Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,191,725 times

Advertisements

I hope this new team is successful..

Quote:
The team will begin play in 2022-2023 season in the ECHL, a AA league currently with 26 teams spread across 26 states and two Canadian provinces.

The team will be the first tenant of the new Savannah Arena.

Savannah Mayor Van Johnson will host a news conference Wednesday officially announcing the team. Mayor Johnson will be joined by representatives of the Savannah Pro Hockey Team, ECHL, the Savannah Sports Council, and Oak View Group Facilities, the group managing the new arena.
wtoc.com/2021/01/26/city-savannah-announce-new-hockey-franchise-wednesday/
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 05:33 PM

71 posts, read 78,616 times
I am actually excited for this. I love hockey and hopefully we’ll be able to go an enjoy a game when we can go back to living again. Now we have minor league baseball, have semi pro soccer, how about some football here?

Old 01-31-2021, 06:48 AM

237 posts, read 285,768 times
Savannah has a poor history of supporting minor league sports. I don't see it lasting more than 3 years.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:44 PM

4,119 posts, read 6,627,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
I am actually excited for this. I love hockey and hopefully we’ll be able to go an enjoy a game when we can go back to living again. Now we have minor league baseball, have semi pro soccer, how about some football here?
Quite a few people in my Savannah neighborhood form the NE are talking about forming a supporters group & buying season tickets.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,269,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Savannah has a poor history of supporting minor league sports. I don't see it lasting more than 3 years.
Sub-top league sports are all about marketing and favorable lease terms. Marketing gets butts in seats which then sells ad space. The Savannah Bananas show it can be done.

Some will be northern transplants who like the sport, some will be general sports enthusiasts who will go because they just like live sports, etc. Teams that make it work find a sweet spot that is family friendly but also fun for groups of adults who want to unwind and grab a drink. Church outings, school groups, and drink specials... No, not all in the same group but yes--at the same game. You have to appeal to many groups that don't usually meet.

The sport will sell but not enough. You have to sell the whole experience to break even. ECHL is pricey to run though. I do wish them luck.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:37 PM

141 posts, read 322,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
It's all about management.

The Bananas, while technically not minor league, are a case study in how to effective run a franchise. Jessie Cole is a great example and shows the Savannahians will turn out if it's well done.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:19 PM

450 posts, read 465,107 times
The biggest hurdle I noticed in all the stories that hasn’t been mentioned was the need for a practice facility. It is going to be very hard to get it funded by the public.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 322,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
The biggest hurdle I noticed in all the stories that hasn’t been mentioned was the need for a practice facility. It is going to be very hard to get it funded by the public.
I was wondering about that.

If the main facility is being used for a conference or something, where is the nearest ice rink for practice?

Old 04-02-2021, 07:54 PM

450 posts, read 465,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post

If the main facility is being used for a conference or something, where is the nearest ice rink for practice?
There isn’t one within a hundred miles. Maybe Jacksonville or Charleston.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,269,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post

In Macon there isn't a practice rink, when our Coliseum is being used for other events (Christmas made in the south, disney on ice, GHSA wrestling and bb tournaments, etc), the team typically has a road series that weekend in another city. The league master schedulers somehow take all the venue schedules and work around the events. It works somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area