Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 06:21 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

It's about time....
Quote:
The Housing Authority of Savannah says they plan to submit that application to HUD by late summer or early fall. They also say they will rehouse residents.

Yamacraw Village’s continuously low housing condition scores play a big part in why a demolition is being proposed. Records show Yamacraw Village is one of the worst-ranked public housing complexes in Georgia.

According to a WTOC Investigates analysis, the housing conditions at Yamacraw Village have continuously ranked among the bottom tier for years.

In 2018, Yamacraw Village received the lowest score in Georgia when inspectors gave it a score of 25 out of 100 points.
https://www.wtoc.com/2021/05/18/appl...acraw-village/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 07:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
I wonder if they will relocate the residents to suburbs like Pooler or south side with vouchers. Or the new project near DFCS.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I wonder if they will relocate the residents to suburbs like Pooler or south side with vouchers. Or the new project near DFCS.
With a voucher you can pick anywhere in the county & because of this it usually spreads people out. I saw this in Cincinnati 20 years ago when they shut down a lot of the public housing on the West end of town. The suburban police didn't know what hit them, as they starting averaging double digit murders & tons of gang activity. One of my friends who was a Cincinnati Cop "If you have ever seen 48 hours he was on it" said it was the best thing that ever happened for them. About 20% of all their murders disappeared within a year.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:53 PM

396 posts, read 417,636 times
Quote:
I hope to God not! Wanna talk about a taxpayer revolt?!

Old 05-19-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
Here is the thing, they don't have to stay in Chatham county, so Effingham & Richmond Hill are al possibilities.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
I have a hunch (could be wrong though, just a theory) now that billionaire Kessler does not need the low income opportunity zone tax credit they got from Yamacraw being in that neighborhood, it'll become hotels. I suppose you can hope the county arranges for some residents settling in Richmond Hill or Effingham etc but probably most will end up in surrounding suburbs here if they do not build more new projects.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:07 AM

396 posts, read 417,636 times
Quote:
I have a hunch (could be wrong though, just a theory) now that billionaire Kessler does not need the low income opportunity zone tax credit they got from Yamacraw being in that neighborhood, it'll become hotels. I suppose you can hope the county arranges for some residents settling in Richmond Hill or Effingham etc but probably most will end up in surrounding suburbs here if they do not build more new projects.
Good observation. I can see them being "moved" (trucked, packed up, etc) to Liberty City, West Savannah...maybe Southside. It is the Savannah Housing Authority, not Chatham County, so the moves would be within city limits I would imagine.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:16 AM

Indeed good point vis a vis it being a city agency. It could get contentious considering how the residents in West Savannah objected so strongly to the Salvation Army shelter being built there. It suppose it would make the most sense to locate a new project near DFCS and first responder services to co-locate residents with public services. But maybe they will also do vouchers to Pooler and other burbs since it also has a lot of employers. The city has a lot of area 'inside' of Pooler... like the Highlands and around the airport so they could probably finagle it.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Indeed good point vis a vis it being a city agency. It could get contentious considering how the residents in West Savannah objected so strongly to the Salvation Army shelter being built there. It suppose it would make the most sense to locate a new project near DFCS and first responder services to co-locate residents with public services. But maybe they will also do vouchers to Pooler and other burbs since it also has a lot of employers. The city has a lot of area 'inside' of Pooler... like the Highlands and around the airport so they could probably finagle it.
Pooler is going to get the majority of them as there are a lot of large corporate apartments out there, where there are tax advantages for them to accept vouchers.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:46 AM

Maybe Pooler will end up getting the bus as a result which would be nice.

Interesting segment on this https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news...le-demolition/ Impressive how long the church has been there.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 05-21-2021 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: