Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

Hi all...my name is Yolanda, I'm 24 and I ahve a 7year old daughter. I want to know the best place to live in chatham county. I currently live in North carolina in the country and I just wanted to get some where with more city aspects a bit closer to me but will all the conviences of the country to.

I want my daughter to attend a very good school system, she plays the violin so I want her to be able to keep that up. I need for her to be some where mostly where she can be apart of many activities with in her school as she gets older.

I prefer not to live where the crime rate is high for that particular area and where jobs are plentyful,,it may seem like alot but its our future so I want to make sure I'm picking good.

If someone can please help me with the names of maybe a few possibly towns that I could check out it would be greatly appreciated.

Much obliged, Yolanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:57 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,451 times
Bloomingdale Elementary School has the fine and performing arts program. My Daughter is learning to play the violin there.

Savannah Arts Academy (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/ - broken link) is the first dedicated Visual and Performing Arts Specialty Program in Savannah, Georgia. Students concentrate in one of the arts majors: Communication Arts, Dance, Instrumental or Vocal Music, Theatre Arts, and Visual Arts.
Savannah Arts Academy Wins Governor’s Cup (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/October+2008/Savannah+Arts+Academy+Wins+Governor%E2%80%99s+Cup. htm - broken link)

Silver Medal School

SAA
instrumental groups, including the Silverwinds Ensemble, the Concert Ensemble, and the SkyeLite Jazz Band. The SkyeLite Jazz Band has performed in China, London, and Washington D.C. The Jazz Band was also invited to play at the National School Board Association's National Convention in San Francisco in April 2007. The Silverwinds Ensemble traveled to Australia and performed in the Sydney Opera House in June 2008.
The Chorus traveled to perform at Carnegie Hall last summer.

Shuman Fine Arts Middle School

One can live anywhere in Chatham County and attend these arts programs
Students will have the opportunity to apply to any Specialty Program School within the school district.
This open enrollment option will not restrict or deny students based on their current attendance zoned school.

Safer living areas: The Islands on the East side of Chatham County or the West Chatham Cities of Pooler, Bloomingdale, or Port Wentworth

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 10-18-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 PM

737 posts, read 2,449,353 times
I'm on Wilmington Island.
Moved down from Lake of the Ozarks MO. in June.
I love it here.
Lots of places "For Rent" up and down Johnny Mercer Blvd.
Prices run around $750.00+utilities for a two bedroom.

Low crime.
Not tooo much traffic.
Really nice people.
And a short drive to "The Action" of Savannah.
I'll prolly be here until the Lord votes me off the island, heh.

HTH

Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,777 times
Default Moving 2 Savannah Georgia.....

Good Morning Everyone....

Im a single mother of 3 children 17-boy 16-girl and 13-boy. Im looking to find a very good high school which has best teachers - high academics - top athletic dept and safe area to learn new cultures and more....

I have a gfriend of mine who is moving down to Savannah this spring time of 2009 with her 3 children as well of minority race. She is looking for a best elementary school and a very good daycare for her 22 month daughter.

What is the best area to live in a townhouse, home or apt in savannah? Places who accept section 8 housing with good landlords. Places that accept cats? Is there any activities for children to do in savannah as well as in teenagers? What do adults do for a night out in savannah? How far is the ocean from Savannah? and anything else you can tell me......

We are moving from South Dakota where the temps are very cold and very hot. So once we move out of south dakota can you tell me do we leave all our winter stuff behind cause I have heard that georgia dont get snow that often but when you do the whole state shuts down. I guess being from the midwest where we are used to this kind of weather that it will be fun for our children to go out and play.

Is there a way we can find out where all the stores are in the city or a tour guide of the city?

On renewing drivers license in savannah...Do you need to take the drivers test down there or just renew our licenses?

How are the jobs there and if theres anything else you can tell us please send me an reply on here it will be so helpful thanks......god bless

Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,919,336 times
A good, well known high school in Savannah is Savannah Arts Academy. As for elementary, May Howard is also good.
Before you move, make sure you have a job lined up especially in this economy. In Savannah, white collar jobs are hard to find so know what you're looking for and have at least an interview lined up.
That said, I would suggest renting before you buy. Get a good idea of Savannah before you move, although I could really say that about any city. Savannah is a beautiful coastal town, about 25 minutes from the ocean and I know you'll love it, but get to know it first.
Winters here are very mild. As a matter of fact, this part of Georgia is probably the mildest in the state. Our typical coldest averages range from 58 during the day to 37 at night. It can and does get colder than this quite often. This morning it was 32 for example. For the next few days its supposed to get between 20-25 at night. Not too bad for upper midwest standards though. Snow? We haven't seen the stuff fall for quite some time. 2 years ago, the airport reported snow in november but we only had sleet downtown where I was. The last time I remember it snowing downtown was in 2002 and the last time anything accumulated, dusting to an inch, was back in 1996. 1989 we had 5 inches on Christmas, but thats our first white christmas ever. Summers are hot. A different kind of heat than you are used to in the upper midwest. Our heat is a very humid heat. It might not get up to 105+ but its not unusual to have a humid 100 degree day, although it tends to stay between 90-95. Nights during the summer can be between 73-79.
As far as renewing your license is concerned, I believe all you have to do is get it renewed. No tests that I'm aware of.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM

165 posts, read 505,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
As far as renewing your license is concerned, I believe all you have to do is get it renewed. No tests that I'm aware of.
No test is required. At least it wasn't 1-1/2 years ago when we got here.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Corner of Eisenhower and Waters.
Bring a valid driver's license with you.
Take the eye test.
Pay the fee.
You're good to go until your next birthday.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,919,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Take the eye test.
Pay the fee.
Every four years according to my license. Maybe its different depending on the license you get possibly?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Take the eye test.
Pay the fee.
If you are on the Westside there is also a place on GA 21 North of Rincon with much less of a wait and more pleasant bureaucrats!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Every four years according to my license. Maybe its different depending on the license you get possibly?
WI is right.
I just meant that it renews on your birthday, unlike some other states, is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area