Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardy View Post
Sapelo Island was settled by slaves after the civil war. Isolated with little subsequent increase in population, the English spoke by slaves was preserved. In 1994 I spent some time on the Island, then with a population of 75. I stayed at Mrs Baily's rentals. I told Mrs. Baily I had come to hear Geechee spoken. She said the last person to speak Geechee had died two years ago. Still had a great time.
Now, unfortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, rich white people are buying up property from the original Gullah-Gheechee ancestors on Sapelo and building expansive vacation houses. It was bound to happen. There was no way the culture or lifestyle could be sustained without a subsidized economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Now, unfortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, rich white people are buying up property from the original Gullah-Gheechee ancestors on Sapelo and building expansive vacation houses. It was bound to happen. There was no way the culture or lifestyle could be sustained without a subsidized economy.
And this is very, very sad.

To my way of thinking.. If you want Myrtle Beach or New Jersey then go there. Coastal GA is like NOWHERE else along the east coast. Maybe the Edisto SC area a few pockets of FL but the entire strip of Coastal Georgia is so darn rural and rustic it is like traveling back in time. Sapelo Is. is a national or international gem and should be protected for both its natural and cultural heritage. Like Cumberland and the rest of the islands. Subsidized? Yeah put me down. That is something I will be glad to pay for.

I just visited Sapelo and camped out there. It's waaay off the grid and it is just awesome. It was a religious experience let's say. Let's keep it that way. Anyone who lives near here and has not been yet, you can take a tour of the island for only $15 on the DNR ferry. Get out there. It's unreal. Have you experienced a silent, pitch black night recently? (except the moon and the waves) You can there. Not many places like that left.

Building McMansions there is just plain sad. We have plenty of towns along the coast from Savannah to St. Maries, build nearer to a town or something. I am surprised the greedy lackeys at the County assessors' office there are bent on destroying their own county. Say goodbye to longterm tourism for a few quick tax bucks. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area