Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 AM

747 posts, read 847,767 times

Advertisements

Mid 40's couple coming mid September (hopefully) and looking for some must do/sees. I am the constant planner and my wife flies by the seat of her pants.

Probably staying at the Mansion on Forsyth b/c I have Marriott credits and it looks amazing! Saw they have cooking classes but I'm thinking they may be cancelled or not as interesting with a very limited crowd.

Driving up so can get around quite easily. Enjoy fine dining, live music and photography. Have't taken a vacation in almost 5 years since moving to Florida so just want to get out and do some sight seeing and shut the work brain down. Unfortunately, not the greatest time in the world but..... Some people said Tybee Island but a quick Google search didnt show much.

Maybe you all can school me.

Last edited by Tommygphotos; 08-03-2020 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 08:37 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
From your hotel, you can walk everywhere in the historic district, which is Forsyth Park to River St., and MLK to E. Broad St.. Many upscale restaurants are still closed, but I’m sure you will not starve. Your hotel has a lovely restaurant, and I believe The Pink House, an historic restaurant, is open, so you should make a reservation soon.

The buzz right now is the new Plant Riverside on River St., so you will want to see that.
If you like history, just walking around the many squares and Colonial Cemetery could take days. Along the way are shops and beautiful architecture.

There are Trolley Tours of the city, and museums, if that floats your boat.

Ghost Coast Distillery has a nice tour, and there are several craft breweries. I hear the Prohibition Museum is good, so you could make it a booze theme day.

Tybee is an old fashioned beach town, and they like it that way. Not at all glitzy. There are shops and places to grab a cocktail and food. All are flip flop friendly. The beach is fine.

Normally, Savannah has lots of live music opportunities, but they are more limited now.
If you can get the Savannah Morning News online, on Thursdays is the DO section, which tells what is going that weekend.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Thank you! This all sounds up our alley. Hoping in a month and a half some things have opened up a little more.

In your personal opinion is there enough open/going on to still make a 5 hour drive?

Old 08-03-2020, 01:42 PM

In my opinion, yes. Many of the restaurant have more limited seating, but the few I checked are operating. Masks are required in public areas.

When you go to Tybee, plan to have dinner at The Crab Shack. It’s a tourist trap but you really should go and get the low country boil. Assuming you like seafood, which is surprising hard to come by here for some reason. When you’re tired and sunburned and don’t feel like getting it together to go someplace fancy, CS is perfect.

The Pink House and 17hundred11 are two good restaurants that are open. The Grey seems to have opened up, but you need to make a reservation now. Lunch places in the historic district, on Bay St and Broughton are abundant. A few are Kayak Cafe and Treylor Park.

When you get to your hotel, I bet the consierge will have current suggestions.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In my opinion, yes. Many of the restaurant have more limited seating, but the few I checked are operating. Masks are required in public areas.

When you go to Tybee, plan to have dinner at The Crab Shack. It’s a tourist trap but you really should go and get the low country boil. Assuming you like seafood, which is surprising hard to come by here for some reason. When you’re tired and sunburned and don’t feel like getting it together to go someplace fancy, CS is perfect.

The Pink House and 17hundred11 are two good restaurants that are open. The Grey seems to have opened up, but you need to make a reservation now. Lunch places in the historic district, on Bay St and Broughton are abundant. A few are Kayak Cafe and Treylor Park.

When you get to your hotel, I bet the consierge will have current suggestions.
Thank you, Ill look these up.
We are fortunate to live 9 miles from the Gulf so we get great seafood around here as well. Appreciate all the info.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
From your hotel, you can walk everywhere in the historic district, which is Forsyth Park to River St., and MLK to E. Broad St.. Many upscale restaurants are still closed, but I’m sure you will not starve. Your hotel has a lovely restaurant, and I believe The Pink House, an historic restaurant, is open, so you should make a reservation soon.

The buzz right now is the new Plant Riverside on River St., so you will want to see that.
If you like history, just walking around the many squares and Colonial Cemetery could take days. Along the way are shops and beautiful architecture.

There are Trolley Tours of the city, and museums, if that floats your boat.

Ghost Coast Distillery has a nice tour, and there are several craft breweries. I hear the Prohibition Museum is good, so you could make it a booze theme day.

Tybee is an old fashioned beach town, and they like it that way. Not at all glitzy. There are shops and places to grab a cocktail and food. All are flip flop friendly. The beach is fine.

Normally, Savannah has lots of live music opportunities, but they are more limited now.
If you can get the Savannah Morning News online, on Thursdays is the DO section, which tells what is going that weekend.
My daughter was at Plant Riverside this weekend & said it's amazing, something you would see in NY or LA as a 5 star boutique hotel.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
My daughter was at Plant Riverside this weekend & said it's amazing, something you would see in NY or LA as a 5 star boutique hotel.
I’m looking forward to going.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Thanks for answering OP's questions, as I had the same! We are coming from almost the same part of Florida, also in September. I guess I"ll have to fill Tommy in about what we all saw, did, and where we ate! We're going the first week of September, for our anniversary September 6. I've been researching, and saw The Pink House, I'm looking for somewhere fancy for our anniversary dinner. We are staying at the Marshall House. Decided to spend the money, as our 40th anniversary only comes around once!

Old 08-05-2020, 03:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
We stayed at old harbour inn.
What a great 4 days! Loved our hotel and location.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:27 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,313,910 times
If you have any interest in WWII history, there is this:
https://www.mightyeighth.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area