U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:25 PM

2,699 posts, read 1,167,090 times

Advertisements

I guess Paula Deen has a couple of restaurants in Savannah. My daughter will be in town for Christmas week. She is a big fan, and I would like to take her for lunch. Any tips on which of her restaurants too go to? Wichwould be closer too the down town area. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 03:41 PM

257 posts, read 405,131 times
The Lady and Sons is the one in the historic district.

I guess if she’s enamored with Paula Deen then go. But Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room is better.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:33 AM

40,270 posts, read 49,782,858 times
Paula Deens is Southern home cooking. There’s a buffet, or you can order off the menu. If you want to check it off your bucket list, fine, but don’t expect anything special, unless you’ve never had fried chicken or macaroni and cheese before.

I much prefer PD’s Creek House, which is on the way to Tybee. You’d need to drive there. Get the Scallops Pomodoro.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,483,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I much prefer PD’s Creek House, which is on the way to Tybee. You’d need to drive there. Get the Scallops Pomodoro.
Can you tell us why you found Creek House a cut above? The dishes offered? More expensive than the Lady? I've had lunch at the Lady (it's good, simple southern but very overpriced), so was just wondering. Btw: I still can't get that image of yours out of my head: Paula Deen as a butter sculpture in Forsyth Park.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:31 AM

40,270 posts, read 49,782,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Can you tell us why you found Creek House a cut above? The dishes offered? More expensive than the Lady? I've had lunch at the Lady (it's good, simple southern but very overpriced), so was just wondering. Btw: I still can't get that image of yours out of my head: Paula Deen as a butter sculpture in Forsyth Park.
Just go to the website. The two menus are totally different. I must admit that I haven’t gone to Creek House for a year or two, but it was very good when I went.

https://pauladeenscreekhouse.com/wp-...018-v2-web.pdf

Old 12-17-2019, 11:53 AM

2,699 posts, read 1,167,090 times
Thanks everyone! I do realize it is a tourist trap. I will go once, to make my daughtr happy.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 PM

120 posts, read 247,531 times
I was pleasantly surprised. We were there one weekend and every place was very busy -- we popped in there solely because we were hungry and there was no wait.

We were expecting so-so mediocre tourist trap food ... and were really surprised and how good it was.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:21 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,287,846 times
I was raised on good old Southern cooking. Both my grandmother and my mother were renowned in our hometown for being amazing. cooks. And yet I’ve never been disappointed in a meal from Paula Deen’s. Her fried chicken truly is some of the best I’ve ever had (better than my mommas). And everything else is solidly good Southern cuisine served up buffet style. It beats anything at Golden Corral by a mile.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,483,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It beats anything at Golden Corral by a mile.
But the Corral is mediocre southern chow. Their main draw is limitless food at fairly moderate prices. My Savannah relatives won't set foot in the Corral (they're fine with Paula, paying more).

Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM

8,248 posts, read 12,448,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
But the Corral is mediocre southern chow. Their main draw is limitless food at fairly moderate prices. My Savannah relatives won't set foot in the Corral (they're fine with Paula, paying more).
Is a Golden Corral even safe to go to? I've heard stories about that place...

Anyway, we've eaten at The Lady & Sons. My husband had the buffet and I had the chicken pot pie, both very good. There was a shop next to the restaurant that sold her products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area