Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

...and no, I haven't been drinking. (yet)

Rapidly-aging gay male with the odometer stuck at 49. I've applied for a job in Savannah and thanks to connections, have an "in" so I'm darned near guaranteed at least an interview. Took a wrong turn into a bad job situation here in AZ so am taking the opportunity to have a late-life mid-life crisis and question my assumptions, even if it means re-introducing myself to something called "humidity".

It took me forever, but I finally figured out my favorite city environment is the category called 'Smallish City Which Punches Above its Weight Class'. In short, I want things to do and cultural amenities too, but don't want to fight through a few million people to do it.

Examples would be

Palm Springs CA (thanks to all those old Hollywood stars and the rich gay folks)
Ashland OR (thanks to the Shakespearean Festival)
Austin TX (of a couple decades ago, no longer qualifies - got too big for its britches)
Savannah

I thought Tucson was "it", but the residents' main occupation is saying "We're not Phoenix so don't expect much".

I put the cart before the horse and rode it around virtual Savannah to look for potential neighborhoods, and am liking what I see on Wilmington Island; close enough to town to do stuff but then able to retreat back to the relative quiet and yell at the whippersnappers to get off my lawn.

My major concern is the gay thing. (Did I mention I've been gay almost since color TV...) I'm a volunteer at heart so I'll definitely check out the LGBT Center, but I'm wondering how one hooks into the gay community. Is it all on the down-low? I don't see a gay paper, and the two Facebook groups I stumbled across look old and disused. I'm well past dating age so that's not the issue - just want to get involved and meet people; should that come to pass.

I hate myself somewhat for making this post because I've been one in the past to flinch at folks who post on CD that "I want to live in a Polish neighborhood in Phoenix" or "Why can't I find a good bagel in Tucson" or "I'm Chinese and want to live in a Chinese apartment complex in Lake Havasu"... trust me, I have lots of friends all over the socio-economic/political/sexual-orientation Venn Diagrams... I just want to make sure I get some gay in my life too.

Wow. That was long. Extra points given to anybody who makes it through alive. Have a good Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Without getting too specific ... I think Savannah may offer exactly what you’re looking for.

Let me collect my gay thoughts and get back to you.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 AM

Thank you - looking forward to it.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I recently moved to Wilmington Island and love it, enough to do right on the island that the only time I'll head downtown is when I have visitors. A nice glass of cabernet on the islands is costing me $4.50-$6.00 downtown same glass will be $10-12. I'm not gay so can't give a perspective on the gay life here.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Check out Coffee Bluff, it has all the things you are asking for also.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
I've got nothing but found the energy in your post absolutely adorable!
Best of luck!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I've got nothing but found the energy in your post absolutely adorable!
Best of luck!
Well gol'shux, to come home from work and find this comment... you are most kind. I haven't been called adorable since the Johnson Administration*.

(*Lyndon, not Andrew)

Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
You said the odometer is stuck at 49. Color television came in about 1960, IIRC. I was 7 and I'm 65 now. 49? really? It's cool if you feel 49. Good luck on your journey!

Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I've been to Savannah a few times. I had a relative that was based there with the military. He has since retired. He and his family liked Savannah, but not enough to settle there at retirement. I also had 2 gay friends that moved there. They have since moved back to Oregon or Washington State. They also liked it, but not enough to remain there. Those 2 moved there for a warmer more affordable location. They got that in Savannah, but the personality of the South wasn't for them. Or so they said.

When I have visited it is nice. Of course when I have visited I guess I'm a tourist. There are quite a few in and around the area. As there are Military from the base there.

I think it could be a nice place to live. I do recommend you make a visit, and see how it fits you. Moving to far off places that are unfamiliar to us can be overwhelming. The south is a very different culture in many ways. Some adjust and some don't.

I hope if you do move to Savannah, that it will be everything you hoped it to be. Best of Luck

Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 AM

Thanks everybody - I was hoping for more gay-specific advice but my request may have been too specific for a small town like Savannah. I'll keep searching on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area