U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times

Advertisements

I don’t understand why moving the Waving Girl statue is causing such an uproar. It seems only logical to move it to a place where it can be seen from the river.

I understand some of the self serving objections, like those of the business owners who thing she brings foot traffic to that end of River St., and those who are afraid Richard Kessler has too much influence in town, so they just don’t want him to get all the good stuff, but those really aren’t good reasons.

If the tree huggers had cut down the crape myrtles that are hiding the statue, there wouldn’t be an issue. Gee, crape myrtles are so RARE around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 01:20 PM

884 posts, read 860,745 times
It's a symptom of an ever more Disney-fied downtown. I think people who have lived here awhile tend to see changes like this - where an outside developer wields their money to move a monument - as artificial and not in keeping with true Savannah history. To residents, Savannah is supposed to be a real city, not a theme park. Just getting around town and parking are tough now. Prices for food and lodging are so high that extended families can struggle just to visit. Heck, you can't even speed on Whitaker Street anymore!

Old 12-10-2019, 03:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,484,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
I think people who have lived here awhile tend to see changes like this - where an outside developer wields their money to move a monument - as artificial and not in keeping with true Savannah history.
Which is exactly how I saw it. What will powerful, monied lobbyists attempt next? Tomochichi moves to The Mansion on Forsyth Park?

Old 12-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Which is exactly how I saw it. What will powerful, monied lobbyists attempt next? Tomochichi moves to The Mansion on Forsyth Park?
Yes, but....isn’t the whole point of the waving girl to be seen from the river? Really, Kessler could just make a duplicate and put it anywhere.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:50 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
It's a symptom of an ever more Disney-fied downtown. I think people who have lived here awhile tend to see changes like this - where an outside developer wields their money to move a monument - as artificial and not in keeping with true Savannah history. To residents, Savannah is supposed to be a real city, not a theme park. Just getting around town and parking are tough now. Prices for food and lodging are so high that extended families can struggle just to visit. Heck, you can't even speed on Whitaker Street anymore!
Richard Kessler is not an "outside developer." He was born in Savannah and grew up in Effingham County, where his family are direct descendants of the Salzburgers who founded New Ebeneezer.

Kessler restored the Kehoe House in the 1990s, turned an old funeral home into the Mansion on Forsyth in the 2000s and turned an ugly vacant lot on River Street into the Bohemian in the 2010s. Last year he restored the Armstrong House for his private residence.

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...on-residential

GOOD BACKGROUND FROM WIKIPEDIA

At the age of 23, Kessler became the right hand to real estate developer Cecil B. Day and help found Days Inn of America in August 1970.[2][vague] From 1972 to 1975, Kessler founded and led five real estate development and operational companies. In May 1975, at age 29, Kessler became President and CEO of Days Inns, and one year later, Chairman.[2] The chain was sold in 1984 and Kessler began his own independent ventures

Kessler is the Founder and Chairman of the New Ebenezer Retreat and Conference Center in New Ebenezer, Ga. Founded in 1736, the township of New Ebenezer was settled by a group of Lutheran Salzburgers seeking a new beginning and a place of religious freedom. Much of the town was destroyed by the British during the Revolutionary War and later by Union soldiers in the Civil War. In 1972 Kessler spearheaded efforts to rebuild the essence of the town.[6] New Ebenezer, has been reconstructed to resemble the original 1700’s township. The new Ebenezer Retreat and Conference Center has space for group meetings of up to 400 people opening summer of 1976.

Kessler spearheaded the founding of the Treutlen House at New Ebenezer in New Ebenezer, Georgia, 20 miles north of Savannah, Georgia. Opened in 2000, adjacent to the site of the first organized orphanage in America, Treutlen House provides care, housing, support, and guidance to abused children. Initially, the program’s live-in facility housed 10 children.[8]

Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t understand why moving the Waving Girl statue is causing such an uproar. It seems only logical to move it to a place where it can be seen from the river.

I understand some of the self serving objections, like those of the business owners who thing she brings foot traffic to that end of River St., and those who are afraid Richard Kessler has too much influence in town, so they just don’t want him to get all the good stuff, but those really aren’t good reasons.

If the tree huggers had cut down the crape myrtles that are hiding the statue, there wouldn’t be an issue. Gee, crape myrtles are so RARE around here.
Especially since she actually WAVED from her home on ELBA ISLAND 5 miles down river from where the statue is today.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Richard Kessler is not an "outside developer." He was born in Savannah and grew up in Effingham County, where his family are direct descendants of the Salzburgers who founded New Ebeneezer....
OK, point taken. I suppose locals can wield $$$ just as well. By all means, then... We should gleefully allow the statue to be moved!

What I really meant to illustrate wasn't as much point of fact, but rather the perception many locals have about how money trumps taste and/or good sense around matters of historical record/importance. I happen to largely sympathize with that take on the state of our treasured Landmark Urban Historic District, where plenty of outside development money has swayed the likes of council and commission.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM

So, here’s the thing. People hate change. It makes no difference if you really give a flying flip about the waving girl or not. If you aren’t involved in the decision, you balk at the decision, so go be an Alderman.

Here in Pooler, they swept out many incumbents also. My ear to the ground hears that contention is in the works. We do not want that here.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Or a big butter sculpture of Paula Deen?

Old 12-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, here’s the thing. People hate change. It makes no difference if you really give a flying flip about the waving girl or not. If you aren’t involved in the decision, you balk at the decision, so go be an Alderman.

Here in Pooler, they swept out many incumbents also. My ear to the ground hears that contention is in the works. We do not want that here.
Pooler doesn't have any history to be contentious about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or