U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 13,924 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd throw this out there for people looking to live close to post at Ft Stewart.

I live in the Hinesville area 1 minute from post. The area I live in is very low crime rate. I have to say I do believe the media has built Hinesville up to be something it is not as far as crime goes. I have lived here since March 07 and the only problems I have had has been with two neighbors. LOL (long story)

I was here for 2 months when I realized I loved Hinesville! The people down here are very friendly. You can walk into any store with a handful of goods loaded up on you and the cashiers will bring a buggy to you! Where can you find nice people like that? I am originally from a small town in TN and we pride ourselves in hospitality and friendliness, but I do believe Hinesville GA has got us whooped!

Rent is pretty high down here. When we first moved to the area we were renting a 1250 sq ft home (nice and quaint) for $950.00 per month, $950.00 deposit, and $50.00 applcation fee (non refundable). I do HIGHLY suggest you stay away from EXIT REALITY down here. They have a reputation for ripping military families off when it come to getting their deposits back. We heard this and used them anyways and learned the hard way that the rumor was true. They even had the gall to bill us an additional $36.00. The home we moved out of only needed the lawn mowed but they claimed damages to interiors was the cause of the loss of deposit. It was not true. Take pictures of the home before you move your things in, or they will loop hold you and make them yours. The landlord and them knew of the damages and knew they were there before we moved in, but because we didnt take pics, they became our damages. TAKE PICS OF YOUR NEW HOME AND ALL DAMAGES.

There's a lot of stores and shopping in the area of Hinesville. Small town values in a big city. I like that. You will read about a lot of predjuctice in the area online, but I honestly have not seen anything like that. From what I have seen all races get along pretty well down here.

There are a few high crime areas in Hinesville, I will try to find them all out for you if you'd like. I know Shady Lane is one of them. It's a little ghetto down in that area and the landlords do nothing to keep the property up. Happy Acres is another domestic hot spot to steer clear of. Sounds nice but isn't. It's full of drugs and domestic voilence.

Richmond Hill is supposed to be a nice place down here but rent is very high in that area $1500.-$2800. per month. Tybee island and most of the ones you mentioned are fairly far away from here and traffic is horrible during the morning and evening transits. So you may want to reconsider those areas. Most Ft Stewart ppl try to rent in the Pembroke, Richmond Hill, Hinesville, and Jesup areas from what I know.

We ended up purchasing a 3600 sq ft home here paying $1133.83 per month verses a 1250 sq ft home $950.00 for renting something way too small for us.

Hope this info helps you and feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions and need anything to help you learn more about our area.

A lot of people use the savannah cl for finding things they want to buy or freecycle for things they can get for free. But there is a site where you can get both and it is directed mainly for military members and families to use and of course they welcome the local area people too. You can find them at http://www.BootCampBargains.com and a special mommys website I love is http://www.MommysBid.com I hope once you get to the area you'll use these sites as they are still growning and are 100% FREE. I use both of them and know they are both trust worthy sites and moderated very well.

Hope my information helps anyone out there wanting to know more about our area, and feel free to contact me if I left something out you'd like to know more about.

Last edited by ArmyStrong; 08-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Left out some info.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 28,177 times
Can you provide more information on the 'shady lanes and ' happy aces' areas? I'm sure that those can't be the only "high crime' areas and so I'm hesiant to try and move into the Hinesville area compared to Pooler but pooler would be a good commute each day for sure. Do you have any reccomendations?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 25,656 times
I agree Hinesville is a great city. It's actually kind of big when you look at that whole area from Google Earth, including Midway and Walthourville. It's weird; it's a small town, but with a huge four-lane highway as its main road. I never even knew there was a nice little town square in the downtown area until after I lived there for three years. Take a trip to Zum Rosenhoff in downtown if you have the time. It's a German diner in a tiny two story restauraunt.
Over the years I lived there, I noticed more and more different parts of town. That road they built next to Wal-Mart which connected Oglethorpe Hwy. to Elma G. Miles prkwy made commute between different areas easier. They are building more and more residential areas.
And as for Paradisejoe, stay away from anything with the word "shady" at the beginning of its name and you'll be fine in this wonderful city.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 24,721 times
Talking Hinesville

Thank you Army Strong and others for your vivid pictures of Hinesville. I am a military person (obviously via my tag, ) and I am arriving to Fort Stewart 17 Sep 08. I would like to know from someone reading this post and knows any information about Ludowici? I have chosen that small town as a my new place to call home (hint...cheaper rent versus Richmond Hill etc.) and hopefully Ludowici is a small town that offers plenty of shopping, hospital and transportation needs to post.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,354 times
Hello Sgt.
I can tell you what you need to know about Ludowici - We currently own a home here and were hoping to retire - but of course the Army does not care what you want and therefore we are PCS'ing once again - to Ft. Lewis in October.
We have lived in Ludowici for almost 2 years now. We moved here because of the school. I have one child in High School - and there was NO WAY my kid was going to either of the High Schools in Hinesville.
If you are looking for plenty of shopping a hopsital, and "public" transportation to post, Ludowici is not the area for you. This is a very small town, everyone knows everyone, one traffic light and about 10 - 15 min to Hinesville and about 10- 15 min to Jesup. If you need groceries you can hit the only grocery store, the local "IGA" Savannah is about 50 min North and Brunswick (great area, less traffic than Savannah - and cleaner IMO) is 50 min South. Don't worry about running out of gas, we have PLENTY of gas stations for such a small area.
I like not having neighbors on top of me - We live on an acre lot, privacy fence - only 5 houses on our street, and across the street are woods - the kids still have friends because around the corner there is a subdivision.
Oh, Looking for a hospital? You have to go to Hinesville or Jesup. I'm an RN, use to work for memorial in Sav - would recommend you go there for healthcare in an emergency or for anything serious. Great, Fantastic Hospital.
Okay, feel free to e-mail if you have any further questions!! Welcome to Ft. Stewart.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 24,721 times
Hello Can't Complain,
Thank you so much for your reply. My guess is that I will grow to love Ludowici. I can adjust and feel at home anywhere. Compared to living in New York and Philadelphia, I now love the rural areas more than any other places. I enjoy being away from many people. I can also adjust to one supermarket and one traffic light. I will try my best to make it home (for now). I wish you and your family the best that life offers all of you at your new Fort Lewis assignment. For now, I too -- can't complain.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 12,017 times
Happy Acres, which is located in Hinesville, GA on Kelly Drive has employees who are current users of drugs, huffing and violent criminal histories, probations and known pasts. It is not surprising that Happy Acres will never amount to anything but a ran down ghetto. STAY AWAY FROM HAPPY ACRES!!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 11,884 times
Smile Tiredofslumlords posting nov. 3rd

SLUMLORDS.......? I THINK NOT!! I moved to Happy Acres about 5 months ago, along with my three children. I have no problems, nor have I seen any drug use with any of the employees of Happy Acres. They are very courteous and very friendly too. They respond to the needs of us residence in a timely manner. As for that ghetto remark, I have never seen a ghetto that looked this good. Just my opinion.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 11,462 times
Hello All: I have a home on Colonel's Island on Deep water with a dock. I want to rent it out but don't know where to list it or who to call? If anyone can help with some info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Bruce 912.271.3470

Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM

10,466 posts, read 21,523,329 times
Put a sign on the dock and one out in the street. Otherwise, list it on Craigs List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area