Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,335,278 times

Advertisements

Given recent discoveries in exoplanetary studies , I've noticed they all seem to focus on habitablity and non gaseous surfaces. I thought to myself 'we are rather arrogant and biased in our quest'. It seems likely that life in any form would evolve to suit the parent environments as opposed to just 'pale blue dots'. Organics have been found in several places beyond Earth , and some of those places have observable electrical activity(lightning). The previous sentence tends to lean toward current evolutional theories involving a catalyst of electrical energies for production of aminos. However , it is beginning to seem rather skewed towards Earthlike lifeforms. Perhaps , even space itself may contain areas of interstellar life based on other elements besides carbon , silicon , and even any of the known elements. I know it may strike some as lunacy , but I'm sure this idea has been postulated before , just fallen upon deaf ears. Also , why not look into possibilities such as life that has evolved beyond physicality into pure energy. Basically , what I'm stating is when dealing with unknown or sparsely known areas , we should diminish the egotistical arrogance that we humans may be famous for(at least in the Local Bubble)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
It's only natural that people would be the most interested in things are are like and/or suitable for us. We are egotistical creatures, and from an evolutionary standpoint we have only barely come down out of the trees and stopped eating our poop.

But I do not doubt there are things out there that would blow our minds, including sentient energy aliens. The problem is, we just don't have the perspective to take it all in and understand it in a meaningful way. But given another couple million years, we probably could.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Reminds me of that old song, "Looking for God in All the Wrong Places" [sic]

Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Perhaps , even space itself may contain areas of interstellar life based on other elements besides carbon , silicon , and even any of the known elements.
You were doing fine until you got to "known elements" There cannot be any unknown elements, because we've filled in the gaps in the periodic table, and an element cannot have an atomic number that is not a whole integer, and we have a fair grasp of the chemical limitations of those elements.

Expanding on your thesis, we need to consider the possibliity that the entire universe is a living being, and the earth, or the solar system, or this galaxy, or the observable universe, is merely a tiny part that corresponds to a single cell in that lifeform. And we are literally a cancer, defined as "out of control growth". (Antibodies are on the way, at this very moment.)

It is possible that "Life", like Gravity, is a universal constant, which manifests itself in different ways under different conditions.

Interesting that your screen name is the name of a star.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-01-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,097,106 times
Looks like they've since found that the system is binary.
From Wikipedia:
This stellar system is currently one of the most massive that can be studied in great detail. Until recently, Eta Carinae was thought to be the most massive single star, but in 2005 it was realised to be a binary system.[10] The most massive star in the Eta Carinae multiple star system has more than 100 times the mass of the Sun. Other known massive stars are more luminous and more massive.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,142,238 times
No matter where it happens, Life will always find a way.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Check out Prof. Tom Gold's book titled "The Deep Hot Biosphere". His contention is that life started in stable underground locations using Sulfite/sulfate oxidization acting on primal hydrocarbons. This explains a lot about life on Earth before the phytoplanlton. The "black Smoker" hydrothermal vents may be an example.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Given recent discoveries in exoplanetary studies , I've noticed they all seem to focus on habitablity and non gaseous surfaces. I thought to myself 'we are rather arrogant and biased in our quest'. It seems likely that life in any form would evolve to suit the parent environments as opposed to just 'pale blue dots'. Organics have been found in several places beyond Earth , and some of those places have observable electrical activity(lightning). The previous sentence tends to lean toward current evolutional theories involving a catalyst of electrical energies for production of aminos. However , it is beginning to seem rather skewed towards Earthlike lifeforms. Perhaps , even space itself may contain areas of interstellar life based on other elements besides carbon , silicon , and even any of the known elements. I know it may strike some as lunacy , but I'm sure this idea has been postulated before , just fallen upon deaf ears. Also , why not look into possibilities such as life that has evolved beyond physicality into pure energy. Basically , what I'm stating is when dealing with unknown or sparsely known areas , we should diminish the egotistical arrogance that we humans may be famous for(at least in the Local Bubble)
Because we only have a certain ability to recognize life from the distance at which we are observing from. I there were life forms made out of energy how would we recognize that using the tools we currently have?

The nature of mass specs is such that it is limited in what it can observe, but if we do find amino acids that can be a good indicator life exists.

While I was at RU my profs were working on the astrobiology grant they got from NASA, it included a probe destined for Europa and one of the questions the posed to the undergrads was "if life existed there how would we be able to detect it?". It is a real issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology