Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 82,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
My advice to anyone who is considering this area: Do not move until you get a job offer and a salary you afford to live on!!!!!
How often do people move to places without a job offer?

I've lived in 4 different states the past 12 years and would never consider a move without a job already in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 05:08 AM

291 posts, read 1,781,558 times
It depends on your situation. My friend did it last year and had no problem. You have to have the means to get by for a while without the income of course.The problem is most people find out what the max is they can afford for a house and then buy that or a little over it. I am going down and am going buy something half as much as I could afford and then put down over 50%. I don't want to be a slave to the bills.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:25 AM

64 posts, read 343,880 times
JVINC said in her original post "I would be moving to Savannah with a pretty decent nest egg but no job lined up."

I have sent e-mails to people in Canada, Florida, and other states who all want to move here without job offers.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Hi all....

Not wanting to stir things up again, but I wanted to comment on my experiences in Savannah.

In February of 2006 a group of friends and myself went on a mini vacation there. We walked out late at night with no issues, and would have never thought there was a crime problem there. People were the most friendly I had EVER met in my life, and the city is arguably the prettiest in the entire USA.

At the time I was living in Orlando and as I am sure you've heard, Orlando is having some serious issues. So I decided to do some research and move to Savannah. We started going up to Savannah every single weekend to look at the beatiful houses for sale. We quickly learned that anything in the Historic District or Victorian District was way out of price range. Houses were selling for 500k and above, and while beautiful I just couldnt do it. So we started looking in Ardsley Park. Anyone driving through Ardsley park would have to concur that it is absolutely amazing. Just breathtakingly beautiful for a city neighborhood. So we started doing research there. And that's where the crime came in. We witnessed first hand some events that really scared us. The very first day we were at Krystals (fast food) and witnessed some things I never want to go through again. I cannot go into more detail because it will scream of racsim, but I feared for my life. I didnt know what to do because I seriously thought we were all about to get shot.

We continued to visit and see more and more how bad crime really is. The last day we were there we had decided on a house in Ardsley. We were on our way out of Ardsley and I had gone about 2 blocks east too far (who knew it got so bad so fast?). Granted we were in a nicer sports car, so it caused us to stand out. We were at a stop sign turning to head back when 2 teenages on each side of the car pointed guns to our windows. Another older man was walking towards us and all I remember before I floored it was that he had lifted up his shirt and put his hands in his pants. Needless to say I was going about 70 in a 30 mph neighborhood.

So just 2 blocks from a house that was 400k for 3/2 I was almost robbed at gun point. A nice realtor finally told us the real deal about Savannahs poor black population that surrounds the inner city and how Ardsley Park seems to get the brunt of the crime. I started looking at Savannah Morning News (the publish a weekly crime stats page) and there were literally hundreds of acts of violence each week. Daily it seems cars were stolen from a 5 block area known to be very nice.

So eventually I gave up my dream and turned down a good job (making over 60k, so yes, there are some jobs there) and decided not to move there.

So this is coming from someone who drove into Savannah with awe and wonder and left with sadness. It truly is one of the most unique and beautiful places in the US. I still to this day hope some city surprises me as much as Savannah did, but without all the crime.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 PM

431 posts, read 393,538 times
Blueoktober,

Thank you for relating your stories here. I've been silent on this thread up until now because there are some here who want to push Savannah as this ideal, perfect place. It's far from it.

The crime as you stated in your above post EXISTS. It EXISTS, people. You can turn a blind eye to it (or live in another state and not see it daily like those of us WHO DO LIVE IN SAVANNAH). It's real and it's ugly and it's not getting better.

I work in the historic district. I deal with tourists and locals alike, every day - all day. The number one question I get asked is about Savannah's crime rate and how can they avoid "the areas" that are "bad". It's hard to convince people it's safe around the district when it isn't. Two co-workers were robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight coming into work at approximately Bull Street and Oglethorpe.

And I don't mind bringing up race. In Savannah the crime is mostly committed by young black men. Check out a Chatham County jail. My employer has a county deputy on duty during work hours and I've become friends with several of them. Their jail is 8 black inmates to every 2 whites. The education system here sucks and plays a big role in the cycle of poverty. Lack of education sends these guys out to the streets to rob you and I of what we worked hard to earn. And the police don't go into some of these neighborhoods! That speaks volumes.

The exterior beauty of Savannah is awesome - no denying that. Her interior isn't as pretty. Those that post here and sugar-coat the crime and race issues are disconnected because they choose to be. In their outdated eyes, Savannah is the gentile place of two eras ago. Wrong. It's one of the most crime-ridden cities in this country. Think before you move here; especially with children who will be attending school.

And to end, I want to mention Orleans Square. That place is almost dead silent every day. And has been since Jennifer Ross was murdered there just over 2 years ago. Four local college kids (white) were crossing the square to return to their car and three local black guys decided to rob them. One of them shot Miss Ross when she refused to give up her purse. He later said he shot her because "the ***** bucked".

Welcome to Savannah.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Wow....at first I couldn't remember if I was on the Savannah or New Orleans forum!!

Very sad that some of the most beautiful southern cities have been reduced to this..

I appauld you both for your honesty.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
I am moving to New Orleans at the end of April.

And I've been to Savannah many times, and grew up in Atlanta.
Savannah has got NOTHING on New Orleans.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,403 times
Well if you really want beautiful charming southern city similar to Savannah, (in which I have never had any problems in but know they exist and know people who have experienced the crime first hand), I hope I am safe in mentioning St. Augustine, FL. I don't think it is as large as Savannah but is very close to Jacksonville to make up for anything that St. Augustine lacks. I've have never researched St. Augustine but have always loved visiting it when living in Jacksonville. Doesn't have all the charm of Savannah but is similar. I hate to reccommend anything outside of GA but Savannah really does have problems. St. Augustine I'm sure has it own fair share of problems but I never hear it having any where near the kind of crime issues Savannah has.

I would still give Savannah a chance but check out St. Augustine just 3-3.5 hour drive south. Plus it is officially the oldest city in the nation. http://www.ci.st-augustine.fl.us/

Property is of course more expensive but still very reasonable with decent homes starting around 150K and it easier to purchase one without worry about being in a "bad" neighborhood. Really nice inner city homes are going to start around the same as Savannah too; 500k and up.

Good luck and enjoy

Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 24,649 times
Why don't you check out St. Marys, it's another old town and a probably a better job market (or you could commute to Jacksonville, my parents did)

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
There is a reason why so many lovely homes in Ardley Park are for sale and cheaper than they were a few years ago. They have had residents shot and killed there. They have a new police chief (with his own controversies) and they are trying to fight crime, but it is very difficult...we love Savannah and really thought long and hard about retiring there next year - but the crime and gang problems are not something we want to deal with...we are moving to Kentucky to an area where the air is pristine and crime almost non-existent - maybe not as charming as Savannah, but we won't be afraid to take a walk at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area