Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Gay man moving into the deep south of GA. Think again my friend and choose SE FL or Fort Lauderdale specifically. I feel right at home there full of transplants from my region. Savannah is beautiful, but the culture is too religious and way too socially conservative no matter what you hear from locals. There isn't even one decent gay bar in the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 02:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There isn't even one decent gay bar in the town.

LOL - I'm way too old for bars! That's about 448th on my criteria list.

Anyhow, to put a neat little bow on this discussion and wrap it up - at this point I am in Oregon. If everything holds, I'll be starting a new job in Phoenix towards the end of June/early July. The hiring paperwork was actually in process in mid-March but the company clamped down on new hiring, and my foot was not yet in the door. I would much rather have moved to Phoenix in March than July, but I can take it!
I'm used to desert heat having lived for a few years in Palm Springs and then Tucson. One-teens with 4% humidity doesn't faze me one bit.

Phoenix is kinda large for me, but a job is a job - and those are hard to come by these days. I'll have to put my city fantasy aside for a few years... maybe I can retire to Sedona!

Sorry to have wasted all yall's time. Bye everyone.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I had a co-worker in AZ (originally from the Savannah-Charleston region) who offered to help me job-wise if I managed to find a way to relocate there, but she took off from our toxic office environment, and disappeared.

Then, I left that bad job situation as well last October, moved home to PDX, and promptly became unemployed the minute the coronavirus started hitting in March.

Now, there are millions of fellow unemployed and no compelling reason for an employer across the country to hire someone so far away when there are probably hundreds of applicants right there banging on the front door.

(...if that wasn't enough dreck and drama, Bobby Deen had twins, which eliminated my last hope he'd come to his senses, ditch the wife, change teams, and invite me to Savannah.)

[Yeah yeah... TMI.]
Wow, sorry to hear all that, but glad you secured a job in Arizona. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-13-2020, 03:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,867 times
Quote:
Gay man moving into the deep south of GA. Think again my friend and choose SE FL or Fort Lauderdale specifically. I feel right at home there full of transplants from my region. Savannah is beautiful, but the culture is too religious and way too socially conservative no matter what you hear from locals. There isn't even one decent gay bar in the town.
I agree
Atlanta is probably the most superior LGBTQ+ city in Georgia
Specifically midtown

Old 06-01-2020, 01:22 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Good God, are you still pushing this anti-Southern garbage?

Savannah has urbanism, character and soul that runs circles around anything in Broward County. It doesn't matter how many gay bars exist in your little ticky-tacky bubble of Wilton Manors, Savannah produced the likes of Lady Chablis - enough said.

Stick to what you know, Filthadelphia and an echo chamber of it with palm trees in South Florida.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
This just not true at all. For a small city its surprising gay friendly.Ever hear of the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?Im not a local either but have family there and been there many times.
There is a Club One that is a gay bar and been there for years.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
LOL - I'm way too old for bars! That's about 448th on my criteria list.

Anyhow, to put a neat little bow on this discussion and wrap it up - at this point I am in Oregon. If everything holds, I'll be starting a new job in Phoenix towards the end of June/early July. The hiring paperwork was actually in process in mid-March but the company clamped down on new hiring, and my foot was not yet in the door. I would much rather have moved to Phoenix in March than July, but I can take it!
I'm used to desert heat having lived for a few years in Palm Springs and then Tucson. One-teens with 4% humidity doesn't faze me one bit.

Phoenix is kinda large for me, but a job is a job - and those are hard to come by these days. I'll have to put my city fantasy aside for a few years... maybe I can retire to Sedona!

Sorry to have wasted all yall's time. Bye everyone.
Phoenix is big but you can find an area in the metro where it wont feel so big. Its a great compromise.Good luck to you

Old 06-02-2020, 07:08 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Savannah is more progressive and cosmopolitan than a lot of cities other small to mid size c cities down here and I would welcome you here. Good luck to the poster who moved to PHX.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:30 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Phoenix is big but you can find an area in the metro where it wont feel so big. Its a great compromise.Good luck to you
I didn't realize the conversation kept on going after I left! Anyhow, I followed this suggestion to the letter, even though I didn't know about it. I'm near my job way out on the north side of town. The only downside is if I want to head to the central part of the city for socializing or anything (not that that's happening right now anyway) it's a 20 mile drive... but I'm old and don't do that sort of thing much anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area