Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 03:19 PM

10 posts, read 14,008 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I recently moved out west after a decade in the south. We came to be close to family a while, but I'm itching to get back to Georgia. Savannah is the plan. We owned in Charleston for several years, stupidly sold, and could never buy there now.

I'm aware of the annoying parts of Charleston and Savannah.

We're hoping to buy in an affordable neighborhood that would work for:

40 yr. olds with no kids
Want to be close to downtown

Below, Stuff that matters a bit, perhaps, but I know the south well enough to know I'm not gonna find enclaves of aging hipsters outside Asheville and Atlanta:

I guess we're artsy leaning
Progressive politics

My wife is planning to quit her well-paying job to focus on an entrepreneurial project, so our income is gonna drop significantly, sadly. Hoping to buy in the $2-300k bracket.

Any advice on neighborhoods would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 04:32 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,837 times
To afford that, you're going to need to compromise on space or location, or maybe a bit of both. My 1,000 sq. ft. condo space south of Forsyth Park is worth more in the overheated market we now have. Granted, it is zoned commercial.

Think "fixer-upper" if you want space. Think "on the edge of gentrification" if you want to maximize the potential for not getting upside down in a plateauing, if not reversing market. The Victorian District is quickly converting. Eastward down the Anderson/Henry corridor toward Waters there are probably bargains to be had and like-minded folks.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM

64 posts, read 68,503 times
The only thing I'll add to the above is to be patient. We have made offers on several homes in and around Savannah recently, and within a matter of days of coming on the market there have been 10-20+ offers in some cases.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Think "on the edge of gentrification" if you want to maximize the potential for not getting upside down in a plateauing, if not reversing market.
Are you saying the housing market in Savannah is on the verge of cooling? Perhaps I should rent for a bit in that case. I thought I'd read it was only going to get crazier.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:17 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruseppi View Post
Are you saying the housing market in Savannah is on the verge of cooling? Perhaps I should rent for a bit in that case. I thought I'd read it was only going to get crazier.
It has definitely not cooled off here. You will really need to set the bar low to find anything under $300k in Savannah. You can still find some houses in Pooler, Rincon, Guyton, etc.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:52 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,837 times
I'm not saying the housing market is on the verge of cooling - quite the opposite. It's going nuclear. Then, soon enough it'll be a wasteland. “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:09 PM

Any thoughts on the Live Oak area?

Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM

74 posts, read 72,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruseppi View Post
Any thoughts on the Live Oak area?
Worth a look for homes in your price range. Flood insurance is advised - see http://floodfactor.com

Old 04-16-2022, 10:43 AM

202 posts, read 226,692 times
Better than Disgusta

Old 04-18-2022, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 77,866 times
Look around in the Whitfield Park area off Whitefield Avenue. Not far from city limits, but no city taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area