Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 AM

737 posts, read 2,460,634 times

Advertisements

" You can get to Wilmington Island in a matter of minutes and there are restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, churches and even mini golf. Tybee is a bit further, but has more to offer."

Such as...?
Just askin', is all.

And Ellie knew that I was going to go here, dintcha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Thunderbolt or Wilmington Island both have pubs within walking distance - and condominiums.

There's the whole ocean right next to Tybee, more restaurants, more places to drink, and a strange little grocery for last minute necessities. And you can walk or ride your bike to virtually everything there with little or no hassle.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM

"There's the whole ocean right next to Tybee, more restaurants, more places to drink, and a strange little grocery for last minute necessities. And you can walk or ride your bike to virtually everything there with little or no hassle"

Point taken.

But you still gotta come over to Wilmington for anything else.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
"There's the whole ocean right next to Tybee, more restaurants, more places to drink, and a strange little grocery for last minute necessities. And you can walk or ride your bike to virtually everything there with little or no hassle"

Point taken.

But you still gotta come over to Wilmington for anything else......and downtown, and the southside, and Atlanta... no place has everything. Just depends on what you want.
But Tybee is pretty awesome if you don't need to come into town every day.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM

And you added to my post.
No fair!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM

165 posts, read 507,826 times
Just Plain Al--
You're just your own regular tourism board for Wilmington aren't you?

It's great that you're so happy there!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnespy View Post
Just Plain Al--
You're just your own regular tourism board for Wilmington aren't you?

It's great that you're so happy there!
People are great.
Everything I need, or want, within a five minute drive.
And if I need something special, Thunderbolt---Whitemarsh---me---Tybee
What's not to love?

If I am getting on anybuddy's last nerve about Wilmington I'll stop...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM

42 posts, read 132,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thank you so much for the info!!!
Yes, of course, a senior in high school..there is a huge world to explore and you should do that before you marry and have kiddies of your own!!

Your post was most welcome and that's exactly what I don't like about Bluffton. My husband and I like to go out and have an occasional cocktail..so having a pub close to home or within walking distance would be nice..I know that is NOT going to be the case in Bluffton

Exactly, versus in Savannah, especially the downtown area, there are many good places to have that occasional cocktail. Tons of quality bars/pubs downtown, including eccentric places like LuLu's chocolate bar.

While we're on the subject of going out, what I do recommend getting is a "VIP Club Dining Card". I constantly save anywhere from 10-25% off on my checks at selected restaurants, free appetizers, buy1get1 free's, it's certainly worth it. I do realize something like this is down the road a good bit, you know, like something you would eventually look into after moving to Savannah, but I'm pointing it out as some incentive, somewhat of a small perk to living in Savannah. We have a good number of small little local discount clubs to get our local economy stirring, Savannah is big on supporting local businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Thunderbolt or Wilmington Island both have pubs within walking distance - and condominiums.

There's the whole ocean right next to Tybee, more restaurants, more places to drink, and a strange little grocery for last minute necessities. And you can walk or ride your bike to virtually everything there with little or no hassle.

I have to disagree with a few points on that. Yes, Tybee has an ocean, however it does not have more restaurants, and more places to drink. Unique places, nice places yes, but numbers not so much. Tybee is more quality over quantity, where it is the exact opposite on Whitemarsh/Wilmington. Unless you count the countless parties that teenagers have on that Island. I can't really speak for Thunderbolt, because I'm unclear on where Thunderbolt "ends". Whitemarsh, and Wilmington do not have any over the top, nice bars. Off the top of my head, the first bars that come to mind are The Islander, Crow bar, Daquari Island, Shamrocks, and Beef o' Brady's which is a sportsbar/eatery. These places are all quality places to go kick back a few drinks with friends, play some pool, listen to some music, in a laid back atmosphere. Except for the crowbar...I've never set food in there...but from what I hear, it's not a very quality place. Dirty, dingy, kind of like the old Moon Ship..or Light Ship, whatever that old bar that resembled a boat was like. Whitemarsh has its 3 bars, two of which are in the Applebees and the Dawg House. The other is Sicilianos which is a pizza place/bar, the same quality as wilmingtons bars. Nice laid back atmosphere to kick back a few drinks, watch the race, and shoot some pool.

Last edited by s.car; 01-21-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 AM

" The Islander, Crow bar, Daquari Island, Shamrocks, and Beef o' Brady's which is a sportsbar/eatery. These places are all quality places to go kick back a few drinks with friends, play some pool, listen to some music, in a laid back atmosphere. Except for the crowbar...I've never set food in there...but from what I hear, it's not a very quality place. Dirty, dingy, kind of like the old Moon Ship..or Light Ship, whatever that old bar that resembled a boat was like...."

Been in them all.
You missed Cheers, and The Britannia, and a few more tho.
My take...
Crowbar...nope, just what you said.
Cheers...nope. A buncha true locals that won't give you a chance to fit in.
The Britannia... once in a while with friends. Mostly a younger, and louder crowd.
The Islander...My home, away from home. Every time I go in there I make a new friend. and the bartenders are the nicest ones I've met yet. Looks, and attitude.

And if you're a senior in high school, why the heck have you been in all these places anyway?
Just askin', is all.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM

42 posts, read 132,714 times
I'll list them.

Crowbar - never been in there.
The Islander - Used to go there on some Wednesdays to play pool with my mom and my brother.
Daquari Island, the old pizza hut? - Never been in there, but I hear nothing but negative stories
Sicilianos - Used to go there also on some Wednesdays, to play pool with my mom and brother.

I also look a tad older than I am. Not a drinker though, I went to those places to have a nice little night with friends or family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area