Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 07:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Savannah's postcard-worthy downtown area, complete with centuries-old oak trees draped in Spanish moss, is surely a thing of beauty. But the Hostess City has plenty more in store for potential residents. While the city itself is located on the banks of the Savannah River, if you're an ocean person, you'll be a short drive away from some of the best stretches of coastline in Georgia, including Tybee Island. Add to that Savannah's newfound status as one of the country's best food destinations, scenic landscapes, and affordable homes, and you get a good picture of why it was one of the metro areas that experienced a huge population boost in 2022.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/bes...-coast-7107398
Savannah has received a lot of press lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 10:54 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Savannah has received a lot of press lately.
Which is partially responsible for the major uptick in rents

Old 09-23-2023, 03:58 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Savannah is firmly in the South, not the East Coast. And housing prices, unfortunately, have never been in line w/ wages. It's very much overpriced, and has been for decades. Crime has been an issue too, which is why I left. To me, the only place to live in Savannah is the Historical District, which is where one runs into high housing prices and some dicey areas. The downtown is beautiful w/ it's squares and old buildings, but that comes w/ a price attached to it.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:49 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Savannah/Georgia are not on the East Coast? That is a weird statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Savannah is firmly in the South, not the East Coast. And housing prices, unfortunately, have never been in line w/ wages. It's very much overpriced, and has been for decades. Crime has been an issue too, which is why I left. To me, the only place to live in Savannah is the Historical District, which is where one runs into high housing prices and some dicey areas. The downtown is beautiful w/ it's squares and old buildings, but that comes w/ a price attached to it.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:20 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Savannah/Georgia are not on the East Coast? That is a weird statement.
Many think of the East Coast as only from DC or VA and to the north of it, while the Southeast is strictly the South, even the coastal areas.

On a side note I once had someone (from California) tell me that Seattle is not on the West Coast since it's up north.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:39 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
I had a cousin from Staten Island once tell me anything west of Jersey was the boondocks. I figure he thought the same about anything south of Atlantic City. He rarely traveled, so I chalked it up to him just being a provincial dumbass. Funny, after all these years, I still feel the same way.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:44 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
I can see some people thinking of it in those terms for cultural or maybe political reasons. I've definitely heard usage of Northeast or Atlantic seaboard for those reasons/rationale. To claim Georgia isn't east coast- a simple geographic location- is odd to me. And the comment about Seattle is just as silly. To each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Many think of the East Coast as only from DC or VA and to the north of it, while the Southeast is strictly the South, even the coastal areas.

On a side note I once had someone (from California) tell me that Seattle is not on the West Coast since it's up north.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:00 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You can live in the historic district and pretend to be a Savannah native, but you never will be. That is fine. If you have enough money to live and enjoy the historic district, go ahead and do that.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:56 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
The historic district is really not the only place to live and feel safe. How about the islands? Pooler? Richmond Hill? Port Wentworth. All are part of the greater Savannah metropolitan area. I could even say Ardsley park intown.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:39 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The historic district is really not the only place to live and feel safe. How about the islands? Pooler? Richmond Hill? Port Wentworth. All are part of the greater Savannah metropolitan area. I could even say Ardsley park intown.
Unless you can afford the historic district, you might be in anywhere USA. There are plenty of areas of Savannah that are desirable, but also plenty of them that are not. Bottom line=money. If you want the peak experience of living here, whatever that means to you, you need to be prepared to pay for it.

I live in Pooler. I feel safe and I’m happy to live here, and I’m glad to be here, but it is no different from living anywhere. The essence of Savannah, or any other city, is that you need to be in the thick of it, and that comes with baggage.

My point is, Pooler is like anytown usa. Put it into Ohio, or MO, or Florida, and it doesn’t matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area