Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 AM

147 posts, read 329,705 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what the area of East Bolton Street in Savannah is like? I am considering relocating and have found a house for sale on-line that is on E. Bolton. I went to Google maps and did the satellite map "street view". The neighborhood seems nice enough but I wonder about crime, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fay grim; 11-17-2009 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM

91 posts, read 308,492 times
thats a kinda rough area, but you never know for sure until you put boots on the ground and walk around the neighborhood

Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
East Bolton goes through a large area. It starts near Forsyth park in the Historic area, and goes through a large railroad semi-industrial area.

It could be good. It could be terrible.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 AM

13 posts, read 46,921 times
Kinda depends where you're at. But the overall area is on par with outer Queens in NYC or North Oakland, in CA. Ok during the day, not so much at night.

My girlfriend lived there over the summer and she was fine. She was able to walk around by herself during the day, the neighbors were real friendly, and the neighborhood itself was nice enough. But she didn't feel comfortable walking around at night by herself, and there were a lot of break-ins (cars and houses) in the area.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
East Bolton goes through a large area. It starts near Forsyth park in the Historic area, and goes through a large railroad semi-industrial area.

It could be good. It could be terrible.
Thanks so much for the replies-I really do appreciate everyone!
The house is on the corner of E. Bolton and Waters Avenue.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM

182 posts, read 711,298 times
offhand I would think it was okay but I dont think you would love it.

Car break ins would be likely there- but they seem to be likely everywhere.

Your neighbors would likely be renters or people who do not have 9-5 jobs.

Waters is too far away to walk to the historic district- unless you are young and fit. So a car/bike would be necessary to go anywhere. Though by car you are only 5 min from the historic area.

I myself live in a less than cushy neighborhood and actually enjoy it- so I am not a frightened person. But I would not want to live there because the area around me would not be where I want to hang out on weekends, and the area where I do want to hang out is not a short walk away.

I looked at a property on E.Bolton and E.Broad- it was not a cushy area but I did not feel unsafe ..that is as far east as I would want to be- because I still want to feel the downtown vibe of savannah.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Waters is kinda of the cutoff point to the Ghetto per neighborhood map lines. West of Waters is one neighborhood then east is another. The problem is the citizens of the Ghetto don't respect the line and wander over into the better neighborhood when they need a little money. A crack fiends preferred method of obtaining money is "scrapping" code for stealing anything that ain't bolted down per a lawyer friend of mine. Locked doors no problem, windows where made to be broken, bike attached with a wire, no problem it can be cut. wire can't be cut steal the tire. On this goes....

A good bet is to be about 2 blocks away from waters as this makes them exercise a little too much plus they also kinda of stick out.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Waters Ave. is a narrow, busy street. This is an old, old neighborhood. The houses are being renovated and some look quite good. However, with the housing market the way it is, things could go downhill fast as the projects don't get finished. There are still some really shabby houses to the east side of Waters.

If you seriously consider buying one of this "rebuilt" houses, be very sure to have it inspected for termites, old wiring and old plumbing.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks again for all of the insight!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
The area you're talking about is pretty sketchy. I would look for a place a little further west...closer to the historic district..preferrably on the west side of the railroad tracks.

Off subject briefly... I like your status update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: