Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

It's unbelievable the amount of rain that has fallen in the last few days. Most unusual. We are all curious as to how much more we will see. This has got to be some sort of record rain for all of the coastal areas.
It was much worse in 1999 and 1993. Many of the splost drainage projects were initiated then. every 5-10 years we get this rainy cycle, the development puts pressure on the canals to handle larger volumes of runoff. During the dry periods, those low spots become developable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 PM

47 posts, read 237,227 times
Ardsley floods all the time.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 AM

165 posts, read 507,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A. Johnson View Post
Thanks to all. We are considering moving to the area and have previously looked in the Charleston area and were a bit concerned re the flooding there - seemingly much more serious than your area.
My husband is from Charleston and says that parts of Charleston are below sea level...so that would definitely cause some flooding issues. We have a higher elevation that they do, preventing the type of flooding that Charleston gets.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
would anybody know if there is really bad flooding in Evans Georgia cause my girlfriend lives in that part of Georgia, & all I know is that it is close to Augusta Georgia. Some one please reply cause I'm kind of worried about her.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

79 posts, read 416,622 times
Default Homeowner's Insurance

Is insurance higher in Savannah than most areas in Georgia due to being built in a swampy area?

Searching for homes in the area online, I noticed that there were no homes with basements and now it makes sense plus I am sure the red clay soil doesn't help. Some places such as in Houston Texas, this basement square footage is made up for in homes with extra square footage on the main living floors. Do builders in Savannah make up for this loss in square footage?

I have read previous threads, there is a lot of good info. Thanks to all!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
Searching for homes in the area online, I noticed that there were no homes with basements and now it makes sense plus I am sure the red clay soil doesn't help. Some places such as in Houston Texas, this basement square footage is made up for in homes with extra square footage on the main living floors. Do builders in Savannah make up for this loss in square footage?

I have read previous threads, there is a lot of good info. Thanks to all!
First, Savannah does NOT have red clay soil. It's sandy, coastal soil or it's drained, dried out swamp muck.

I don't understand what you mean by "making up for the loss in square footage"

A 2000 square foot house is 2000 square feet of what is consided living space. It does not include the non-living spaces like attics, garages or, if we had them, below ground basements. Those elements which are sometimes found in the basements, such as laundry rooms, storage, etc. are included within the floor plan of "living" space.

There are homes in the historic district that claim to have basements. This is what most of us would call the first floor. It's on the ground level. Those houses call the "first" floor that area above the ground level footage. This was where the kitchen and servant quarters were usually located. This type of constuction in practially unknown outside of the historic district. For example, standing in front of such a house, you would see a three story house. The owners may consider it two story with a ground level basement.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

79 posts, read 416,622 times
Padgett2, sorry for the miss wording. What I was trying to say is that since there are no basements, do most homes have a bonus room such as over the garage for a playroom or office.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
Padgett2, sorry for the miss wording. What I was trying to say is that since there are no basements, do most homes have a bonus room such as over the garage for a playroom or office.
It depends on the home. Some don't have garages.

Savannah has houses that range in age from unfinished new construction to houses that were built in the late 1700's. We don't usually have basements because of the high water table in many areas. Plenty of people have moved here (from places with basements) and tried building homes with basements only to find that they flood or are damp.

Insurance is high because of the great potential for hurricanes.

You can always use a spare bedroom, small den, or close in a carport or porch for a home office, if you need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area