Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 48,915 times

Advertisements

Hi. I 'm relocating to Savannah in a few weeks. I'm trying to find out the areas to avoid as well as the nicer places to live. I've been reading though the posts trying to figure it out, but I am having some difficulty because I do not know the areas, districts, parks etc... I'm hoping someone could give the areas and add the streets (N,E,S,W) so I can mark them on my street map. I would really appreciate it. Not really sure where I'm wanting to live? Downtown, the islands, the beach, golf courses... The areas downtown would be walking distance to dining, bars, shopping, and ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 PM

182 posts, read 711,298 times
Wow. Have fun with that one Ellie and Padgett. LOL. But if you are able to identify the bad pockets, I will be taking note as well. So far I have a big honking X (as in NO) anything south of Forsyth park and north of Victory Dr. Not sure how accurate that is, but thats what I gathered.

Last edited by gamecock43; 07-13-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: added

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
aha, Gamecock! sounds as if you have been paying attention. While there are some great areas in the places you put an X on, giving anyone a clue as to what to avoid would have to include this area. We can't give definite answers unless we drive by and look. And while I don't know about Ellie, I am not going to do that unless I just happened to be going that way. Anyway, this can't answer the question either. One block can be going down hill, the next is being restored to decent housing. How long or how fast, this will happen, is anyone's guess.

You see, the problem is that "Savannah" also includes a LARGE metropolitan area that is NOT in the city limits, but in the unincorparated Chatham County. The way the city is laid out, it simply can't grow east, west or north and the people living in the area south, do not want to be taken into the city and pay city taxes. Sooooo, for that reason, the older part of Savannah is not where everyone wants to be. Some sections are just plain BAD. The south of Victory Drive is generally, by not always, much, much better. Better shopping, fun, medical care, you name it....it's there....south of Victory Drive. And to the north of Victory, sometimes yes, it's wonderful, things are changing. BUT you have to look and be careful where you buy.

Anyone wanting to be close to golf courses would want the Bacon Park, Henderson Park, Wilminton Island, La Vista course areas. Those interested in the beach.....Wilmington Island, Whitemarsh Island, Talahi Island and others.

If I were in the mood for a condo and liked the water, I would pick one of the new condos at Thunderbolt that overlook the Thunderbolt River. $$$$$, but probably worth the price for a balcony that overlooks the water of the Intercoastal Waterway.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM

And I forgot....the ultra "good" places (read that as MONEY) would be areas like Skidaway Island (large, gated, with golf, tennis, boating, shopping, etc. everything but a cemetery) Dutch Island, Wylly Island, (both small and gated). Long Island, (part of Whitemarsh, also gated)

On the Western side of Chatham County, you have little towns like Garden City, Pooler, Port Wentworth, all of which are like Anytown, USA. Nice, but not the same as the older, more established, eastern areas.

there are also some areas where you find a high concentration of certain religious or ethnic groups. We even have a Buddist Temple. If living in such a neighborhood concerns, or entices, you, then you should mention it to your realtor.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 134,191 times
But what if you dont want golf courses, or that "subburbian feeling." What if you like the old houses and rehabilation, just learned today not to call it restoration!! LOL
Dont want to be by the water, or on an island. No condos, no townhouses.
You like the downtown area, you like the 2 story houses with proches and interesting archtecture. Should we let a few criminal elements scare us off?? Or should we do our best to help fix up the community?? Be a part of the community.
As my hubby says they can shoot us, but they cant eat us!!!! LOL

Alice in Savannah at least for right now!!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM

This is fine, if that's what you want. Those houses are great! No doubt about it. I wish you luck on finding just what you want. I used to live in a lovely one on East Henry Street. It's still there and has been restored. I would love to see what the inside looks like now.

There are those that just happen to like other types of neighborhoods. I wouldn't want the upkeep or cleaning on a two story house with high ceilings. They are beautiful, but hard to heat and cool. I wouldn't want the expense of having to paint one of those beauties either. But the main things is that my neighbors, and my neighborhood, are more important to me than the house I live in. Therefore, I would rather live where I don't have to worry about what goes on in the next block.

That's what is nice about Savannah. There are places that can suit just about anyone. Sometimes it takes a careful search.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Alice in Savannah, I have a new game plan. Move in next door to you, that way there are 2 of us and if anyone in the neighborhood gets me nervous I will run into your yard with your big dogs. And when I buy my fixer upper I will have an experienced rehabber to tell me that my ideas like adding gables and turrents is really not a good idea after all. LOL.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 PM

hmmm...er... I hate to mention this, but if you are planning on adding anything like gables and turrents to a house that's in a certain historic areas, you may have to forget it! You can't always paint it the way you want to either. So, everyone, be careful. If you are planning on changes, be sure and check first.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Naaa...I wouldnt want to mess with original architecture, thats why I am somewhat picky to begin with. But I know I have caviar budget on a beer budget so I'm sure I will come up with some pretty outrageous ideas that need to be reigned in.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Whew!! I didn't think you were the kind that would. It's a relief to know. It would surprise you......well, maybe it wouldn't.....what some people plan to do to "fix up" one of these Fine Old Ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area