Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 79,330 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on tybee island? I'm a young man with a fiance from a small town in massachusettes. I am looking for a quiet town to move to somewhere on the coast of georgia. I surf and found tybee island on surfline.com . I was intrigued and was looking for: A) Is there any surfers from tybee island? B) What are the pro's and con's for a younger person living on tybee? and C) It refers to tybee as " a funky place" to live. I was wondering what kind of vibe, if any, exists there? Any info to get this thread started would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 PM

351 posts, read 880,813 times
go to tybeeonline.com there is more info there

Old 03-17-2007, 07:42 PM

naw man, that was some crappy vacation guide link.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM

11,368 posts, read 24,338,315 times
Question is, can you afford Tybee? It's not fancy, but has gotten expensive. Expect to spend around 300k for a 2br bungalow or 1000/wk rent in summer. You might luck into something cheaper for the whole year if you can find something. Maybe if you're from MA that's inexpensive.

You might like living out there. Mostly it's a bunch of graybeards and sun-dried women, summer people, and an odd mixture of others. Great place to drop out of society. Lotta folks drink heavily.

Surfing is only occasional during winter, nor'easters, and hurricanes. Something about the shape of the coast prevents waves from building up. It's better in NC outside Wilmington and Moorehead City and maybe Jax beach. Former b'friend surfed, that's how I know.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 PM

thank you ellie.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:49 PM

351 posts, read 880,813 times
i gave you the wrong adress try this one http://www.tybeeisland.com/ and turn up your sound on the homepage goodluck.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 38,001 times
Default Tybee Surf

Tybee surf is almost nonexistent. A swell can be firing 100 miles south at Jax, or 100 miles north in the Carolinas, and Tybee will be flat. Further, even when a swell does make it through, it only works at high tide. When the tide goes out, the bottom drops out and it's time to go home.

There is awesome kayaking around Tybee and Little Tybee.

Property values have skyrocketed there, and, combined with Georgia taxes, this makes for expensive living. To take only one known example: My mom came close to buying a place a block from the pier just 6 or 7 years ago. Then, the asking price was $180k. (She wound up buying a beach place in Cocoa Beach, which was a great choice! I keep my surfboards stashed in her garage. ) Just last year, I was out on Tybee and noticed that same place up for sale again. I grabbed a brochure: $750k!!!!

The population swells in the summer with people looking to booze it up. And, unless I am imagining things, the island seems to have attracted not a few individuals of the lesbian persuasion.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,411,835 times
Default Golden Isles/Brunswick

Maybe further down the coast?

The Golden Isles>>>
http://www.bgivb.com/

The area is developing--and no surf to speak of.

Lots of nice communities.

sls

Old 09-15-2007, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 17,456 times
I vacationed on Tybee a couple times. Beaches were nice but I wasn't impressed with night life at all. Not very many nice night clubs. Ran into a lot of local, island natives, and they seemed pretty trashy. Savannah was a lot more fun.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,112,899 times
It would not be a quiet little town like you are used to. In winter, it is a dead little town. Nothing. In the summer, it's packed.

Further south, around St. Mary, Brunswick might be better, but I don't think that you will find surfing there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area