleas, dogwood and wisteria, and put Savannah High smack at the center. Very different situation -- and regarding Pooler, total wishful thinking.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM

411 posts, read 378,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
A faulty comparison between early 20th-century southern town aesthetics and 21st-century southern ex-urban sprawl. Chatham Crescent was actually an extension of the Oglethorpe Plan, which one can easily see from the map. The Crescent 100 years ago was adjacent to Victory Drive, a memorial thoroughfare planned with greenery. And what else could they do with the Crescent at the outset but mostly clear-cut? It was thick woods. Did the City of Savannah go whole-hog unplanned/unregulated and add in strip malls with 7-Elevens and no sidewalks? No, it added vest-pocket parks, medians and borders with azaleas, dogwood and wisteria, and put Savannah High smack at the center. Very different situation -- and regarding Pooler, total wishful thinking.
Note: I did not compare the city planning or architecture of the two. I was simply illustrating that the trees came back. I’m not trying to argue Pooler is well-planned. Just showing a local example of another area that was clear cut.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Seems there's a middle ground for Pooler, which is a suburb rather than a historic old town like Beaufort. Though Old Pooler dates back to the Civil War, most of what is Pooler today is headed toward a very unsightly future without a plan.
This is what I disagree with. They have a plan. They operate according to the plan. You can argue against the plan if you want, but it remains to be seen if it works or not.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 AM

446 posts, read 251,760 times
When I was visited Savannah in August 2015 I felt a little claustrophobic because of all the trees downtown, in full leaf and dripping Spanish moss. I am from nearer Atlanta and never feel that claustrophobic-tree feeling up here on the Piedmont, because of the hillier terrain. There is a veritable sea of trees outside my window; even in the middle of winter, with all the hardwoods, you can't see the houses for the trees. But in Savannah I realized what a friend from New Mexico had meant when newly arrived in Atlanta -- tree-phobia.

I hate the way developers cut down trees to make way for "development." Don't they know we need trees in order to breathe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area