U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
1,492 posts, read 3,321,293 times
Reputation: 900

Advertisements

It’s been a huge eye opener around here when applying for work. Either they waste everyone’s time going through the hiring process and don’t show for their first day or they come for a few days and disappear. I don’t get it. Where my spouse works, there are a LOT related to each other. They don’t show up, don’t call for the day. They goof off and can’t be found. What is up with this? It’s happened each place I’ve worked here too. Don’t people want to work? Even where my youngest works, again wasted three weeks getting someone approved to do the job and they called with a bunch of excuses with a no-show. Yet, we get cricket’s when we’ve applied to multiple jobs here and fully qualified for. I gave up over 100 sick days when I moved to the area. Yet, time and again during an interview, they’ll harp on my calling out. Obviously I don’t do that. Someone want to explain it why it’s so bad? So much Nepotism, yet those folks can’t show up on time or work? It is very frustrating. Heck, my spouse is only making $9hr yet he hasn’t called out, missed a day or asked for a day off in a year. Me either for that matter. I just don’t get it, don’t people like to eat or pay their bills?

My wonderings for a Monday........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 AM
 
482 posts, read 213,826 times
Reputation: 1273
You should have lined up suitable work here first before you chose to relocate. Private employers will hire who they want regardless of anything else.

Everyplace has its own quirks when it comes to local employment. You have to be savvy and aware. This situation is all on you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM
 
3,871 posts, read 5,561,314 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
It’s been a huge eye opener around here when applying for work. Either they waste everyone’s time going through the hiring process and don’t show for their first day or they come for a few days and disappear. I don’t get it. Where my spouse works, there are a LOT related to each other. They don’t show up, don’t call for the day. They goof off and can’t be found. What is up with this? It’s happened each place I’ve worked here too. Don’t people want to work? Even where my youngest works, again wasted three weeks getting someone approved to do the job and they called with a bunch of excuses with a no-show. Yet, we get cricket’s when we’ve applied to multiple jobs here and fully qualified for. I gave up over 100 sick days when I moved to the area. Yet, time and again during an interview, they’ll harp on my calling out. Obviously I don’t do that. Someone want to explain it why it’s so bad? So much Nepotism, yet those folks can’t show up on time or work? It is very frustrating. Heck, my spouse is only making $9hr yet he hasn’t called out, missed a day or asked for a day off in a year. Me either for that matter. I just don’t get it, don’t people like to eat or pay their bills?

My wonderings for a Monday........
I had a gig lined up when I moved down here & it took me several years to find a better one. Honestly start looking for federal, local government, or state jobs, those are about the best jobs available in the area due to the lack of corporate HQ's. The ports are great if you can get in, but just getting takes a lot of luck.

The work ethic in Savannah leaves a lot to be desired especially on the lower pay part. Eating at a fast food place except chick fil a, meant sending 1 out of every 3 burgers back as they didn't make them right. Burger king was the worst.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,283 posts, read 49,800,510 times
Reputation: 68969
DH said that only 15% of those who apply at Home Depot can pass the drug test. He has noticed the lack of work ethic is very prevalent here, also it seems you need to know someone. It is especially galling when the new hires are making more than he is, and they are frequently worthless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
1,492 posts, read 3,321,293 times
Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
You should have lined up suitable work here first before you chose to relocate. Private employers will hire who they want regardless of anything else.

Everyplace has its own quirks when it comes to local employment. You have to be savvy and aware. This situation is all on you.
I do have a good job, thanks. But it’s an observation based on the places I’ve worked. One is an absolute mess-the local school system. I have the type background that makes my getting a job pretty easy. 33 years with a Class B CDL along with being a dispatcher, driver trainer, routing and the license is squeaky clean. But thanks for thinking that it’s MY issue.

What I’ve seen first hand is employees that don’t call out, don’t show, arrive late habitually for their scheduled shift. Why is that? How is that acceptable? Or ride the clock? I was able to GPS drivers in real time to see them sitting at a Parker’s having a long break-45 mins, then late to their next destination. Stuff like that. That was my question. Why is that tolerated? I’ve been here almost 3 years now. It still boggles my mind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
1,492 posts, read 3,321,293 times
Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DH said that only 15% of those who apply at Home Depot can pass the drug test. He has noticed the lack of work ethic is very prevalent here, also it seems you need to know someone. It is especially galling when the new hires are making more than he is, and they are frequently worthless.
Yeah, my DH has applied there SO many times. He’s been in the construction industry since he left the service in 85. He knows how to deal with customers as a ready mix concrete dispatcher for 21 years he serviced residential customers and contractors. He’s done all sorts of stuff along the way also. He can pass any drug test and clean license too. Where he is, he is the most senior person. He started last December. The new boss and supervisor have only been there two months. And he’s been there longer than any other new hire. Yet, he isn’t given the busiest station. The one that’s had to have the police called for getting out of hand with a customer and is always wandering anywhere but where assigned get’s the choice station with the most tips. All because of being related.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
1,492 posts, read 3,321,293 times
Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I had a gig lined up when I moved down here & it took me several years to find a better one. Honestly start looking for federal, local government, or state jobs, those are about the best jobs available in the area due to the lack of corporate HQ's. The ports are great if you can get in, but just getting takes a lot of luck.

The work ethic in Savannah leaves a lot to be desired especially on the lower pay part. Eating at a fast food place except chick fil a, meant sending 1 out of every 3 burgers back as they didn't make them right. Burger king was the worst.
I do like where I work, it’s the work ethic that makes me scratch my head. Don’t folks like to eat or keep a roof over their head? I saw it even with folks that were being paid 35K+. No show. No callout. Or out for days at a time with the sick excuse but their social media says other wise. That is I guess my point about the post. I am fine where I’ve landed and couldn’t be happier now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,283 posts, read 49,800,510 times
Reputation: 68969
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I do like where I work, it’s the work ethic that makes me scratch my head. Don’t folks like to eat or keep a roof over their head? I saw it even with folks that were being paid 35K+. No show. No callout. Or out for days at a time with the sick excuse but their social media says other wise. That is I guess my point about the post. I am fine where I’ve landed and couldn’t be happier now.
DH works with a guy who, as soon as he accumulates a sick day, takes it. This guy had a lucrative occupation, and his own business, but failed to pay any taxes, and was shocked to get busted. Now, he just blames everyone else for the fact that he’s retirement age and has no money. This is not a southerner, but a transplant from NY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts & Hilton Head, SC
8,250 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 6621
It used to be if you were a normal person and showed up for work you would get periodic raises or promotions. Not necessarily true anymore.

More and more of these companies are being sued as well, so they are reluctant to dismiss employees when they don't perform.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
1,492 posts, read 3,321,293 times
Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DH works with a guy who, as soon as he accumulates a sick day, takes it. This guy had a lucrative occupation, and his own business, but failed to pay any taxes, and was shocked to get busted. Now, he just blames everyone else for the fact that he’s retirement age and has no money. This is not a southerner, but a transplant from NY.
That’s just a fool. He obviously figured he could pull one over. I am glad he got caught. He’s what gives good hardworking NY’ers who move to a better place a bad name. I just don’t get people like that either. You reap what you sow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top