Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,047 times

Advertisements

I agree with Ellie and the others too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I still believe that road should be widened and elevated though. Spring tides & flooding anyone?

As Al would say, just my 26 cents is all.

Now, back to the subject at hand...
The occasionally flooding Tybee Road adds something special to our lives (no joking). Why do we have to modernize the charm out of everything?

Remember the punch line to the old joke "how many Savannahian's does it take to change a lightbulb?

CHANGE????!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
US-80 to Tybee can very easily be fixed. If you ever drove on I-10 through the bayou's in Louisiana, that road is totally elevated, with pylons driven into the muck. The same can be done here. My concern is when the big storm hits (and it will) that road will be gone, for months afterwards (I saw what Katrina did to US-90 in the gulf coast) and people will have no way to get back to whatever is left of Tybee.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,914 times
My parents live on Tybee and until they retired they commuted to Savannah. They love it - but they were really looking for the laid back/casual pace of life and didn't mind the commute. But it is very expensive and there is little nightlife - especially in the off peak months - and especially for the under 30 crowd.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Jud

1 posts, read 1,598 times
People on Tybee have lost their minds, they want you to pay their mortgage for them by renting out their homes upwards $1500! My brother lives in Oahu (Hawaii) on the pacific, beachfront and he pays way less than that. Grew up here, its overrated.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 PM

38 posts, read 146,971 times
I live on Wilmington!! I love it! Ten minutes from Downtown, twenty minutes to the mall area ( 45 to the Savannah Mall but I rarely need to go there), eight minutes to Tybee!! Property prices here are less than Tybee. But if I did have the money, I'd be there. Good luck!!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 AM

99 posts, read 188,820 times
I've never understood the appeal of Tybee, then again I've spent most of my beachtime on the Gulf (Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Panama City Beach, Gulf Shores). I feel very claustrophobic when even driving to Tybee. You wanna talk about closed in and tight, that's Tybee. Just my .02 cents.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
People on Tybee have lost their minds, they want you to pay their mortgage for them by renting out their homes upwards $1500! My brother lives in Oahu (Hawaii) on the pacific, beachfront and he pays way less than that. Grew up here, its overrated.
You have it backwards. People on Tybee haven't lost their minds, it's the people that pay the prices who need mental adjustments.

Tybee has a certain charm that appeals to many. It's small, with little to do except drink and lie on the beach. But it's better than having no beach at all.

I love to ride out to Tybee. I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at the water and the marshes. But for day-to-day living? Nope, I want to be nearer to places to shop for the things I need.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I grew up at Jax Beach, with Neptune, Atlantic, Ponte Vedra, Ormond...all within easy reach. I haven't even bothered to go to Tybee except one time...and I won't be back. It's over-"everything" except its size, which makes the "everything" part that much worse. JMHO.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,743 times
Definitely avoid the beach at all costs. It's really a pain to drive to town through the marsh with few stoplights or Savannah crime. The road gets wet 2 or 3 times a year but doesn't stop traffic.
Compared to the accident rate on the roads in SAV the road to the Ocean is a safe soothing way to end a day and a shorter and quicker commute than many who work in Savannah drive every day.
I'd stay away from Tybee unless you hate the beach and love a gritty, dysfunctional old city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: