U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 AM

182 posts, read 664,808 times

Advertisements

Apparently I wrote one hell of a blog posting a year ago about how much I love Savannah but was afraid to move to the city due to the crime reputation. My entry caused something like 10 pages of responses. So I wanted to give everyone an update to the saga.

And there is a happy ending in here too.

I did move to Savannah. After making 3 house hunting trips over the course of 3 months my hubby and I put in an offer on a property in the Cuylor-Brownsville district.

So we do live in the 'hood' or close to it- but have not had a problem. I knew we were purchasing in a 'not so great' area and was verrry nervous about it. We have 2 dogs and our property came with an alarm system. But we have not had any problems over the past month we have been here.

Our neighbors are all polite and friendly. We do live across the street from 2 rooming houses but have not had any problems with that either.

I have not gone out for a walk after dark. I have parked my new vehicle in front of the house after dark and walked into the house with no problems. My hubby and I both park our cars in front with no problems.

We do know of a crack house about 5 houses down and I just never walk in that direction.

We have never heard problems in the street or had police incidents in the neighborhood.

But we have only been here a month- so to soon to make any informed statements.

But everyone is as friendly as they are to tourists. Our neighbors have been wonderful inviting us to dinners. Everyone knows everyone else in this city and have run into the few people we know over and over again at different restaurants and stores.

And Screamin Mimis is a great Pizza spot- they deliver too!

And the real estate market is picking up. Our neighbor is a realtor who has seen an increase in contracts and inquiries over the last month or so. (11 contracts in 1 month) Guess Savannah never hit a bottom like I saw in FL.

So good luck to everyone else deciding to take the plunge!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 AM

737 posts, read 2,286,630 times
And Thanks! for the update...
Been wondering about the outcome.
And it seems like you're doing everything right.
Welcome to the 'hood.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM

969 posts, read 2,699,057 times
That takes balls for whitey to move into Cuyler-Brownsville.....

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
That takes balls for whitey to move into Cuyler-Brownsville.....
And you made that assumption based on...?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM

well I am white. So assumption correct. But I think the city is majority black so I am a minority anyways.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM

214 posts, read 842,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
well I am white. So assumption correct. But I think the city is majority black so I am a minority anyways.
City is majority black and entire county is majority white.

I've got an awesome pizza place you need to try if you like pizza and you like NY-NJ style pizza.

Constanzo's Pizza on Waters in MidTown. Costanzo's Pizza - Savannah, GA

Also, I spoke with the owner of Chicago Dogs and Deli at the corner of Eisenhower and Hodgson Memorial Dr. and he told me that he is about to open a Chicgo Style Pizza place maybe downtown. Savannah doesn't have a pizza place that serves deep dish Chicago style so this will be awesome. The owner is a native from Chicago. chicagodoganddeli

Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM

28 posts, read 76,837 times
Default Cuylor-Brownsville was a good choice!!

Cuylor-Brownsville is not nearly as bad as people think and the area is still priced very low. This is the area that I am trying to buy as much as possible right now. I am very impressed!! Good job taking the time to get to know the Savannah Market!!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

I will check out that pizza joint. Thanks for the tip FFG!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
City is majority black and entire county is majority white.

I've got an awesome pizza place you need to try if you like pizza and you like NY-NJ style pizza.

Constanzo's Pizza on Waters in MidTown. Costanzo's Pizza - Savannah, GA

Also, I spoke with the owner of Chicago Dogs and Deli at the corner of Eisenhower and Hodgson Memorial Dr. and he told me that he is about to open a Chicgo Style Pizza place maybe downtown. Savannah doesn't have a pizza place that serves deep dish Chicago style so this will be awesome. The owner is a native from Chicago. chicagodoganddeli
And Sicilianos on Whitemarsh says they're from N.J. too.
But you still ain't gonna get Nu Yawk Pizza, unless you're in Nu Yawk.
Lived a lotta places, ate a lotta pizza.
This I know for sure.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM

214 posts, read 842,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
And Sicilianos on Whitemarsh says they're from N.J. too.
But you still ain't gonna get Nu Yawk Pizza, unless you're in Nu Yawk.
Lived a lotta places, ate a lotta pizza.
This I know for sure.
You know I wouldn't know because I don't travel above the Mason Dixon Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: