U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM

6,470 posts, read 5,724,459 times

Advertisements

The meeting will be tonight at pooler city hall. They will discuss the I-95/Airways Ave/Pooler Pkwy Interchange study and the alternatives being discussed for improving it.

https://www.wtoc.com/2019/08/14/open...estion-pooler/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

639 posts, read 696,375 times
Man. If only Pooler officials had the brains to think about planning ahead for growth and traffic congestion when they were just letting everything get torn down to build modern american corporate suburbia there. I mean it's not like Pooler is situated next to a growing airport or anything, or next to a huge manufacturing plant with thousands of employees or anything like that.

Now they want to have an open house for a problem they should have anticipated years and years ago during the actual boom period.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,333,637 times
It needs to be a giant flyover going every which a way

Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 PM

Of the four proposals presented, the only I like most was the plan for the flyover ramp from I-95 to Pooler Pkwy. It may be the costliest, but it will have a long-term benefit and will actually improve traffic flow. As for it making access for pedestrian difficult, I rarely see people walking in the area and if they are, its usually from the hotels to the outlet mall.

Quote:
While not yet complete, Mark Wilkes, Coastal Region Metropolitan Planning Organization project manager, said the study has narrowed down the potential options to four.
A flyover interchange for cars exiting Interstate 95 onto Pooler Parkway, the most costly option at a projected cost of $44 million, would provide a long term solution to growing traffic demands in the area, would not require widening the bridge, and eliminate left turns in the area, freeing up movement into and out of the airport.
However, this option’s costly and complicated construction could lead to traffic delays and would make it more difficult for pedestrian movement in the area, according to the presentation.
Another option presented on Wednesday was a single-point urban interchange that would have similar disadvantages to the flyover interchange.
At a projected cost of $35.7 million, the interchange would bring fewer traffic conflict points than a diamond interchange and would provide more distance between the I-95 southbound ramp and Mill Creek Circle to the west, an issue highlighted in the study.
At $9.6 million, the least expensive option, Pooler Parkway would be turned into a diverging diamond interchange, similar to Ga. 21′s interchange with I-95.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...cement-options

Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 PM

4,525 posts, read 7,737,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Of the four proposals presented, the only I like most was the plan for the flyover ramp from I-95 to Pooler Pkwy. It may be the costliest, but it will have a long-term benefit and will actually improve traffic flow. As for it making access for pedestrian difficult, I rarely see people walking in the area and if they are, its usually from the hotels to the outlet mall.

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...cement-options
I have personally walked from one side to the other and it was risky. I’ve seen others do it whilst walking as well as in my car. The number may not be high, but it’s there. There are hotels on the eastern side and therefore there will be pedestrians.
I am all for a flyover, but let’s be considerate of the few pedestrians in the area as well. The car shouldn’t be the only option to get around. Anywhere.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I have personally walked from one side to the other and it was risky. I’ve seen others do it whilst walking as well as in my car. The number may not be high, but it’s there. There are hotels on the eastern side and therefore there will be pedestrians.
I am all for a flyover, but let’s be considerate of the few pedestrians in the area as well. The car shouldn’t be the only option to get around. Anywhere.
I agree, perhaps a pedestrian bridge can be built over Pooler Pkwy to help people get from the hotels to the outlet mall. Also the existing bridge could be widened to accommodate not only traffic, but pedestrians as well.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM

392 posts, read 269,304 times
None of the proposals address the issue of the traffic light at Mill Creek. If they went to a right in/right out there it would allow additional traffic to stack and with a light that functions properly at Benton, the overpass would be an excellent solution. That and find a way to connect Tanger out to Highway 80 since there will never be an exit of its own.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,756,438 times
Very good point Wandering. Pooler is not pedestrian friendly and doesn't even have a bus system. They don't create green space or plan. They created a park you literally can't get to, the train car on Pooler. A part of me is thinking cynically why not go with the cheapest option. But I know that's probably not the right answer that would be unfortunate for Pooler. I wish they would start thinking about planning while there is still space left, create trails, walkable options, parks, sensible traffic patterns, etc. I only go to Pooler to the airport but the traffic to get to the airport always seems just fine, never had problems even around Christmas or Thanksgiving even rush hour. It actually seems fine, I am not sure what congestion they are talking about. That interchange... seems fine at rush hour? Then again many here have way more experience there so it will be interesting to hear others' perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or