U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 PM

6,469 posts, read 5,708,606 times

Advertisements

I didn't see this happening, it looks like not only will the mayoral race be a runoff, but Tony Thomas faces a runoff as well. In addition John Hall, Carroll Bell and Bill Durrance lost their races as well. Looks like folks in Savannah want change....
Quote:
The mayoral election in Savannah will likely head to a runoff.

Mayor Eddie DeLoach and Alderman Van Johnson are expected to go head to head on Dec. 3.

Johnson has been ahead in Tuesday’s race but unless there is a significant shift with the remaining precincts, he will not reach the 50%-plus-one-vote threshold to secure the win.

“I’m excited. Looking forward to an opportunity to make it happen again,” DeLoach said Tuesday.

“We’re going to run this race until it’s done,” Johnson told News 3.

If the alderman wins in December, he’s said he’ll work on building a “high functioning council.” DeLoach has said he will work with whatever changes come to the council with this election.

See how those seats are taking shape below.
https://www.wsav.com/news/your-local...ded-to-runoff/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,282,702 times
I’m surprised as well

Old 11-06-2019, 04:45 AM

40,239 posts, read 49,757,290 times
I’m shocked at both Savannah and Pooler. Never thought I’d see the words “change” and “Savannah” in the same sentence, and I assumed the Poolerites were going to stick with all the old guard, but they didn’t.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM

40,239 posts, read 49,757,290 times
....and someone needs to tell the news stations that Pooler does not have run off elections.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 AM

639 posts, read 694,436 times
Van Johnson defeats Deloach.

Purtee defeats Tony Thomas.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM

50 posts, read 33,717 times
What does Van Johnson mean for Savannah?

Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 PM

884 posts, read 860,284 times
Seeing as how Van has been on the council for multiple terms already, I think it's pretty safe to say the change will not be radical. That's especially true given the city's power structure, where the City Manager basically runs the show, and the Mayor (and Aldermen) just runs the meetings. The position is largely ceremonial - kind of like how the Queen works with Parliament. The mayor goes to events, reads proclamations, issues greeting letters to visiting conferences, and so forth.

But hey, a charismatic and narcissistic individual with designs on corrupting the power structure for personal gain is apparently never out of the question. Personally, I don't see that as a likely bent for Van Johnson, or for the City of Savannah, however.

I do think Johnson's track record shows he's progressive, having championed things like the city's relatively lenient, albeit limited, marijuana possession ordinance back in 2017. He also showed some decency in his quick mea culpa on the "black press only" debacle from March of this year (read about that here in case you've not been following along). Not his best moment, but hopefully one that he learned strong lessons from.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:06 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,483,103 times
Such an interesting post, CG! Thanks for the link, too. I can't believe the runoff vote margin either. I thought it would be much closer than that. What do you think of the numbers? Now if I can only get a second report from News (he is coy, that one), my day is complete.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM

884 posts, read 860,284 times
I'm honestly not that surprised. As a long-time resident of the Savannah area, I've seen the political landscape drift around, but this is a town that doesn't like to get too hot and bothered about politics. Folks around here would much rather share a drink with an adversary than remember that they were an adversary at all.

Deloach was not a bad mayor, but he never excelled in the trappings of the office. He showed up, said the requisite stuff, said he wanted to do it for another term and all that, but he never really made the case for what he wanted to do in the next term - failing to capture the imagination of the voting public. He talked about how we have more cops than a police state, and how effective the city is at responding to criminal activity (not so much working to prevent it in the first place by working on our public school system or whatever, IMO). But, that's hardly a vision for the future - at least not a hopeful one.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:41 PM

639 posts, read 694,436 times
Agreed on Deloach. He was just there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area