Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM

33 posts, read 107,147 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I was born and raised in Savannah (Wilmington Island specifically), and hated it. The education system is TERRIBLE (unless you're extremely rich and can send your kids to private school), the crime rates are extremely high, the white population is only 33%, and the job market is terrible. I went to May Howard, Costal, and finally Jenkins High School. The first two were okay with regards to safety, but I was still around narrow-minded trash who to this day work at blue-collar jobs like grocery-stores and restaurants. Then going to Jenkins I had to constantly worry about getting shot and every time I went to the restroom there were always a bunch of lower-class African-Americans smoking weed. I had to get out of this city, so I kept doing well in school and got into Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Thank God I got accepted there as now I will be able to maximize my quality of life and won't have to worry about my kids getting shot when they go to school in Alpharetta. I just want my kids to be able to live a better childhood than I did, where they can feel safe walking outside and going to the mall, and most importantly be around other kids who want to do well in school and succeed.

/rant

Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
A rebuttal to the techie

First the Demographics are 65% White and 35% Black in Chatham County. The Metro Savannah area is 75% White. Not that it matters but those are the facts.

The school system has been terrible but if you have been keeping up with the news, which I doubt you ever do, there are major changes going on in the Savannah school system right now. It is actually very exciting.

Violent Crime is way down and over the last few years and Savannah crime is no worse than any other city its size in the south and the area 30 minutes south of you is much much worse. I think it is kind of ironic also that you chose to go to college in one of the worse crime areas in GA. Techwood is a "safehaven". LOL.

I once lived not far from you and you couldn't pay me a small fortune to move away from Savannah back in to that grid lock traffic and awful air quality. You have to love taking 45 minutes to go to the grocery store 3 miles away. That is a "wonderful" quality of life.

I live on Isle of Hope with two young children and am so thankful for an area like Savannah to raise my children.

Enjoy the traffic.

GO DAWGS!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
HA! This is very laughable. A big reason is because I know this guy. He obviously doesn't check his facts.
I also am a graduate of the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System. I'll say this, the system is far from the best, but there are FAR worse school districts to attend. No, not all of the kids that attended the school system came out as failures either. A lot I know, actually MOST I know of went on to attend colleges and universities and are now successful graduates or are about to be. YES, that includes the "lower class african americans" that were mentioned above too.

I guess if you "hate" this city as much as you described, then I suppose you are better off somewhere else. Either way, we don't need any racism here which means we don't need you here so good riddance.

PS: You seriously need to actually explore downtown and learn about Savannah's rich history before you go bashing it. Being out on Wilmington Island doesn't cut it. From what I know/remember, you never really came downtown.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 AM

33 posts, read 107,147 times
You know me? What?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 AM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
A GT grad, one would think, would possess more brain cells than to waist time on an intenet message board & slam the city he's from, for no apparent reason.

That makes me think the OP is not telling us the truth about who they are.....

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
"Being out on Wilmington Island doesn't cut it."

It does for me.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 25,276 times
Jenkins is perfectly safe and normal. I never once felt unsafe at school.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 69,882 times
Default Quote but cant remember the author

"bitterness only breeds dysfunction."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodward3 View Post
Alright, so I was born and raised in Savannah (Wilmington Island specifically), and hated it. The education system is TERRIBLE (unless you're extremely rich and can send your kids to private school), the crime rates are extremely high, the white population is only 33%, and the job market is terrible. I went to May Howard, Costal, and finally Jenkins High School. The first two were okay with regards to safety, but I was still around narrow-minded trash who to this day work at blue-collar jobs like grocery-stores and restaurants. Then going to Jenkins I had to constantly worry about getting shot and every time I went to the restroom there were always a bunch of lower-class African-Americans smoking weed. I had to get out of this city, so I kept doing well in school and got into Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Thank God I got accepted there as now I will be able to maximize my quality of life and won't have to worry about my kids getting shot when they go to school in Alpharetta. I just want my kids to be able to live a better childhood than I did, where they can feel safe walking outside and going to the mall, and most importantly be around other kids who want to do well in school and succeed.

/rant

Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
"A GT grad"

That's all you need to know. The post does not surprise me at all.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodward3 View Post
Alright, so I was born and raised in Savannah.....
For one of these posts I bet you can find a dozen taking just the opposite position. I have never lived in Savannah, but I have spent plenty of time there. The place rocks. Some problem areas, yes... but as a whole, I rate it far above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area