Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 29,281 times

Advertisements

Hi! I would love some suggestions on a new community for my family.
We are potentially relocating to the Savannah area (Gulfstream). We have three kids (12,9, 3), we are pretty liberal. We don’t go out much.
Here is what we are looking for:
- suburban community with amenities (pool, playground etc)
- clean, safe, with sidewalks.
- good public schools
- close to amenities (groceries, fast food, Starbucks, pizza delivery, preschool etc)
- within 30 min of Gulfstream.

What communities should I look into?
Thank you!

PS: I did look at the relocation post but since it is an older post, I figured updated recommendations would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
Just bluntly, Savannah city suffers from some poor public schools. Even the private schools tend to leave something to be desired, and don't really offer up the most competitive academics vis-a-vis more metropolitan places. You can find outliers both in the public system and outside of it, but it will take a keen sense of direction on your part if you are trying to educate your child in Chatham County.

And honestly, Chatham County sounds like where you probably want to be, as you expressed your political preference is left of center. You can find a Starbucks in a few satellite communities, but not many (Richmond Hill and Rincon spring to mind, but both places are firmly conservative communities). Bluffton, SC just a short drive across the river might be a consideration, although the communities there tend to be a little too ticky-tacky for my taste... And, it is South Carolina, after all.

Pooler is the most obvious choice. It's where Gulfstream is. It's also full of new communities that have nice sidewalks and are clean and safe. You'd be among all sorts of amenities. Still, that public schools thing.... You're not going to like it.

Perhaps Richmond Hill is a compromise you could tolerate. It's probably a little less country-fried than Rincon. And, I do believe the schools are better. It's also closer to civilization (Savannah proper).

You need to come down and visit and see for yourself. There's just no way to truly grasp all the subtle differences otherwise.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:11 PM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
The most troubling part is your penchant for liberalism. That isn't taken too kindly here by most, and the natives will tell you very quickly to go back from where you came if start complaining how conservative SEGA can be.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:09 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celinetmika View Post
Hi! I would love some suggestions on a new community for my family.
We are potentially relocating to the Savannah area (Gulfstream). We have three kids (12,9, 3), we are pretty liberal. We don’t go out much.
Here is what we are looking for:
- suburban community with amenities (pool, playground etc)
- clean, safe, with sidewalks.
- good public schools
- close to amenities (groceries, fast food, Starbucks, pizza delivery, preschool etc)
- within 30 min of Gulfstream.

What communities should I look into?
Thank you!

PS: I did look at the relocation post but since it is an older post, I figured updated recommendations would be great!
Check out Ardsley Park, You'll have to navigate the school system a bit, but the neighborhood schools are good with a lot of the neighborhood kids going there & to Savannah Arts High School. It's in the city but has all of the amentities close nearby.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:43 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
^ agree. Maybe pricey but tons of parks, walkable, even to historic district. Look at Washington Ave and around Daffin Park, beautiful. 20 mins to the beach. Most of the suburbs are red. SCGAFL sounds like a real winner but is right, most of southeast georgia is red. Exception is the city of Savannah. SCGAFL, wild idea - if you don't like people you don't agree with moving here.. instead of you telling other people what they can and can't do, why don't you yourself and move? (not telling other people what to do and doing something yourself almost sounds..conservative)

Old 02-03-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
The most troubling part is your penchant for liberalism. That isn't taken too kindly here by most, and the natives will tell you very quickly to go back from where you came if start complaining how conservative SEGA can be.
Perhaps go back and read the OP's post. They stated they were liberal. I'm just trying to help them out to understand, albeit in a less curmudgeonly way, what they are up against. That's what this site is supposed to be about - helping people with information. I'd argue your troubling penchant is for telling folks you disagree with to stay away from you. Message received, my friend!

Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM

474 posts, read 588,125 times
As someone who is a product of public schools in Savannah, it's really about the effort you're willing to put in. I attended the STEM program at Jenkins 15 years ago. It was great. It got me into Georgia Tech, and now I'm a productive member of society as a civil engineer. Yes, the school was full of troublesome kids, but what school isn't. Point is, the resources afforded me got me into a the #2 civil engineering program in the US and my guidance counselors were awesome at helping me get scholarships. I sought it out though, and that's what makes the difference. Nothing is handed to anyone on a silver platter in SCCPSS. You have to go to Metro Atlanta for that (i.e. Gwinnett or Cobb County Schools).

FYI, schools in Savannah and Chatham County are unified meaning the suburbs have the same access to resources afforded to City schools, and vice versa. That also means that if your kids qualify, they can go to any magnet program in the County. The school system will even send a bus for them. I got a bus from Pooler to Midtown Savannah, which saved my family an hour commute with morning/afternoon traffic each.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
^ agree. Maybe pricey but tons of parks, walkable, even to historic district. Look at Washington Ave and around Daffin Park, beautiful. 20 mins to the beach. Most of the suburbs are red. SCGAFL sounds like a real winner but is right, most of southeast georgia is red. Exception is the city of Savannah. SCGAFL, wild idea - if you don't like people you don't agree with moving here.. instead of you telling other people what they can and can't do, why don't you yourself and move? (not telling other people what to do and doing something yourself almost sounds..conservative)
Sorry brah, I'm from here. Last time I checked it's up to the newcomer to adapt their new surroundings, not the other way around. Lol your suggestion is most illogical.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Perhaps go back and read the OP's post. They stated they were liberal. I'm just trying to help them out to understand, albeit in a less curmudgeonly way, what they are up against. That's what this site is supposed to be about - helping people with information. I'd argue your troubling penchant is for telling folks you disagree with to stay away from you. Message received, my friend!
I am providing valid, useful info. It's not about me disagreeing with anyone at all....my post are factual.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
I am providing valid, useful info. It's not about me disagreeing with anyone at all....my post are factual.
I can see you got your feathers ruffled about my labeling conservative areas as places where a liberal newcomer might not like to live. I think you helped to illustrate that point rather well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area