Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,489 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide whether we want to move to Savannah or Charleston. We're taking a trip down to both places in a couple of weeks to try and get a feel for each city and decide which one would would rather make our new home. For job reasons - whichever one we decide on means that we will be living there for at least the next three years.

So, I was wanting some suggestions on things to do/see while we are in Savannah that will help us to get to know the city on a local level. I'm sure we'll do some touristy things and this and that. BUT I'm wanting to be able to leave there with a small glimpse of what it would be like to live there.

"Local" bars, restaurants, grocery stores, libraries, typical neighborhoods, parks that residents visit, etc.

Basically any advice/suggestions whatsoever that would help me get a better local perspective and just kind of get an idea of the general population in Savannah.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
that's a big question. You could say that there are really TWO Savannah's. The old Historic District, that has the squares, historic homes, residential areas, businesses, tourists interests and the Other Savannah, in which most of us live.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. Savannah is my home and I love it. And I will confess that except for a Spring ride to see the azaleas in bloom in the parks, I never go into the Historic District. The last time my foot touched the downtown sidewalks was in 1969 and that was because my son was marching in his school band at the St. Patricks' Day parade.

The eastern part of the Savannah/Chatham County area, is my favorite. That's where the marshes and rivers are. Some people are just as fond of the western side, but that's not my cup of tea.

I couldn't tell you about the bars, except that they are everywhere. Some are just for sitting at the bar and drinking, others are more like a social club and some even have bands.

Plenty of supermarkets. Two big Malls and dozens of smaller ones. Residential areas range from the $$$$$$$ gated communities to $shanty town. It would take days to drive around and see all of them.

Are you interested in golf? maybe living near a course would be your choice. The Bacon Park Sport complex has golf and tennis plus a lake with a walking path for the serious walkers. (Lake Mayer)

Charleston and Savannah are sometimes thought of a "Sister Cities." In a sense, they are. Sisters with entirely different personalities. Some people are crazy about one, some will pick the the other one

This area is not good for anyone with allergies. The pollen count can sometimes be unbeliveable! Add to that the problems caused by mold and mildew......well, if you have breathing problems, this area is going to be rough!

Sure hope you enjoy your trip. Good luck with your choice between the two cities.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM

411 posts, read 853,430 times
I throw in my two cents.

I used to live in Charleston, and its a great place. There are a ton of restaurants and things to do. But the cost of living is very high, IMO.
To live on the peninsula in a decent house, expect to pay in exces of $800/month to start.

A lot of people live in Summerville, but its rapidly filling up because it's so expensive to live on the peninsula. North Charleston is the arm pit of the area; the crime is VERY high, and there are few places to live there that are truly safe. Maybe if you got a security system and a big dog, but otherwise...

My husband and I are considering a move to Savannah so that I can go back to school at SCAD. We were there over the weekend and enjoyed ourselves immensely. We are downtown dwellers, so that is what I base my opinion on. I've been to Savannah several times, and it feels more laid back than Charleston; Charleston has this pretentious vibe...even the hippies are well-to-do. It's weird.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: