U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

107 posts, read 200,070 times

Advertisements

Ok to make a long story short, my husband is currently stationed in Fort Stewart and next year when he returns from Iraq we are going to sell our home, and relocate. We have experience in buying (previous bad experience with agent) However we don't have experience in selling, how much will we need to pay out of pocket to close? We live in Wayne County I know the market isn't good now maybe 12 months out things will change. Any input would be most greatful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,646,249 times
Generally when you sell you pay your realtor's fees and any closing costs the buyer may require. You don't have all of that paperwork fees and attorney's fees. When we sold both of our previous houses we didn't even go to the closing. We signed the papers and had them notarized ahead of time.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Is it customary to pay the closing cost's? Do you know what the going rate of the commission?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM

We just sold our house in Savannah and the commission was 6%. Sometimes it is 7%. Our buyers were financed for 100% of the loan and had no money for closing costs. They had a VA loan and the closing costs were $6000.00. There is a place in the contract for closing costs to be written in. Unless someone is being relocated and their company is paying the closing costs you will most likely be expected to pay.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 AM

737 posts, read 2,289,461 times
The last five places I sold, the buyer was responsible for their own closing costs.
And commissions can be negotiated.
I've never paid more then 5%.
And once only paid 3%.
In this economy I'm sure they would negotiate with you.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Well we want to sell anyone interested We are relocating to Augusta area or Colorado

Last edited by officerwife2005; 01-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 PM

It used to be that buyers were responsible for closing costs but not anymore. The new contracts actually have a place for you to just write in the number and buyers expect to have their closing costs paid by the seller. You may get lucky. Our closing costs on the next house we buy will be paid by my husband's company but we are going to use the fact that the sellers don't have to pay the closing costs to negotiate a lower price.

This is how it is done these days.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Well we used our VA loan for this home so no money was needed for a down payment, and we agreed to pay full price and the seller were going to pay the closing cost. I wish we could go back in time 2 years ago before we decided on buying this home its a great home and great location but it's more for retired folks

Thanks for the input boilmkr

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Good luck to you. We lived in a great neighborhood, had the nicest house on the market, had the best lot in one of the best school districts and it still took 8 months to sell. I hope things happen faster for you.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Well we have 2 years my husband is deploying to Iraq in Sept for 12 months and when he returns then we are relocating. I hope things will work in our favor. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area