Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 PM

240 posts, read 385,606 times

Advertisements

If the universe is infinte then every instance of possibility will have already occured and is in constant repetition. On the other side of the argument is that possibilities are infinate. There is also the thought that it is both. Recognising when a new instance is occuring is impossible since we don't know the extent of the universe that we live in. If we could catalog every instance as it occured in a linear pattern, would we see a predictable pattern that we could extrapalate and be able to plot what will happen in the future.
If we could do this would we be able influence what would happen or would the event occur regardless or would it only alter events afterwards?
I realize that these thoughts are only a mental exercise and have no definative answer considering our own limited knowledge of this place we call the universe.
My choice is that we are in a repetative cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I've given this area a lot of thought.
I think it will depend on how precise physicists can get in calculating a constant.

Here is some good reading:
http://www.metas.ch/LesHouches/downl...-Tannoudji.pdf

I wish I could understand more than 1/4 of it......

Even though most people interested in this do not consider the Bible, I do, and there are some verses which really do give repetitive cycle theory a reason for deeper study.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
I realize that these thoughts are only a mental exercise and have no definative answer considering our own limited knowledge of this place we call the universe.
My choice is that we are in a repetitive cycle.
This subject would probably be more suitable over on the Religion and Philosophy forum. Regardless, you say, "My choice is that we are in a repetative cycle." Repetitive in what way?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
If the universe is infinte then every instance of possibility will have already occured and is in constant repetition. On the other side of the argument is that possibilities are infinate. There is also the thought that it is both. Recognising when a new instance is occuring is impossible since we don't know the extent of the universe that we live in. If we could catalog every instance as it occured in a linear pattern, would we see a predictable pattern that we could extrapalate and be able to plot what will happen in the future.
If we could do this would we be able influence what would happen or would the event occur regardless or would it only alter events afterwards?
My choice is that we are in a repetative cycle.
It might be like Pi; so far, no one has seen a pattern.

If we're in a repetitive cycle, my analysis indicates that you posted this 18 minutes late because you posted this 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years ago and 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years before that; this time it was 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years plus 18 minutes.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If we're in a repetitive cycle, my analysis indicates that you posted this 18 minutes late because you posted this 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years ago and 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years before that; this time it was 69 trillion to the 69 trillion power years plus 18 minutes.
Proof that the expansion of the universe is slowing and we will eventually go through another Big Bang.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I kinda like one wag's theory that we just run out of time... literally.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
We don't know which infinity it is. Infinity has many different values and permutations.

For example, the number of points on a line is ∞, and the number of lines on a plane is ∞, so therefore the number of points on a plane is ∞-squared, and the number points in a solid is ∞-cubed, all of which are different values.

If the universe is infinite, with a dimension of ∞, there remain an infinite number of possibilities and permutations that are not within the limited dimensions of that ∞. Those would be the events that have not happened during the infinite life of an infinite universe.

If the duration of time in the universe is linear, it would cover only ∞ permutations of events, and not the ∞^2 of a plane, nor the ∞^3 of a solid.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We don't know which infinity it is. Infinity has many different values and permutations.

For example, the number of points on a line is ∞, and the number of lines on a plane is ∞, so therefore the number of points on a plane is ∞-squared, and the number points in a solid is ∞-cubed, all of which are different values.

If the universe is infinite, with a dimension of ∞, there remain an infinite number of possibilities and permutations that are not within the limited dimensions of that ∞. Those would be the events that have not happened during the infinite life of an infinite universe.

If the duration of time in the universe is linear, it would cover only ∞ permutations of events, and not the ∞^2 of a plane, nor the ∞^3 of a solid.
Infinity is not a number. An infinite set is a set with and infinite amount of elements. An infinite set with all the real numbers(an infinite set itself) taken out of it is still an infinite set. An infinite set with all the odd elements removed is still an infinite set.

∞ == ∞^2 == ∞^3..... They are equinumerous.

What is so interesting about the universe to me is given the huge distance of our visible universe, it seems to be quite uniform. The idea of it being infinite (suppose it somehow loops in time and space back onto itself) makes more sense than it being finite.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 PM

240 posts, read 385,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
This subject would probably be more suitable over on the Religion and Philosophy forum. Regardless, you say, "My choice is that we are in a repetative cycle." Repetitive in what way?
Haven't checked back on the thread for a few days, but I say repetitive in the way the laws of physics allows the universe to act within these basic principles such as a single celled organism to replicate itself for billions of years exactly the same way without change. It is an exact copy of the original organism. In this way it has expressed all its variations and reached a point where it no longer changes but remains the same and only replicates itself. Another example is a solar system. Each one is unique but they operate in the same physical reality of the universe. The same forces act on each one in the same way. Each one is an instance of variation but still even the new ones that are being formed are governed by the same laws that govern the entire universe. So even though they are new they are the same.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
There are too many variables and too much randomness to predict any uniformity or repetitability.

(Retroit's 1st Law of Repetitability. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology