Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,641 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Savannah in December. We both want to live downtown and are planning on renting. We initially planned to make a trip down in September to scout out the city and some apartments, but now we are afraid that would be too early and if we do see an apt we like, that it won't be available by December. Now we're considering visiting in November, but our worry is that we won't give ourselves enough time and will have a hard time finding something. Any thoughts on this or what the rental market is typically like? I've tried contacting some realtors but haven't gotten any helpful advice back and we need to have this planned soon in order to get time off from our respective jobs.

If you know of any places in particular that you'd recommend or anything that will be open in December, I'd definitely be happy to hear about that as well. We'd like to be close to SCAD's sequential arts building on Broughton (he'll be taking most of his classes there and won't have a car), want at least 1 bed/bath, cats must be allowed (preferably dogs as well), and we're looking in the $600 - 700 price range, although I did see a few apts available now where all utilities are included and we could go higher if that was the case.

Also, I saw another post that said GSU is about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs from Savannah. Can anyone confirm that? I was looking at AASU to complete my degree, but GSU seems to offer way more degree options.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,122,213 times
GSU is at Statesboro and is 50-60 miles away depending on where you start from. There is no way that you could plan on getting there without a car. And depending on traffic, 1 1/2 hours would be a good estimate from some areas during early morning and evening rush hours.

Getting to ASU from an area close to SCAD would depend on the public transportation (CAT) It might be easier on you both to try for a spot between SCAD and ASU and both of you catch a bus.

To get a place that accepts pets in the area close to SCAD is probably going to be more than you want to pay. It's possible but unlikely. Would either of you consider biking to class? It would give you more options.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 678,767 times
for the Savannah area there is The Creative Coast Alliance Home - The Creative Coast Alliance (Savannah, GA) which lists a few apartments but not many.

Quite a few of the apartments down there are Multifamily homes where one apartment is the bottom floor and another is the top floor.

But they do have other setups, this one fits the critiera you listed but it's 2.6miles from campus, this is where a bike would come in handy
from: 342 Bull St., Savannah, GA 31402 (Savannah College of Art and Design) to: Ridgewood, Savannah, GA - Google Maps

Of course you will be able to figure out much more physically being there. Also looking at a newspaper's classified ads http://class.savannahnow.com/classif...p_type=results and/or craigslist savannah apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the helpful tips. I should have mentioned that while he won't have a car, I WILL - which is why we're trying to stay closer to SCAD and it's not so important how close we are to whichever school I end up going to.

And he definitely plans on biking to his classes

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 195,991 times
I'm also relocating in December. I'm going to be a new prof at SCAD (ID Dept). Anyway, I was told that there are classified listings in the SCAD online paper: District | The Student Voice of SCAD ...

As to part of your question, as to when to come to look, I've done a lot of renting in my time and the best time to look is withing 6-4 weeks of when you want to move in. 6 weeks is often a stretch but doable, but a month is very appropriate for landlords who get a month's notice on an apt and then need to put clean-up time into a space.

We are going down the week of Nov 10th.

-- dave

Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,989 times
doctoral student (female) looking to relocate to savannah next june. looking to rent house (have a dog). what are the safest neighborhoods to rent a house?
thanks in advance...cindy

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM

Dave - Thanks so much! This is jointly our first time trying to rent out of state and we're from Michigan where there is no scarcity of apartments, so we were feeling lost on that for a bit.

We actually decided yesterday, just based on the fact that most listings are for spaces that are available immediately, to go down there that same week.

I read somewhere else on the forum about the SCAD District classifieds and they've probably been more helpful than anything else I've looked at so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area