Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 AM

182 posts, read 711,104 times

Advertisements

I saw the remodel he did on his LA home too- that was another spectacular job. He has got some major money from somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I'm not going to put this in the Macon thread, Gamecock, but I was up there yesterday and thought of you. Talk about some great Victorian homes. Their historic district doesn't seem anywhere as freaky as ours is, crimewise. I'm sure there are problems, like anywhere. But there are so many homes, and the ones we were pricing (out of curiousity, not homeshopping) were half to a third the price of Savannah houses.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
So I have been on the fence about making the move from FL to Savannah for over a year now. I have visited Savannah as a tourist a few times and fell in love. These boards scared me. I tried to find a new city to love. But I love Savannah.
I have decided to make the move. I am traveling to Savannah in July to 'really' look around the city, and check out areas to live. I hope to actually move in the fall/winter.
For a long time I have watched this board and many strong, open-minded, starry eyed, risk-taking, diverse people have been scared away from moving to Savannah due to the racism and crime. I have hoped desperately that one of these people would get over their fear, make the move to Savannah and report back to the rest of us fence-sitters how it really is in Savannah.
Wait no more. I am going. I encourage everyone else to as well. I cant help but think that if all the people who get scared away from Savannah actually moved to Savannah then maybe things in Savannah would be different.
Over the past year I have watched the board and seen people over and over scared away from Savannah. A year later, the problems are the same. Scaring people away from Savannah and keeping the status quo does not seem to be changing Savannah insiders perspectives of Savannah, so maybe getting an inflow of outsiders into the population will help the crime, racism, job problems and poor education.
I am going to Savannah, and all you fence-sitters are welcome to join me. I am determined to enjoy the unique features that I have only found in this city, I am determined to keep my optimistic attitude that people are polite in the south, and that I in turn will become a nicer and better mannered person. Finally, I am determined to find a spot on the map where trees line the street, the pace of life is slower, and I do not have to pay the equivelent of feeding a small country for a month of rent.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,316 times
So happy for you wanting to move to this beautiful city. Just one question have you found a home? I live on the Southside in a very nice quiet neighborhood & have a 2br 1 bath house for sell. I am relocating to South Caroline but not until sell my home.. Have my home listed... So if you might be interested let me know....

Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Ellie...Your post intrests me! I am getting a bit discouraged with the high prices in Savannah combined with the crime/ poor school systems. First I thought my price range would get me something decent, and I thought I'd get a heck of a deal while I was at it, neither are panning out perfectly yet.
That combined with the fact that I dont have a job yet and am at an age where I should be considering school systems has made me think about other options, but really, Savannah is the only city I have been in that feels...well, like Savannah.
But since you live in Savannah, love Savannah, and think Macon is a good alternative, I trust your opinion. I will check it out while also monitoring the Savannah housing market at the same time.
I cant figure out if it is a blessing that we want to buy a home that maintains its value in the face of this housing crisis, or if it is absurdity that we buy a 'regular priced' home in a time of 'discount deals' everywhere.
Thank you Ellie.
And Islandgurl- if you have read my description and have a pre1930s home priced 250k or less, send me the listing! I would love to look at it. I look on realtor.com regularly, but have to check what 'area' I am looking in, Thunderbolt, Islands, historic, richmond hill, ect. Since I am unfamiliar with what areas are where, I always just check 'historic'. So I may have never seen your listing!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 PM

I think historic Macon is working hard to make a turn around. Right now much of the population is outside the older part of town. But from what I can see, the city and other organizations are making great efforts to attract people to the city core. There are even financial incentives available for people who qualify. Plus Macon has more buildings on the historic register than Savannah or Charleston has. You could find yourself at the beginning of a movement rather than far after the wave.

I've read a few posts about Macon and it sounds to me like the suburbanites are an unhappy crew. The people I met yesterday are fireballs of enthusiasm.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Ellie, I looked into Macon briefly and will look into it more. It will be a "hard sell" to my fiance as he is a fishing and boating fanatic who wants to live on water. Thats his only criteria. Poor boy if that gets taken away from him. LOL.
I am looking at this I-cant-really-afford-Savannah-deal differently right now.

Rather than thinking "oh, why are the house prices not being slashed 50-60k the way they are being slashed all over the country? How can I justify paying full price for a home when everyone I know is getting great deals?"

I look at it as "I am paying full price, or near full price because this darn home retains its value, even in one of the worst housing housing crises' I have seen." LOL.

Rather than think I am paying too much, I think I am buying a long term good deal.

Now I wait till I can afford this good deal. LOL. I'm coming to Savannah. Just dont know when.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM

Being away from the water - that's what I don't like. Plus I don't know many people there.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM

Ellie, my fiance and I looked at house listings in Macon last night. We are keeping it in mind. He was suprisingly open to the idea. I think he is frusterated at the high prices in Savannah and the possibility of having to put off buying another year to save up more. In Macon the housing prices ARE much better. But since I dont know the towns layout or feel, we will check it out in September when we are on a cross country drive from MN to FL. And we still plan to check out Savannah again in Sept/Oct too.

We are very much looking for a downtown feel, with shops, bars, food within walking/biking distance, all within a tight commercial/residential historic area. I hope Macon has it. Or I hope that my bank starts paying me 5% on my down payment money and then Savannah would be an option too! LOL.
And of course jobs would be a consideration too. We will look into that. I would hope I can find a desk/management job anywhere with a masters degree, but thats not always the case (as I have heard it is hard to find in Savannah). But a lower priced house would mean I could take a very low paying job to start out and still pay the bills no problem. My fiance has a traveling job and is not too concerned about his job prospects right now in whatever city we choose.

For everyone else reading this~Sorry for hogging this thread with my indecisivesness guys.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 241,819 times
As for another city just like Savannah, I'd have to say Charleston, SC. Jacksonville use to be somewhat like Savannah a couple decades ago but has grown tremendously and abandoned the historic charm in favor of being a modern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area