Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,796 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking for a warmer climate and are considering savannah. Should we be concerned, as two women, about being accepted? (primarily regarding our safety, I don't care if people like us)Chicago is huge and there's gay people everywhere, no one really cares! But would that be the case in a somwhat small southern town??? Also, any recomendations on the best place to start researching demographics? Cost of living, job market, etc? We are planning on waiting for the market to come back a little, but we wanted to get started before we plan a trip to start scoping out neighborhoods, any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,471,338 times
No one will really care one way or the other. There is not a huge, public "lesbian presence" here, though there are more than a few female couples. I don't think people notice.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 AM

737 posts, read 2,461,163 times
"...though there are more than a few female couples."

A lot more. I've met quite a few myself.
Some in the most unlikeliest of places.
And nobody cares if I call them my friends.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 AM

970 posts, read 2,952,955 times
There are some lesbians here, but be prepared to get "the look".

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

182 posts, read 711,724 times
I think Atlanta has a huge Gay presence, but Savannah has an unusually big gay presence for it's size. But coming from Chicago you might feel like "an unusually big gay presence for it's size" is about a tenth of what you are used to.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,196,349 times
I guess it will depend on where you go as to whether or not you get "the look." This is an old city. The locals were used to teachers living together, cousins living together, friends living together, co-workers living together. No on thought anything about it. This attitude was passed on to the younger generation.

Of course, if you choose a home in a section of town that has little to do with ANYONE except those exactly like they are, religion, skin color, nationality, etc, you might run into more looks than you would elsewhere. But I think you will find that sort of thing no matter what city you might choose.

Now, if you and your partner go about with an attitude that says, "look at us. we're having sex together," you can expect looks. It's like wearing a sign. If you seek out attention because of your lifestyle, you'll get it.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM

64 posts, read 344,054 times
The white-collar job market in Savannah is extremely limited and the wages are low. That's why I left the area.

I try to warn everyone thinking of moving to Savannah about this.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 PM

214 posts, read 900,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
The white-collar job market in Savannah is extremely limited and the wages are low. That's why I left the area.

Where is it better for a city the size of Savannah? Savannah has one of the better white-collar job markets for a city its size.

The problem with many of you is that you treat Savannah like it's the same size of major American cities. Pretty comical in my opinion.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

737 posts, read 2,461,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post

Are you gonna C&P this answer in every topic?
You didn't make it here, others will.
Just sayin', is all.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,471,338 times
Yes, there are jobs here. I've had several of them. I even found one during this current recession that meets my needs quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area