Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,201 times

Advertisements

Slide rules are indelibly associated with engineers and scientists of the pre-calculator era. However, slide rules are only capable of three significant digits. The use of more cumbersome log tables can give four or five place accuracy. Was all the wonderful engineering of yesteryear done using just a few place accuracy? I'm talking about early nuclear development, aircraft design, astronomy, massive civil engineering projects, etc.

Was everything checked by paper and pencil calculations or were huge, primitive computers and adding machines used? Curtas?

I'm in awe of the achievements that were made using calculating machines which would be utterly destroyed by a present-day, 99 cent calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Mind boggling those things put a man on the moon. In nine years. While today it takes 20 years to build a space station with every engineer having Pentium 4 PCs with all sorts of modeling tools available to them on their desks.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I used a slide rule in highschool and in college. I served 20+ years in the US Navy, mostly on subs where I used a slide rule routinely.

Our hull design;
sonar systems;
hydraulic plants;
the nuclear reactor;
the system that launches the missiles [they can 'throw' a missile so hard that from 150 feet underwater the missile will fly up and out of the water and then continue another 500 foot in the air, where the missile will ignite. The test the missile launch system using a 75-tonne cylinder of concrete that we throw in the air];
the missiles themselves [which fly through the atmosphere to vacuum then orbit and line-up on their first target, then after dropping the first payload they re-orient themselves onto their next target, again and again for all 14 payloads/targets];
our atmosphere monitoring systems [each gas in our atmosphere is monitored separately and dealt with separately];
Oxygen generators;
the list of amazing equipment goes on and on.

My primary system was a mainframe computer which navigates. By controlling a bunch of very accurate inertial instruments [gyros and accelerometers all on gimbals] they calculate every acceleration to derive velocities, to navigate by. But to do this we first have to map the gravity wells of the planet, and measure the gravity forces exerted on us by the sun, moon, and each planet in our system. We need to know all of these ever-changing numbers and plug them into formulas which are all dynamic, and needed to navigate underwater for months at a time. While my computer did very long formulas all the time, we had to re-check each input periodically for reasonableness to ensure the believability of the output from those formulas.

The Defense Contractor Tech-reps that assist us commonly would rotate between working on our gear and working with NASA. A lot of the same formulas are used in both situations, along with many very similar equipment.

And it was all done using slide rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology