Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 14,194 times

Advertisements

The Savannah River Street Streetcar is a Heritage Streetcar Line . With a W5 class Melbourne Streetcar & Possible adding
More Streetcars that are Vintage type Streetcars.

But More than likely will be a Tourist & local , Novelty.

As a Novelty Street Railway that is becoming popular &
And also a development of hertage railroads .

There Cheaper to do than Modern Light Rail but Savannah,Georgia
Need Vintage Type Streetcars.

This Streetcar Line Is the First Bio Diesel Hybrid Electric Wireless
Streetcar Line is all North America.

But the Savannah Connect on the dot with Cat Transit is

Doing the Operations of the Streetcar Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
And...?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Yeah, and...?

Anybody know how short River Street is?

The City's been batting around the streetcar concept for a long, long time. This may be the first step to some sort of shuttle from the Visitors Center to River St. Maybe not. If so, it would make more sense than simply riding up and down the street.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM

The River Street Streetcar Was the key to the Streetcar Line from the Norfolk Southern Railroad Branch Line.

The River Street Streetcar Line is over 1 Mile long .

Savannah ,Has a history of Streetcars.

Heritage Streetcar Lines are more of a Novelty Street Railway.

especially these type of Forms of Heritage Railways are Really becoming popular.

Alot of cities has taking abandoned railroad tracks then change them to a Heritage
Streetcar Lines but more of a Tourist Line .

But Savannah has the River Street Branch line but also on MLK Blvd qhich is west of
River street.

I talk to the Savannah Mobility Manager about building a Streetcar Barn tgat would more
apporate for atleast 2 Vintage Streetcars . But there is also PCC Streamliner streetcar that will be converted to double ended with Bi Directional Car with
Bio Diesel Electric Hybrid Generator car ,

How about 2 Double Truck Birney Streetcars too.

But the PCC Streamliner is going hard to do but how about a Birney Double Truck Streetcars that is Replicas that will Bio diesel hybrid electrics.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,019 times
River St. isn't long enough to support more than one streetcar. Plus...keep in mind us taxpayers have to fund these things?

BTW, why do you type in broken english?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 AM

165 posts, read 507,429 times
Wow. Most everyone (myself included) would certainly benefit from just walking it! It's not that long. Just don't try to do it in heels...you'll end up in the ER.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Are you trying to sell us the idea of street cars for Savannah? Really, please read your postings over and try to project your purpose in posting a little better.

If English is not your regular language, the mistakes are understandable, but otherwise your meaning and purpose is not clear.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
I'm pretty sure the little streetcar is a done deal. Doesn't make much sense.

The last place we need more obstacles is River Street. Plus I don't see how it will help merchants if their customers ride by without the opportunity to stop in. Maybe the folks at the end of the line might get something out of it, but I don't see how it will benefit those along the middle.

And yeah yeah, sure the darn thing will probably stop occasionally--but how maddening will that be? The only good it would do is if it would bring in visitors from a distant parking lot and dropped them off on the river. Maybe I need to find the newspaper article...

http://savannahnow.com/node/556912
http://savannahnow.com/node/665358

I'm sort of guessing that the OP is someone with an obsessive love of trains and a poor understanding of finance.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM

165 posts, read 507,429 times
I do have a question about it since I haven't been following it closely (because I personally think it is a dumb idea). Will this prevent driving down River Street anymore? How would traffic work around it. I'm guessing it would just travel back and forth from one end to the other? If that's the case, then you certainly couldn't drive due to oncoming street cars!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM

The city of Savannah is looking into adding More vintage Streetcars .
I talked to the Mobility Manager about Savannah Heritage Streetcar operation
They are to add 2 or Vintage Streetcars to the Fleet.

But The Savannah River Street also has besides a Mile of Tracks in the cobble
stone .

There is .75 Miles On West MLK Blvd Street too.

Which is actually 1.75 Mile Streetcar Line

Savannah ,Georgia has History of Vintage Streetcars compared to Atlanta ,Georgia.

But River street did originally had a Overhead wire Line for the Streetcar.

These Vintage Streetcars are unique LRVS.

Riding a Streetcar is fun to ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area