Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 679,942 times

Advertisements

Crime Rates Detroit, Michigan Savannah, Georgia United States
Violent Crime 8 6 3
Property Crime 8 7 3
The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime. Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Does not sound too bad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM

61 posts, read 209,123 times
Is the crime actually as bad as some people are making it out to be?
People over reacting?

Mid 20's family here moving in April with work-promotion.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
There are more dangerous areas and as in any city a little common sense. the Suburbs are quite safe
Letters to the editor | SavannahNow.com

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM

36 posts, read 112,145 times
Not only is the crime bad so is the local government and its response to the matter.

Good luck is almost non-existant in Savannah.

Last edited by ru-bare; 03-03-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
People are wayyyy overreacting IMHO.

I felt Atlanta is more dangerous...and hell maybe my viewpoint is skewed but after living in New Orleans I could live anywhere shy of Iraq. (And FYI I don't consider New Orleans THAT bad)

Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 19,941 times
Default i concurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
I have lived in Savannah since May 1994. If I could turn back the clock knowing what I know today, I would not move here again.

1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices.

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
everything you say is true

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 19,941 times
Default that is funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
"Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here. Unless you are gay / lesbian or a student. "

I don't have time to debate you, point for point, but I found that statement rather humorous.

So if I did not go to church, was not a student, does that automatically make me gay/lesbian? Always wondered about that....
the average person here is not religious the average person doesnt exist here if youre wierd and like wierd people this is your town

Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM

64 posts, read 343,880 times
Quote:
I have lived in Savannah since May 1994. If I could turn back the clock knowing what I know today, I would not move here again.

1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices.

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
I have been living in Dallas, TX since April 2008. I got a good job paying $15.86 an hour. The most I ever made in Savannah was $10.50 an hour. The cost of living is cheaper here and I won't have to constantly struggle like I did in Savannah. I don't miss the gnats or humidity which we don't have here. I would not change anything I said in my original post.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
I have been living in Dallas, TX since April 2008. I got a good job paying $15.86 an hour. The most I ever made in Savannah was $10.50 an hour. The cost of living is cheaper here and I won't have to constantly struggle like I did in Savannah. I don't miss the gnats or humidity which we don't have here. I would not change anything I said in my original post.
I have been living in Savannah, GA since July of 2007. I lived in Dallas, TX before and hated it. My job is much better in Savannah. I do not miss the blistering summer heat, terrible traffic, small trees, and lack of culture. I hated Dallas.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
I don't mind commenting. Maybe your "sensitivity" filter is just tweaked up a notch higher than your "common sense" filter.

The majority of crime in Savannah actually is black on black and occurs in predominantly black residential areas. I might not have chosen the same words, but what exactly is your guidance on this? Is the problem you see here a case of the facts not being worded diplomatically enough? Or was it simply that they were stated at all?

And then maybe you could address how Michael Vick fits into this subject. Saying that, "...people are making it a black and white thing..." clearly brings this topic into the catagory of prejudice or stereotyping in your mind, with all the implied unsavory aspects of judging people by groups rather than as individuals. Thus, how is your "Not being a southerner...." statement not doing exactly what shouldn't be done? It sounds perilously close to you adding that "everyone knows how Southerners are".... bless your heart.
Im a black man and i know it is a fact that the crime is black on black as it is in most places.I don't have a problem with a statement that is fact,however some will say those things without mentioning key factors.Like one major factor is ECONOMICS.Blacks do to racism,lack of access to good education and other reasons do not ,make as much.That said the poverty rate among blacks is around 30-35%.The majority of crimes more than not are committed by those who live in poverty,The majority of blacks DO NOT live in poverty or commit crimes.The majority have jobs,go to school, and obey the law.Every neighborhood that is black is not poor or dangerous.

At least she was trying to be sensitive to how SOME people might see things.Her heart was in the right place.However I agree with you rest your assessment of her post.You really broke it down.LOL,Im sure she/he did not intentionally mean to hurt anyone's feelings from the south though ,"awh bless her heart".

Last edited by afonega1; 09-23-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area