U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,606 times

Advertisements

I am a single parent of a 2 year old and I work as a Nursing Assistant. I am moving to go to school fulltime (hopefully) at either Armstrong or Georgia Southern to finish my BA and be done with cleaning (and getting beat up by) old people forever, but first I must get employment and daycare leads and go from there.

Does anyone recommend a good place to work as a Nursing Assistant? Nursing home or hospital is fine.

And I am looking to find daycare that may have extended hours that takes state assistance.

I am hoping that I can reside on campus with my son and hope they also offer daycare on campus but if not I prefer to get affordable housing as close to campus as possible and maybe work parttime to cover what financial aid wont. Any advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 AM

70 posts, read 202,123 times
There is a lot of affordable housing around Georgia Southern and since Statesboro is a college town it does cater to the student population. I think Georgia Southern is a stronger school (although Armstrong is fine too). Not sure about daycares with extended hours but here's a link from the GSU site: Day Care Listing (http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/offcampus/daycare_listings.htm - broken link)

Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,606 times
thats wonderful info. thanks a lot

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM

33 posts, read 129,012 times
Savannah is a great place, but I'd pick Statesboro (less traffic, friendly people, cheaper housing, good University, decent shopping/restaurants)... and Savannah is only 50 minutes away should you need to get away.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 AM

3,890 posts, read 5,578,145 times
If your doing nursing I would check to see what the waiting list is for the programs. That would be your deciding factor. There are several assisted living facilities around Armstrong also.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 145,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera77 View Post
I am a single parent of a 2 year old and I work as a Nursing Assistant. I am moving to go to school fulltime (hopefully) at either Armstrong or Georgia Southern to finish my BA and be done with cleaning (and getting beat up by) old people forever, but first I must get employment and daycare leads and go from there.

Does anyone recommend a good place to work as a Nursing Assistant? Nursing home or hospital is fine.

And I am looking to find daycare that may have extended hours that takes state assistance.

I am hoping that I can reside on campus with my son and hope they also offer daycare on campus but if not I prefer to get affordable housing as close to campus as possible and maybe work parttime to cover what financial aid wont. Any advice is appreciated.
I lived in Statesboro for 2 years and loved it. It's a great little city. If you go to GSU, you can probably get a nursing job at the hospital in Statesboro (which is less than a mile from the univeristy and less than a mile from good hosuing). Statesboro is a straight shot down I-16 to Savannah if you ever need to go. Cost of living in Statesboro is a lot cheaper than Savannah and there's far less crime and less riff-raff in general. There's a lot of shopping and restaurants in Statesboro because it's a college down, which is great. It's also the closest "big city" to a lot of the rural areas in southeast Georgia (Evans, Camden, etc), so the city is generally full of people on the weekends. There's also a very nice theater in downtown.

EDIT: I just saw the part about you having a kid and needing daycare. I don't know about the programs GSU and Armstrong have for kids, but if any school will have such a program, it will be GSU since it's a residential campus and not a commuter school like AASU. The schools in Bulloch county are also far better than those in Chatham if your kid is school age.

EDIT 2: Also, I forgot that I read the news a few weeks ago that GSU may be ending their nursing program because of state budget cuts... you'll need to talk to the university to make sure they still have the program.

Last edited by coffewithwhiskey; 04-09-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or