Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times

Advertisements

it woudl be better to build a bethonal algea fuel processing plant, honestly no hazard waste, and unlimited clean energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
it woudl be better to build a bethonal algea fuel processing plant, honestly no hazard waste, and unlimited clean energy.
Pond-Powered Biofuels: Turning Algae into America's New Energy - Popular Mechanics

That could possibly help replace oil. But we don't produce electricity with internal combustion engines, or at least not very often. How does that help our large scale electrical needs?

Edit:http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2002/08/54456

According to this article, they are at about 10% efficiency. Apparently, 50% efficiency would put it competitive with oil as energy. Admittedly, the article is a bit old, so I don't know exactly where they are now with it. There aren't that many articles available, really. But it seems to all focus on replacing oil as a fuel for cars, not much about replacing power plants.

Last edited by stanman13; 08-16-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Pond-Powered Biofuels: Turning Algae into America's New Energy - Popular Mechanics

That could possibly help replace oil. But we don't produce electricity with internal combustion engines, or at least not very often. How does that help our large scale electrical needs?

Edit:Algae: Power Plant of the Future?

According to this article, they are at about 10% efficiency. Apparently, 50% efficiency would put it competitive with oil as energy. Admittedly, the article is a bit old, so I don't know exactly where they are now with it. There aren't that many articles available, really. But it seems to all focus on replacing oil as a fuel for cars, not much about replacing power plants.

here is a more updated article from popsci, the fourth gen bioful is now 80% as powerful as fuel, i know wiki isnt that trust worthy, but just google it if you dont believe me.

Algae fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next Generation Biofuels Review - The Future of Next Generation Biofuel - Popular Mechanics

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
I do like this as a potential replacement for gas/diesel, but it still is a way off in the future before it becomes economically viable, according to both articles. And I still don't see where it is at all viable as a method for producing large-scale electric power, and I have not seen that possibility mentioned in any article I have read about it. I would support it for cars, but I still support nuclear for electric.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
Only problem would be that in the best case scenario, which IMHO is unlikely, this approach would only solve our transportation needs at it's most optimistic.

Fusion Power is the answer for our long term electrical needs with only limited waste with short half-lifes. Also the fuel supply is virtually unlimited.

Fusion power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are MANY older SCIENCE threads which go into far more detail on FUSION POWER as well as it's possibilities to end our species energy crisis with NO carbon footprint at all.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
I think it's pretty premature to be planning on generating a significant percentage of commercial electricity with fusion power. That's like talking about replacing ICE engines with nuclear batteries before the first fission pile achieved criticality in Chicago. Things probably aren't going to turn out the way you plan when you start trying to look 4-or-5 generations of down the line of a technology's evolution.

I agree with the OP that nuclear power should replace coal as this country's baseload power source. Then again, I think you'll find that 9 out of 10 engineers will say the same thing. Looking at the cost-benefit analysis, it's simple mathematics which leads you to this conclusion. It's the squishy non-STEM folks that need convincing.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I think it's pretty premature to be planning on generating a significant percentage of commercial electricity with fusion power. That's like talking about replacing ICE engines with nuclear batteries before the first fission pile achieved criticality in Chicago. Things probably aren't going to turn out the way you plan when you start trying to look 4-or-5 generations of down the line of a technology's evolution.

I agree with the OP that nuclear power should replace coal as this country's baseload power source. Then again, I think you'll find that 9 out of 10 engineers will say the same thing. Looking at the cost-benefit analysis, it's simple mathematics which leads you to this conclusion. It's the squishy non-STEM folks that need convincing.
LOL.....I AM the OP......FUSION POWER is the answer....I never said it's right around the corner; however we are far closer to commercialization than many posters realize......ITER will soon be finished(construction began in 2008) to show commercial and engineering viability. IF we were to employ a "Manhattan Project" type of urgency to this technology it would be online much faster>>>>>
ITER - the way to new energy

ITER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Ideas for ITER

YouTube - ITER- The Way to Fusion Power 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7xR...eature=related

YouTube - ITER - From here to eternity

YouTube - What is ITER going to look like?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 PM

I'm looking forward to it. Today we were talking about the various stages of LOCAs and what sort of modeling is needed to predict reactor behavior. When you start talking about generating ZrOx and H2 nobody's thinking happy thoughts.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM

You mean a Loss Of Coolant Accident.......A gaseous release????? Zirconium(Zircaloy) alloy melting?????? Zirconium DiOxide??????. And Deteurium?????? Are you referring to Fission OR Fusion power. ZrO2 is related to Fission Reactors and Deuterium is a Fusion Fuel. I'm confused a bit....could you be more specific?????

Zircaloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deuterium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM

H2 not 2H. I meant free hydrogen generated from the oxidization of the Zr in the (melted) cladding by dissociated coolant water.

I meant to intimate a very advanced stage of a major LOCA, because that's nicer to say than "meltdown". Like one where a pressurized fuel jet is now uh "squirting" out of the core vessel and you're trying to model whether the containment structure will remain intact with the ugly soup you've got inside. You know, somewhere between TMI and Chernobyl, but closer to the latter.

All fission. I have no idea about the problems with a Fusion reactor. I thought, if you have a problem where you lose containment on the fuel they just go "pop" and the plasma burns out almost instantaneously, like a big toroidal lightbulb. No mess. Nothing hot. Nothing (really) radioactive. Is that not the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology