Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,862 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting a job at Savannah State starting this summer and will be making a trip down soon to find a place to live. My preliminary research keeps leading me back to Wilmington Island because it seems to be right smack in between the three sites i will probably spend most of my time at - SSU, Tybee Island, and River Street. Would yall agree that those locations are easily accessible from Wilmington Island? Any recommendations on apartment/condos/townhomes around there? what do yall know about The Oaks at Wilmington Island, Colonial Grand at Hammocks, or West Wind Landing? I'm looking for a 2 bedroom place and hope to not spend more than $1200 a month (preferably closer to $800 or $900).

I'm a 20-something, single female, so I'm looking for a part of town that is safe but also has easy access (10-15 minute drive) to things a 20-something would care about (restaurants, theaters, night life, the beach) .I also have a small dog so I need a place that is pet friendly.

thanks for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 32,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle13 View Post
I'll be starting a job at Savannah State starting this summer and will be making a trip down soon to find a place to live. My preliminary research keeps leading me back to Wilmington Island because it seems to be right smack in between the three sites i will probably spend most of my time at - SSU, Tybee Island, and River Street. Would yall agree that those locations are easily accessible from Wilmington Island? Any recommendations on apartment/condos/townhomes around there? what do yall know about The Oaks at Wilmington Island, Colonial Grand at Hammocks, or West Wind Landing? I'm looking for a 2 bedroom place and hope to not spend more than $1200 a month (preferably closer to $800 or $900).

I'm a 20-something, single female, so I'm looking for a part of town that is safe but also has easy access (10-15 minute drive) to things a 20-something would care about (restaurants, theaters, night life, the beach) .I also have a small dog so I need a place that is pet friendly.

thanks for any information you can provide!

Wilmington Island is close to downtown and Tybee, so I think it's a good spot for you if you're commuting a lot between those places. I don't know about The Oaks, but I've lived in West Wind Landing. They're a good apartment Complex. My mother and I lived there in a 2 bed/2 bath apt. for about $830/month 3 years ago and it offered an awesome sunset view in the evening. They're also pet-friendly, but I think the pet deposit is $250 per pet or something. On Wilmington Island itself, there's three bars and a couple individual restaurants but not much to actually do for entertainment so everyone leaves off the island for that. If you're willing to spend over $1000 for rent then I would recommend searching down Walthour Rd. on the island. Occasionally, you'll find a large house for rent and it can be a better deal than a small apartment for the same price. Rent for houses usually doesn't surpass $1300. So being 15 minutes from the beach and downtown, I'd say it's a good location. Plus, there's like no crime here. Lived here for nearly five years and never seen anything bad happen except for some unruly teens waving around a fake water handgun.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM

38 posts, read 146,954 times
Dito to everything said above!
I moved to Savannah in November and after 3 years and countless trips I chose Wilmington Island. I love it!! Both the community and the location. I live at West Wind Landings. You can get a 2 bedroom for just under $900. They run deals quite often as well.
There are many duplexes along Johnny Mercer BLVD you could look at, but I wanted instant neighbors. There are a few 2 bedroom condos (Criagslist) for rent on the island but the apartment has more square footage!
I Googled and read all the reviews for the apartment complexes you listed when I was making my decision. What people had to say (or didn't say) about the different complexes help me, too. Let me know if you need phone numbers.
Good luck!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Mia, you should change your location from TN to GA.

As all have said, Wilmington Island is the ideal location and I agree with each and every one of them. I spent most of my life living out there and it's a great place. Pretty much crime free, stuff to do (except for a mall, theater or bowling alley..and those are all close by anyway) location is exactly between Historic Downtown and Tybee Island. SSU is a 10 minute drive.
All apartment complexes you mentioned are decent ones. Confine your search and see which one offers the best deal.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,862 times
Thank you guys so much!! i appreciate all of your info, opinions, and affirmation that WI is a good place to live. i'm very excited to get there!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
I lived in the Oaks, three years ago it was nice..now its a pit. I dont want to go into all the negatives, but if you must live there try and live on the top floor away from the pool area.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 AM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
Anyone know of a good realtor, especially one experienced at representing buyers, who knows Wilmington Island well? My wife and I are making a trip soon to look at a few things that way. Feel free to DM me if you prefer and thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 146,954 times
NCBND check your "Direct Messages". I sent you some information on a Realtor.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
Thank you very much, I appreciate the information.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 AM

74 posts, read 288,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I lived in the Oaks, three years ago it was nice..now its a pit. I dont want to go into all the negatives, but if you must live there try and live on the top floor away from the pool area.
Can you elaborate on your experience? We are considering moving to The Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: