Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 04:11 PM

8 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Where are you moving from? I’m going to be renting a place soon for short term as well to see how I like it. I’m currently living in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM

74 posts, read 72,325 times
@OP - how goes the search?

Old 02-15-2022, 06:43 AM

83 posts, read 73,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA991.1 View Post
It's temporarily in abeyance.

We lost out on two more houses after the Victorian on E. Park; one in Ardsley Park and one in the Historic District. Actually, the one in the HD we didn't even get a chance to write up our offer. I had been checking the MLS periodically throughout the day and saw a listing for a townhouse on Habersham across from Fox & Fig that had gone live just an hour earlier and that looked very nice and very underpriced. I immediately texted my agent and asked her to make an appointment for us to see it before submitting our bid. By the time she texted back, it was already under contract. We've since seen a couple of other places, but nothing that excited us enough make a rushed decision or to get into a bidding war.

Even though we initially gave ourselves three months to make a decision on Savannah and find a more permanent place to live, we've decided that we'll need more time to do so. Accordingly, we've extended our lease in our townhouse on Monterey Square for a minimum of an additional two months, which will now take us through May. However, we've returned to our house in South Florida for a couple of weeks to take care of some things before resuming our search upon our return.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:27 PM

83 posts, read 73,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Too bad....maybe the next one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA991.1 View Post
Well, we're trying again.

We found a property today with a gorgeous water view that we really liked and we're writing an offer tonight. This time, our offer will be all cash with an escalation clause rising to almost 20% over asking. At this particular price point, we don't particularly care if we overpay. We're waiving all contingencies except the inspection. I'll let you know how it turns out.

On an unrelated matter, we got some great news from a local accountant regarding income taxes. With an AGI a little over $150k from pensions and Social Security, we had thought that we'd be paying around $8k-$9k in income taxes. We had no idea that Georgia exempted retirement income up to $65k/pp, not including SS, so it looks like we won't have to pay any state income tax at all. Or at worst, very little income tax! That makes moving from Florida a little easier.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:37 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole D. Cocker View Post
Well, we're trying again.

We found a property today with a gorgeous water view that we really liked and we're writing an offer tonight. This time, our offer will be all cash with an escalation clause rising to almost 20% over asking. At this particular price point, we don't particularly care if we overpay. We're waiving all contingencies except the inspection. I'll let you know how it turns out.

On an unrelated matter, we got some great news from a local accountant regarding income taxes. With an AGI a little over $150k from pensions and Social Security, we had thought that we'd be paying around $8k-$9k in income taxes. We had no idea that Georgia exempted retirement income up to $65k/pp, not including SS, so it looks like we won't have to pay any state income tax at all. Or at worst, very little income tax! That makes moving from Florida a little easier.
I hope it works out this time!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:13 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole D. Cocker View Post
Hi, all. Just wanted to drop in to let you know that this thread had been created by my wife, but when my laptop broke, I started using hers and didn't bother to sign out of her C-D account and into mine when I wrote my posts because it seemed like too much of an inconvenience, and now her account has been closed because of it. She's not too happy with me, lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that we got the house! It went on the market on a Friday morning and by Sunday they had 17 offers, including ours. The bad news is that we had to go significantly over their asking price to beat the other offers, but the good news is that it was still $20k less than we were willing to pay for it. And the even better news is that the total cost for this very nice 3/2 house on a lake with a dock was still significantly less than we sold a small one bedroom condo in Miami for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area