Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,651 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a house which was leased to me orally, nothing signed, and I've paid my security deposit, and first month's rent, but I'm going to be moving out at the end of the month. I gave the landlord oral notice of the date I'd be moving about a week ago, and am giving them written notice today. They say that I will not be getting back my security deposit unless I pay for July as well because according to Ga law, I have to give them 30 days written notice of when I'll be moving out. I did not know that I'd be moving out until the day before I'd initially notified them orally, so I told them as soon as I knew.

I think that I should get the deposit back and not be required to pay for July to do it. I've only lived in the house for 18 days, and I've paid, completely for the month of June and the Security Deposit. If they have someone move in on July 1st, then they aren't losing any money. I really can't see why they just won't give me back the deposit. Also, I've caused no damage to the house.

What do you all think that I should do? Am I totally screwed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Default Rent

Here is what you need to realize from the Land Lord´s point of view.

1.) You rented a house based on a Month to month lease assumption. His view is you didn't give him the 30 days prior notice per Ga. law.
2.) He now has to clean, repair, and possibly repaint areas of the property.
3.) He has to advertise the to attract a new tentent.
4.) How much would a extended stay motel have cost?...This was cheaper than that.

I don't think you are going to get your money back anytime soon and need to realize the land lord is loosing money here too.

Last edited by bellhead; 06-18-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,651 times
I wasn't planning on moving for at least a year when I moved in. This was caused by me being offered (and getting) a job which required me to move.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endosage View Post
I wasn't planning on moving for at least a year when I moved in. This was caused by me being offered (and getting) a job which required me to move.
Yes, but, that has nothing to do with your landlord. It's great that you got a job offer and it's good for YOU, but for HIM, you're breaking off and leaving after only two weeks, and he has to go through the whole process of getting a new tennant again. That costs money and time.

Not trying to sound rude, but most likely when you tell him why you're moving, his thoughts are, "that's not my problem". You keep thinking in terms of "you"... you got a job and have to move because of it. He doesn't care about you. He's worried about HIM and the expense and trouble of getting a renter to replace you with no real notice. You're the one breaking a lease (even a verbal one) and moving out, so you need to see this from his standpoint. Everything was verbal, so there's nothing on paper explaining what terms would have to be met to get a deposit back. It would cost you multiple times that amount in legal fees to get it back.

Consider it an expense of taking the new job early. Just move, don't push it, and move on with your life. If your new job works out, then make sure you have a written lease at your next place that spells everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area