U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:47 PM

6,469 posts, read 5,717,465 times

Advertisements

The land in question is in far western Chatham County and is related to the now under construction Savannah Manufacturing Center. The petitioner wants the land rezoned to heavy industrial. I wonder long until Savannah annexes all of the land in West Chatham south to the Ogeechee River?

The plots in red, orange and blue are the properties in question..
Savannah Annexation by brandon walker, on Flickr
Quote:
The City received two annexation petitions for three (3) parcels with an aggregate of 894.07 acres located on the west side of Interstate 16 in the vicinity of Old River Road and John Carter Road. The parcels are currently undeveloped and are owned by the Savannah Economic Development Authority and members of the Morgan family. The owners of the parcels are requesting that the land be zoned as heavy industrial (IH). The land under petition is contiguous to existing City territory, and therefore can be annexed by ordinance adopted by City Council. As required by state law the County has been informed of receipt of this petition.

Annexation is being sought by the owner to gain access to the municipal utilities provided by the City. The owner desires to gain access to these services on in-city terms. The cost of providing water and sewer service will be fully covered by connection fees and service fees charged to benefiting parcels in the area parcel.

No action is required at this time other than acknowledgment of petition receipt. Consideration of ordinances to annex the territory and to designate City zoning for the territory will be placed on a future agenda.
Agenda Plus - August 1, 2019 City Council Regular Meeting
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 01:24 PM

2,018 posts, read 1,753,436 times
A lot of the blue property is wetland. Are they going to just clear cut it and fill it? And "mitigate" with a couple dirt fences? Dig holes to "store water". The way they manage flooding and wetlands down here is not smart modern environmental engineering. No consideration about the flood, air quality and other benefits of trees especially forested wetlands as well as recreation value. It is cheaper to leave wetlands in place and not cut than have to always re-create and maintain drainage that was already there. The other two properties I have no problem with as they don't contain as many wetlands and were harvested already.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Another massive annexation is planned in West Chatham. This time the landfill owned by Waste Management at I-95 and Little Neck Rd. It's crazy to think that in less than one month, Savannah has annexed 1,847 acres or nearly 3 sq miles of land.

Quote:
The City received an annexation petition for twelve (12) parcels with an aggregate of 953.01 acres located on the west side of Interstate 95 in the vicinity of Little Neck Road. The area is currently owned by Waste Management of Georgia, Inc. and is being operated as Superior Landfill and Recycling Center. The land under petition is contiguous to existing City territory, and therefore can be annexed by ordinance adopted by City Council. As required by state law the County has been informed of receipt of this petition.

Annexation is being sought by the owner to gain access to the municipal utilities provided by the City. The owner desires to gain access to these services on in-city terms. The cost of providing water and sewer service will be fully covered by connection fees and service fees charged to benefiting parcels in the area parcel.

No action is required at this time other than acknowledgment of petition receipt. Consideration of ordinances to annex the territory and to designate City zoning for the territory will be placed on a future agenda.
Agenda Plus - August 15, 2019, City Council Regular Meeting

Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,485,572 times
Since 1978, the City of Savannah hasn't been able to annex inhabited areas of the county because Chatham County, in cahoots with the small municipalities, vetoes it (boldface) before it can be put to the voters. (Yet the county sure as hell will allow Pooler to bring annexation to voters of an affected area like Quacco Rd.) Savannah can expand *only* through purchase of land tracts, which are potential neighborhoods and help the city grow. This also puts a damper on Pooler's unspoken goal of annexing areas far south of Quacco, including Georgetown itself. It's sound strategy when a county gov't and local legislators outside Savannah don't let any referendum go forward if Savannah is the beneficiary of annexation or consolidation.

@SavannahLife. Better that Savannah annex wetland areas rather than Pooler. Savannah is no environmental angel, but compared to the much more conservative City Hall in Pooler? Yes, it gets a halo (or two).

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-13-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 PM

392 posts, read 268,258 times
[quote=masonbauknight;55924442]Since 1978, the City of Savannah hasn't been able to annex inhabited areas of the county because Chatham County, in cahoots with the small municipalities, vetoes it (boldface) before it can be put to the voters. (Yet the county sure as hell will allow Pooler to bring annexation to voters of an affected area like Quacco Rd.) Savannah can expand *only* through purchase of land tracts, which are potential neighborhoods and help the city grow. This also puts a damper on Pooler's unspoken goal of annexing areas far south of Quacco, including Georgetown itself. It's sound strategy when a county gov't and local legislators outside Savannah don't let any referendum go forward if Savannah is the beneficiary of annexation or consolidation.

That is really stretching it. Savannah or any city can annex any land it wants that has people living in it. The catch is the current city votes as well as the affected area. As far as Pooler wanting to annex down Quacco Road toward Georgetown, why would they there isn't any commercial property (taxes) worth much and the residential is starter homes and trailer parks. Pooler's last annexation of populated land was 2006/07 when the annexed the area south of Savannah Quarters along Quacco. Savannah on the other hand has annexed ten thousand plus acres and created a jagged mess along 204 and around Georgetown. As well as they have hoarding water rights and not allowing new connection unless they are annexed into the city.

