Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM

214 posts, read 899,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Was you talking about me , or the original post <LIL-UBN>?

My point zactly...
And we walk amongst them everyday.
Talking about the original postER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 69,899 times
Default Whats with "the warning" new28moon??

No offense or anything, but I have been following these blogs for some time and I have seen this post quite a few times! If you are going to make a strong statement like this why don't you be more specific? People don't do well in jobs-or anything for that matter- when they have bad attitudes.
And this thread had nothing to do with the white collar job market!
Enough already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
The white-collar job market in Savannah is extremely limited and the wages are low. That's why I left the area.

I try to warn everyone thinking of moving to Savannah about this.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence1 View Post
No offense or anything, but I have been following these blogs for some time and I have seen this post quite a few times! If you are going to make a strong statement like this why don't you be more specific? People don't do well in jobs-or anything for that matter- when they have bad attitudes.
And this thread had nothing to do with the white collar job market!
Enough already!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM

81 posts, read 306,482 times
About jobs and weather ~ are there any rehab hospitals in Savannah? How is the city for it's New Age vibe, are there organic and farmers markets, health food stores, funky cafes? Would one be able to live in a walkable SAFE neighborhood that is not a gated subdivision? How is hurricane safety and does the city flood a lot (and where) when there's a storm, or any time it rains? We are in NE Florida and need a change!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
About jobs and weather ~ are there any rehab hospitals in Savannah? How is the city for it's New Age vibe, are there organic and farmers markets, health food stores, funky cafes? Would one be able to live in a walkable SAFE neighborhood that is not a gated subdivision? How is hurricane safety and does the city flood a lot (and where) when there's a storm, or any time it rains? We are in NE Florida and need a change!!
<Biting my tongue!>
I'm gonna leave this one for Ellie.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
We have pretty much the same weather as NE FL.

Jobs...what are you qualified to do? I'd say we're about the same as where you're coming from, more or less.

We have three major hospitals: Memorial, Candler, and St. Joseph's. The last two operate as one institution in two separate facilities. There probably re-hab centers in each. I know Memorial has a facility the others, most likely do too.

New Age vibe? LOL Maybe a little but it's not the overwhelming theme. Savannah is fairly diverse but generally conservative.

Yes to small organic markets, I know of at least three. And there's one pretty good small health food store, the Brighter Day. If you're looking for the New Age Vibe, you'll find much of it centered right around that shop and the adjacent Sentient Bean cafe.

I'm bored with the neighborhood question. Plenty of good answers already scattered throughout this forum. Fortunately most in-town Savannah is not gated.

Same with the flooding issue. Much of Savannah will be under water if a Category 3 or larger storm hits the city at high tide. Hasn't happened in a century, but it's always possible.

I don't get paid enough here to enumerate the parts of town that flood. Contact the City engineers if you want those answers.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 11,904 times
There Is a small resort town in Delaware which is very welcoming a gay couples , and guys at all . The name is Rehoboth beach and it's famous like a small San Francisco , because of the number of guys there are . For the fob consideration the spring time is the best to find a job in there . Like a summer resort that's the time when there are most opening , on a sezanoal jobs , and I dont think it will be any problem for you to find a job .It's actually very depends from what kind of work you are doing , but anyway i don't think it will be a problem . Good luck to you and all the best !

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don&Ven View Post
There Is a small resort town in Delaware which is very welcoming a gay couples , and guys at all . The name is Rehoboth beach and it's famous like a small San Francisco , because of the number of guys there are . For the fob consideration the spring time is the best to find a job in there . Like a summer resort that's the time when there are most opening , on a sezanoal jobs , and I dont think it will be any problem for you to find a job .It's actually very depends from what kind of work you are doing , but anyway i don't think it will be a problem . Good luck to you and all the best !
And what does this have to do with Savannah?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
I had lunch at this restaurant on Tybee Island, on the road fronting the beach. Within my 1 hour of dining (I was sitting by the window) I counted 3 couples (2 were obvious) and 1 single lesbian walk by. It was not quite like being in Cherry Grove, but at least people were visible. Of course Savannah has lots of gay men and Lebanese (as my sister likes to call them) women.

I'm not from Savannah, I'm merely relaying what I saw. Not sure if Tybie Island is particularly sapphic or I was just there on a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c016107 View Post
My partner and I are looking for a warmer climate and are considering savannah. Should we be concerned, as two women, about being accepted? (primarily regarding our safety, I don't care if people like us)Chicago is huge and there's gay people everywhere, no one really cares! But would that be the case in a somwhat small southern town??? Also, any recomendations on the best place to start researching demographics? Cost of living, job market, etc? We are planning on waiting for the market to come back a little, but we wanted to get started before we plan a trip to start scoping out neighborhoods, any advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

19 posts, read 59,715 times
We just moved here last month from Southern CA (outside LA). We absolutely love it here, but I will say it does have a more conservative feel. I was amazed that people knew whose house we bought and told us the whole history of who lived here before us. People knew things about us (some true and some obviously stories that had grown) before we moved in. By the way people seem to know about each other, Savannah has a small town feel. I would guess, coming from Chicago, you would not feel completely accepted here. This area is so beautiful - lots of land, trees, etc. if may still be worth it to live here, plus I have not met even one unfriendly person.

Last edited by JoyCA; 01-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: wanted to add how friendly people are here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area