Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 117,522 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving this fall and we're trying to find a few good Chevy (GM) dealerships for him to apply for work with. What Chevy/GM dealerships have a good reputation in Savannah? How is Coastal/Vaden?

I also am looking for a good insurance company in Richmond Hill - anyone know of any good agents to work for?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by julierob29; 04-23-2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: oops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,217,480 times
Let me see if I have this right. You are planning to move to Savannah in a few months and neither one of you will have a job. Sounds as if you really need to plan a lot.

The Dan Vaden group is the only one (I think) within the Savannah area for Chevy. Critz sells Caddies and GMs. Those two are just about his best bet. I don't know if either of the two are hiring at this time. They are both close to each other on Abercorn Street so that even if he could get down for just a day, it might be a good thing.

Richmond Hill??? That's going to be a long commute to get to the automotive dealerships.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM

How long before a move do you find a job? I think that 3 1/2 - 4 months is plenty of time personally. My husband is clean cut, good looking, veteran with 14+ years experience in the car industry and he works hard (not lazy). Good people are hard to find and almost any dealership would hire him on the spot. So not worried at all about finding a job in Savannah. If not Savannah, then we'll try Atlanta, but I wanted to live along the coast. We're going to be in Savannah for a week next month and he'll interview at any place with a car on the lot.

I am asking about reputations of car dealerships. When we lived in Arizona there were plenty of dealerships but some of them had sheister/thief/crook reputations and we don't want to be associated with cheats and liars (more than the usual dealership bad reputation).

Richmond Hill is about 30-45 minutes from several dealerships. Seems a pretty fair commute for a nice community, good schools with less than 2,000 kids in the high school, low crime, lower cost of living than in Savannah, a nice sized yard and a brand new low maintenance home to relax in... We currently drive 45 miles one way to work.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,217,480 times
OK then, if you are used to a long commute, the distance won't bother you.

Critz and the Vaden group both have good reps. They have both been in business for a long, long time. That section of Abercorn Street is known as our Automobile Alley. Just about every new car group is represented there. Ford, Honda, Chrysler, Lincoln....you name it, it's there. If he's a salesman, then there are also the used car dealers along the same route. If he makes his plans to include as many of these dealers as possible, he should have a good chance. None of them are what you might call a hole-in-the-wall dealership. Competition along that way is such that they wouldn't be in business long unless they gave good service.

Good Luck! I think you will enjoy your move.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Thank you! It's so hard to tell whether a place has a good reputation over the internet. Our realtor keeps saying other counties such as Effingham and Chatham to search but he's not given us any specific cities and with all the houses for sale I'm totally overwhelmed! The schools all seem huge and I need a high school for my daughter that is toward the smaller side (less than 1500 kids would be great)

Actually my husband has been a Service Manager for the last several years. He's the guy who talks to you when you bring your car to the dealership for service (or their boss).

We live in Phoenix for awhile but all the rude people really burnt him out - a little politeness and courtesy was evidently too much to ask for. We moved back to Iowa to take care of my elderly grandparents and they've now passed so we're trying to find some warm sunshine with friendly people! Oh please give me friendly people!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM

11,407 posts, read 24,506,370 times
There are also a lot of car dealerships in SC in the Bluffton/Hilton Head Island area. That will give you a little more territory to search for work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area