I won't disagree about Pooler and there development but Savannah and Port Wentworth are following the same pattern in the Highlands, New Hempstead and Northern half of Port Wentworth.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
That is really stretching it. Savannah or any city can annex any land it wants that has people living in it. The catch is the current city votes as well as the affected area. As far as Pooler wanting to annex down Quacco Road toward Georgetown, why would they there isn't any commercial property (taxes) worth much and the residential is starter homes and trailer parks. Pooler's last annexation of populated land was 2006/07 when the annexed the area south of Savannah Quarters along Quacco. Savannah on the other hand has annexed ten thousand plus acres and created a jagged mess along 204 and around Georgetown. As well as they have hoarding water rights and not allowing new connection unless they are annexed into the city.

I won't disagree about Pooler and there development but Savannah and Port Wentworth are following the same pattern in the Highlands, New Hempstead and Northern half of Port Wentworth.
That's really not the point. Annexation of unincorporated, inhabited areas must go to the affected voters (those in the annexing municipality and those residents to be annexed) by referendum. That can't proceed without a green light from the county government and legislative representatives. The governor signs the paperwork for a referendum only after that. Pooler got the green light to take its bill to the voters. Ditto Port Wentworth. Savannah is stopped each time for annexation or consolidation -- it's dead in the water. Why? There's a chance that a referendum just might carry, despite the fear and loathing of "big government", "the chocolate city," etc. Without the agreement and cooperation of the county big wigs (no roadblock from the County Commission, support from legislators), there's no popular vote. There was no roadblock for the last Pooler referenda, nor for the ref to approve or refuse incorporation of Skidaway Island. Their voters voted. Savannah has been refused that right since 1978.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-14-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 12:14 PM

The city and the county, along with Pooler and Bloomingdale as well, need to come to an agreement regarding the future of West Chatham County. Looking at the maps, it's clear to anyone that the future of the area is that it will all be annexed one day by Savannah, Pooler or Bloomingdale. As this area grows with construction heating up at New Hamsptead and the Savannah Manufacturing Centre getting underway, it makes no sense for this area to be physically separated from the rest of the city. IMO, Savannah should annex Georgetown and areas south of Little Neck Road west of I-95. Pooler can have areas north of Little Neck and Bloomingdale can have whatever is left over on the westside.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
The city and the county, along with Pooler and Bloomingdale as well, need to come to an agreement regarding the future of West Chatham County. Looking at the maps, it's clear to anyone that the future of the area is that it will all be annexed one day by Savannah, Pooler or Bloomingdale. As this area grows with construction heating up at New Hamsptead and the Savannah Manufacturing Centre getting underway, it makes no sense for this area to be physically separated from the rest of the city. IMO, Savannah should annex Georgetown and areas south of Little Neck Road west of I-95. Pooler can have areas north of Little Neck and Bloomingdale can have whatever is left over on the westside.
I entirely agree -- except Chatham County doesn't do "sensible" with no support from Chatham County (which would lose unincorporated territory). It also requires several sponsors among the state legislative delegation (doubtful). And correct me if I'm wrong, AF: Savannah's mayor, a conservative Republican, isn't exactly a mover and shaker for stuff like annexation/consolidation (not politically, and it would also be a hard fight). Mayor John Rousakis was all that in the 1970s -- while consolidation did fail in the 1973 referendum, there was still a ref. The 1978 annexation of the southside miraculously won its referendum, preventing Savannah from slipping below the magic 100,000 inhabitants in the next Census. It would have, too.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-15-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I entirely agree -- except Chatham County doesn't do "sensible" with no support from Chatham County (which would lose unincorporated territory). It also requires several sponsors among the state legislative delegation (doubtful). And correct me if I'm wrong, AF: Savannah's mayor, a conservative Republican, isn't exactly a mover and shaker for stuff like annexation/consolidation (not politically, and it would also be a hard fight). Mayor John Rousakis was all that in the 1970s -- while consolidation did fail in the 1973 referendum, there was still a ref. The 1978 annexation of the southside miraculously won its referendum, preventing Savannah from slipping below the magic 100,000 inhabitants in the next Census. It would have, too.
I see your points, but I think times have changed somewhat in the last 40 years. The vote for incorporation of Skidaway failed and I think the vote for the rest of the islands to incorporate will fail as well, if put to the voters. Also while I don't see a Savannah-Chatham merger in the future, I do see the gradual annexation of land in West Chatham by Savannah. You have to remember that as long as the property borders the city, a landowner can petition the city council to have the land annexed. No votes necessary, all the city has to do is contact the county. Also the city has a big carrot to dangle over landowners who want to be annexed by the city, access to the city's water system. This is why the Morgan family wants their land annexed to the city and the same with Waste Management. As for the current mayor being for or against consolidation, I'm not sure what his opinion on the matter is.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I see your points, but I think times have changed somewhat in the last 40 years. The vote for incorporation of Skidaway failed and I think the vote for the rest of the islands to incorporate will fail as well, if put to the voters. Also while I don't see a Savannah-Chatham merger in the future, I do see the gradual annexation of land in West Chatham by Savannah. You have to remember that as long as the property borders the city, a landowner can petition the city council to have the land annexed. No votes necessary, all the city has to do is contact the county. Also the city has a big carrot to dangle over landowners who want to be annexed by the city, access to the city's water system. This is why the Morgan family wants their land annexed to the city and the same with Waste Management. As for the current mayor being for or against consolidation, I'm not sure what his opinion on the matter is.
Thanks -- and I hope you're proven right on all counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or