Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 09:18 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times

Advertisements

For those who are interested in independent and thoughtful voices on the political, cultural and social events and issues facing Savannah, a relatively new (but now well-established) digital alt-weekly publication should be on your radar. It's called The Savannahian, and it's really good.

They have a particularly insightful piece just published about the new 17-story SCAD dorm under construction, and how it was able to happen in an area formerly subject to height restrictions right against the Talmadge Bridge.

It's a cheap subscription, and you can count on it supporting independent local journalism not beholden to parent company ownership or outside commercial interests. It was started by three former Connect Savannah writers who separated from that publication when it underwent a sale to a new owner during the pandemic. I'm not one of them, and I have no connection to their publication. I just really appreciate that they exist, and continue to do good work for our local community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 06:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Very interesting. Sounds like some people are getting paid off, which wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:14 PM

Yeah, it definitely does. SCAD does have some juice.

Let's hope this isn't a slippery slope. The fact that it's jammed right up against the big bridge might offset some of the attention it would otherwise call to itself. But still, not a great precedent in what amounts to the Landmark Urban Historic District.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:08 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Yeah, it definitely does. SCAD does have some juice.

Let's hope this isn't a slippery slope. The fact that it's jammed right up against the big bridge might offset some of the attention it would otherwise call to itself. But still, not a great precedent in what amounts to the Landmark Urban Historic District.
Except its not within the historic district. Its just outside by a few blocks.

While I'm certain there will be backlash from this particular project, (personally I think the design is hideous) I do always say that Savannah is a living, breathing city, not a museum and should act as such. Creating an area where there are no height limits allows developers/companies to maximize their profits and advertises Savannah as a more business friendly city which has the potential to create high paying jobs and a better quality of life for its citizens as well as attracting more people. In addition, one will be able to view Savannah from a different perspective.

I think if done correctly, it can be a boon to Savannah itself. Hutchinson Island is also zoned this same way without height restrictions.

I say as long as it is outside of the designated historic district and it does not compromise what Savannah is, then lets move some dirt and let the money roll in.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:53 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

While I'm certain there will be backlash from this particular project, (personally I think the design is hideous) I do always say that Savannah is a living, breathing city, not a museum and should act as such. Creating an area where there are no height limits allows developers/companies to maximize their profits and advertises Savannah as a more business friendly city which has the potential to create high paying jobs and a better quality of life for its citizens as well as attracting more people. In addition, one will be able to view Savannah from a different perspective.

I think if done correctly, it can be a boon to Savannah itself. Hutchinson Island is also zoned this same way without height restrictions.

I say as long as it is outside of the designated historic district and it does not compromise what Savannah is, then lets move some dirt and let the money roll in.
I am a fan of architecture that reflects the fresh and modern, and I don’t think there’s enough contemporary public art either, but there have been some real clunkers plopped into Savannah in the past, so I hope there is someone who has good judgement, steering the ship.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a fan of architecture that reflects the fresh and modern, and I don’t think there’s enough contemporary public art either, but there have been some real clunkers plopped into Savannah in the past, so I hope there is someone who has good judgement, steering the ship.
Agreed.

You'd think SCAD could do a better job at this.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Actually, that's not correct. It's literally directly on the border of the Landmark district itself (McGuire Street between River and Indian - 641 W. River St). Check the map again. This is the MPC's own map, and it clearly shows the entirety of the lot in question inside the district. Regardless, the height map limit certainly included the plot where the new dorm is being constructed. That's what The Savannahian article was about.

I'm personally less against height infractions than I am about the poor aesthetic choices architects are designing and implementing, and our MPC and City Council are all too readily approving. This building is hideous. So are MANY others that have already been built around the historic district - usually hotels and not dormitories. But, they're all just awful looking - like a spruced up Soviet bloc country in the 2020s.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:21 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Actually, that's not correct. It's literally directly on the border of the Landmark district itself (McGuire Street between River and Indian - 641 W. River St). Check the map again. This is the MPC's own map, and it clearly shows the entirety of the lot in question inside the district. Regardless, the height map limit certainly included the plot where the new dorm is being constructed. That's what The Savannahian article was about.
No, it's not on the border, it's just west of the border, which is McGuire between Indian St. & the river.

Whoever drew that map didn't look at the actual words in the Code of Ordinances.

7.8.2 District Boundaries
The boundaries of the historic district shall be the area bounded on the north by the Savannah River; on the east by Randolph Street between the Savannah River and Broughton Street and by East Broad Street between Broughton and Gwinnett Streets; on the south by Gwinnett Street; and on the west by West Boundary Street to Indian Street, Indian Street to McGuire Street, extended to the River (emphasis added)

There's also a correctly drawn map in the City of Savannah Code of Ordinances. You can read the code and see the correctly drawn map by just clicking through on the link that you yourself provided. Alternatively, here's a direct link (just scroll down to 7.8.2): City of Savannah Code of Ordinances - Document Viewer

Old 05-12-2022, 06:27 PM

Another example of the MPC not doing correct work... I stand corrected. I suppose it's on me that I'm referring to published documents by the responsible agency.
The Landmark Urban Historic District is across the street. Splitting hairs a little bit, still. In either case, it's not even a "few blocks away." The lot is bordered on the east by McGuire Street.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Another example of the MPC not doing correct work... I stand corrected. I suppose it's on me that I'm referring to published documents by the responsible agency.
The Landmark Urban Historic District is across the street. Splitting hairs a little bit, still. In either case, it's not even a "few blocks away." The lot is bordered on the east by McGuire Street.
Yeah, you're right. I commented before I read the article. I had been under the impression that the designated historic district boundary was at MLK.

Also, it is interesting that even though it is only zoned for 3 stories, the newly built condos across the street are taller than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area